1/48 Halifax 346 Sqn PN365 (H7-B) - Finished!

woody37

8 hours ago, Timmas said:

That really is beautiful modelling. I thought your Stirling was terrific and couldn't be beaten but now I'm not so sure!

Thanks mate :)

Funny you should mention the Stirling, whilst I had the white background set up, I too some photo's of the Stirling

spacer.png

and tried to get a photo of both...failed miserably! Look how the Stirling towers above the Halifax!

spacer.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, woody37 said:

and tried to get a photo of both...failed miserably! Look how the Stirling towers above the Halifax!

It certainly does. It sits amazingly high by comparison.

Incidentally, all that's needed now is for the 'other' four-engined legend to complete the line up. Any plans for it?

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 9:09 AM, Timmas said:

It certainly does. It sits amazingly high by comparison.

Incidentally, all that's needed now is for the 'other' four-engined legend to complete the line up. Any plans for it?

I've built a Lincoln out of the Lanc kit, built a Manchester but not yet a Lancaster! Well since I was a kid anyway but yes, got some Belcher engines :)

• Like 1

On 10/20/2019 at 2:43 PM, tonyot said:

Hiya Neil,...... I`ve had a look through the book,...... found a couple of photos and info;

- MZ737 H7-B which is an early B.III, there is a plan view photo depicting squared off wing tips. .... ex 158 Sqn, dates for sorties that I could find with 346 Sqn are-  14 July 44, 6 Oct 44, 9 Oct 44, 5 Dec 44. It wore the codes B, V & G and was  recorded as Stroke in French,... which I presume is Written Off or Lost in Action?

-RG646- H7-B another B.III, there is a photo of the crew stood in front of the nose, showing nose artwork of a duck with a club inside a circle, plus there is a colour side view drawing. I found a crew listing for a sortie in April 45 and S/C Derribaude is not listed in the crew.

-RG625- H7-B a Mk,VI, this a/c came from 347 Sqn where it was L8-A.

-LL573- H7-B?,...... the photo from the earlier post where we wondered if he was in the crew,...... the book does caption it as H7-B,.....however the tables actually list it as L8-E! The crew in the photo are L-R Sgt Letoublon, Sgt Berges,S/Lt de Miras, Sgt Blandin, S/C Bin, Sgt Lobelle, Sgt Picot. .... and they are a 347 Sqn crew,.... therefore I would say that the Halifax in the photo is L8-B,...serial unknown.

-LLl124- H7-B,.....no further details.

-PN365- H7-B,......your preferred aircraft!  This B.III only ever wore the codes H7-B and was recorded as on operations on the following dates,..... 21 Dec 44 & 13 Jan 44,.... delivered brand new and presumably lost or written off,..... the French description was Stroke? 

S/C. C. Derribehude was listed in the book,.....service number 81056, trade Radio Operator. He was in the crew of Lt. Barthelot in one sortie list that that I could find. 

I could not find my copy of the Air Britain Halifax File despite searching everywhere,.....if I find it I`ll let you know. If you want any more info or copies of the pics,....let me know,..... you are welcome to borrow the book too mate,

Cheers,

Tony

PS,.... I finished that little Arma Hurricane that I was showing you,....I`ve stuck it on RFI. 

Hi, MZ737 flew on plenty of other ops according to my Dad's logbook (so this was the Halifax I chose to model back in the 70s, using the old Airfix kit); not so many ops concerning PN365 in that logbook but of note: 6.12.44 Osnabruck marshalling yards; 18.12.44 Duisburg; 21.12.44 Cologne marshalling yards; 26.12.44 St Vith (Battle of the Bulge) "German strongpoint; hit by flak; diverted to Carnaby on return; FIDO" according to the logbook. The skipper in my dad's crew was the pilot, Lt Antoine Brion, not Barthelot (navigator). I've managed to fing my copy of Air Britain's Halifax File and it says: "PN365 Sold for scrap 14.3.47". A sad end...

• Like 2