1/48 Halifax 346 Sqn PN365 (H7-B) - Finished!

woody37

Well, that's an interesting solution Neil. If they turn the wrong way you might consider doing your model as the YAM Halifax. But then you will have to increase the wingspan as it has Hasting wings😁

I don't think I will go your route and use the FM props if the Tamiya props are too skinny. I intend to model a 100 group Hally.

Oh, and the General is correct, the Hampden is even more worse🤐

Cees

• Like 2

Must agree about the props, they look great, even if they'll cause the Halibag to fly backwards...I was thinking about casting some of my own for my FM but that, of course, hardly helps you right now... 

Oh, and the General is correct, the Hampden is even more worse

Sorry to thread drift a tad but this is one of the many problems with the Hampden, drastic surgery is required, you'll be pleased to know there's plenty more to deal with after sorting this lot out.

6-DSC-1408.jpg

2-DSC-1676.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Well, that's an interesting solution Neil. If they turn the wrong way you might consider doing your model as the YAM Halifax. But then you will have to increase the wingspan as it has Hasting wings😁

I don't think I will go your route and use the FM props if the Tamiya props are too skinny. I intend to model a 100 group Hally.

Oh, and the General is correct, the Hampden is even more worse🤐

Cees

Hi Cee's, 

Trying to get the FM blades right looks a right faff without doing one and moulding. If you go down that route, I'd gladly buy some off you though. Below are the 3 props for comparison

spacer.png

6 hours ago, general melchett said:

Must agree about the props, they look great, even if they'll cause the Halibag to fly backwards...I was thinking about casting some of my own for my FM but that, of course, hardly helps you right now... 

Sorry to thread drift a tad but this is one of the many problems with the Hampden, drastic surgery is required, you'll be pleased to know there's plenty more to deal with after sorting this lot out.

6-DSC-1408.jpg

2-DSC-1676.jpg

I'd gladly see one flying backwards rather than not at all these days! I think you should stop faffing with all this Airfix malarkey and get some props cast unless you know someone who can 😉 The good thing is they can be easily swapped at some point so I can always seek forgiveness from the ye fellow purists at a later date 😬

Funnily enough, I was looking at the Hampden kit last night I might need to follow your lead at some point Andy, looks like you've made some good progress there. There was an air of excitement when I opened the box lid at the thought of getting one done....unless a better kit comes out beforehand.....come on Andy, use your influence. I know a good training course for developing influencing skills if it helps? 😂

Edit....

I've just done some hacking to one of the FM props and getting the right shape out of it is doable without casting new ones. Whether you can do it consistently across all 12 blades is another matter.

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

There was an air of excitement when I opened the box lid at the thought of getting one done...

come on Andy, use your influence. I know a good training course for developing influencing skills if it helps? 

Ha, I had exactly the same giddy feeling....I thought, 'this just can't be as bad as everyone says it is'...bu,t I was wrong...it's far worse! From opening the box, to comparing to the excellent drawings that John (Adams) has given me, to quietly closing the lid and shoving it to the back of the stash cupboard probably took all of five minutes. However I relented and pressed on like a good little general. To give you a quick idea, except for the two vertical tail fins there isn't one piece of the kit that hasn't been altered, replaced, binned, reshaped and sworn at so far...and it isn't even near priming. Developing 'influencing skills' eh...now that gives me an idea.

I think you should stop faffing with all this Airfix malarkey and get some props cast unless you know someone who can 😉

Good Lord,  how on Earth would I pay for the vast quantities of single-malt and chocolate hobnobs we consume here?.....as for knowing someone who could cast them, well, I don't know what you mean :whistle:

The reworked FM prop looks good, do them all, cut em off then chuck them on the Tamiya Beau hubs...job done, it's that easy...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Ha, I had exactly the same giddy feeling....I thought, 'this just can't be as bad as everyone says it is'...bu,t I was wrong...it's far worse! From opening the box, to comparing to the excellent drawings that John (Adams) has given me, to quietly closing the lid and shoving it to the back of the stash cupboard probably took all of five minutes. However I relented and pressed on like a good little general. To give you a quick idea, except for the two vertical tail fins there isn't one piece of the kit that hasn't been altered, replaced, binned, reshaped and sworn at so far...and it isn't even near priming. Developing 'influencing skills' eh...now that gives me an idea.

Good Lord,  how on Earth would I pay for the vast quantities of single-malt and chocolate hobnobs we consume here?.....as for knowing someone who could cast them, well, I don't know what you mean :whistle:

The reworked FM prop looks good, do them all, cut em off then chuck them on the Tamiya Beau hubs...job done, it's that easy...

FM kits are the bondage of plastic modelling 😂 Not even going to do a search on those words together....the brain doesn't work that way, I need to do a search now 😂

Edit: Well that was interesting 😂😂

The thought about reworking all the props has crossed my mind. Just crossed my mind though!

Now, back to the influencing course, you're booked on for 6/7th January and the measure of success is an Airfix release of said 1/48 Hampden!

• Haha 2

Hi Mr.Woody37,

I suggest finding a wide 3 blade prop...B-17, B-24 or B-29 and using the blades. I have used a Tamiya tape master pattern and lay it on top of the wide prop...then shape it. It sounds difficult to start with but if you have a certain level of redundancy pick the best of the bunch and you have something. Yeah it mightn't be 100% accurate for my liking but the basic shape and direction will be there...and it will be much better than the FM props.

Just a thought...

Keep going with it.....it looks good!

PHIL.

• Like 1

Fixing the props are the least of my worries at the moment while I concentrate on scratchbuilding the cockpit interior. But as mentioned by Phil using Hamilton Standard blades might help if the FM kit blades are unusable. I have an old Monogram B-24 gathering dust somewhere.

But that is for later. I let Neil concentrate on that.🙂

Cees

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LongMan2 said:

Hi Mr.Woody37,

I suggest finding a wide 3 blade prop...B-17, B-24 or B-29 and using the blades. I have used a Tamiya tape master pattern and lay it on top of the wide prop...then shape it. It sounds difficult to start with but if you have a certain level of redundancy pick the best of the bunch and you have something. Yeah it mightn't be 100% accurate for my liking but the basic shape and direction will be there...and it will be much better than the FM props.

Just a thought...

Keep going with it.....it looks good!

PHIL.

I've got some B17 props from the monogram kit bur the diameter is much too small. A pattern can be made from the FM blades going off the experiment above but I'm not wanting to get in to doing resin castings if I can help it. I will of course help fund someone else if they choose that route. 

10 hours ago, woody37 said:

I've got some B17 props from the monogram kit bur the diameter is much too small. A pattern can be made from the FM blades going off the experiment above but I'm not wanting to get in to doing resin castings if I can help it. I will of course help fund someone else if they choose that route. 

B-25 propellers should have a more appropriate length in that case - but the question is how they compare shape wise to what you want to achieve

• Like 1

12 hours ago, elger said:

B-25 propellers should have a more appropriate length in that case - but the question is how they compare shape wise to what you want to achieve

Think they’re more like the Beau but will also turn the wrong way

• Like 1

I'm just wondering … the Beaufighter used Bristol Hercules XVII or XVIII with 1600HP and a prop that rotated clockwise when viewed from aft, yet the Halifax used a Bristol Hercules XVI with 1615HP and the prop rotates counter-clockwise when viewed from aft (from Wikipedia and photo's). Is that correct, and any idea's why the change in rotation for only a 15HP increase?

Just curious if anyone knows.

Colin

1 minute ago, dogsbody said:

All Bristol piston aero-engines rotated the same way, counter-clockwise, as viewed from the cockpit ( aft ).

Chris

I see my error, it's the U.S. props that rotate opposite, the Beaufighter props have a narrower blade! Just trying to figure out what to use when I descend into the madness of my F.M. Halifax. (I should read the previous more closely!)

• 2 weeks later...

The wings and engines are nearly finished now so it's time to move to the fuselage. I'm thinking of putting it away for a few weeks and doing a few quick builds that I can get over the line for 2019 as the output is pretty measly so far!

The evening has been spent riveting and tidying things up...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, woody37 said:

doing a few quick builds

Like an airliner or two!? See if you can beat Chris he's nearly finished his A300:tease:

The Halifax is looking good Neil, what do you use as a primer? Airbrushed or from a spray can?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

This is coming along brilliantly mate,...... loving what you are doing,..... the cowlings are fantastic and the rivetting on the wings brings them alive!

Is this prop set from Quickboost of any use? Obviouly you`d need two sets; https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/372696100056?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=372696100056&targetid=522577474463&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046663&poi=&campaignid=7412990548&mkgroupid=76068633810&rlsatarget=aud-629407026665:pla-522577474463&abcId=1139356&merchantid=10034574&gclid=CjwKCAiA27LvBRB0EiwAPc8XWR6IsP5X_1Q1t28lH2xt1lvdvHmWAtFlx4OToTUcNUYUaz_fwT3M3hoCBuIQAvD_BwE

All the best mate,

Tony

14 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Like an airliner or two!? See if you can beat Chris he's nearly finished his A300:tease:

The Halifax is looking good Neil, what do you use as a primer? Airbrushed or from a spray can?

Cheers,

Ian

That is a possibility but will probably be a few 1/48 fighters..or an airliner and one fighter!

I'm using trusty old Tamiya primer, I use it as much to find flaws in the surface as I do a primer. Not the cheapest method though!

8 hours ago, LongMan2 said:

Hi Woddy37,

Yeah I kinda like the work you have done. Keep going with it and forget the quick builds...thats just my advise.

Phil.

Lol, I did that last year on the Stirling and ended up with modellers block. Sometimes it's good to see some progress hence the need for something relatively quick

57 minutes ago, tonyot said:

This is coming along brilliantly mate,...... loving what you are doing,..... the cowlings are fantastic and the rivetting on the wings brings them alive!

Is this prop set from Quickboost of any use? Obviouly you`d need two sets; https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/372696100056?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=372696100056&targetid=522577474463&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046663&poi=&campaignid=7412990548&mkgroupid=76068633810&rlsatarget=aud-629407026665:pla-522577474463&abcId=1139356&merchantid=10034574&gclid=CjwKCAiA27LvBRB0EiwAPc8XWR6IsP5X_1Q1t28lH2xt1lvdvHmWAtFlx4OToTUcNUYUaz_fwT3M3hoCBuIQAvD_BwE

All the best mate,

Tony

Thanks mate. I've had a look at them mate but they don't look much different to the Tamiya offerings, the Halibag blades are much broader at the base. Sometimes naivety is golden. I thought they were the same until someone pointed out the difference!

Cheers

• Like 1

Come on Neil,

don’t give up now. You have almost completed the wings and engines.

the fuselage is the fun part when the thing comes alive while adding detail.

And it gives the forumites here a good insight into this unsung bombertype.

Cheers

Cees

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cees Broere said:

Come on Neil,

don’t give up now. You have almost completed the wings and engines.

the fuselage is the fun part when the thing comes alive while adding detail.

And it gives the forumites here a good insight into this unsung bombertype.

Cheers

Cees

Hi Cees,

I've been playing around with the cockpit and whilst most of it is wrong, particularly the lower floor height, for what is seen, completely scratch building it seems a little unnecessary. With that in mind, I'm aiming to use as many of the parts supplied in the kit as I can. My goal is to create an aesthetically pleasing build rather than mega accurate one. I'll do what scratch building I can to correct some of the visible areas but I fear that I may not live up to your standards....especially given that you know this cockpit very very well.....gulp 😬

The good news so far is that by shaving a little off the mid upper turret ring, the Airfix Defiant turret fits in nicely so can be dropped in at the end of the build :)

Here is some dry fitting, all very rough but just seeing how well the big bits fit together before we get in to detailing...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Fitting the side windows is a job I'm not looking forwards to. I'm tempted to open them out a bit and fit some framing behind as there's nothing worse and sealing a cockpit up only to push a window through removing masks!

• Like 8