1/48 Halifax 346 Sqn PN365 (H7-B) - Finished!

woody37

I had to make a call on the props so went with Tony OTooles suggestion of sticking with the Beaufighter pros. They aren't quite as chunky as Halifax ones but they turn the right way. I took the Lanc blades off the modified one and put the Beau ones back on. It's on the final straight now. Just the nose piece and turrets to finish off and aerial wires. I'm going to glue the wings on as whilst it would save space leaving them off for transporting, trying to put the wings on and off at shows without ripping off an aerial or sticky out bit somewhere will be virtually impossible

spacer.png

• Like 19

Looking really good Neil, hopefully when all this has passed and we get back to normal, model shows will start again and you will be able to show her off in earnest 

• Like 1

I didn't even know that Earnest had a model show. Right, I'll get me coat... On the serious side, beautiful work on the Halibag, Neil, although we wouldn't accept anything less than beautiful work from you. You've spoiled us, you see.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

What a difference those engines make don't you think? The last pics gives a very fine representation of HP's finest (excluding the Victor).

Wonderful.

Yes, it was a good move to get the Beaufighter engines for the nacelles and props

2 hours ago, Putty Animal said:

Gorgeous work.  That last picture above looks fantastic with the Halifax against a neutral background color.  

Thanks. for full span shots I've been using blue because I have 2 pieces, but only have one of the white cards so limited to fairly close up shots! I'm hoping Hobbycraft opens next week so I can get another for the RFI pics!

Cheers

• Like 2

Yesterday I got the nose on. This was a fight. The plastic was so thin that I had to be really careful not to dint it (only had one left after dinting the others!). Then I sanded the fuselage to take away the steps where the dome didn't quite match up. In rushing the paintwork, I ended up having to sand the errors back and redo everything....three times! Own goals but us modellers are far from perfect! 

This is the nose so far. It needs some slight weathering to restore the panel lines and chips that I had on previously. Also got the rear turret finished now that the barrels have arrived, the usual quickboost jobbie. 

spacer.png

The wings and undercarriage are now done too except for the aileron balance horns. This build has been an experiment in using oils for weathering so I've tried to replicate the typical oil, fuel and god knows what else that tended to mess the under surfaces up. Also got a restock of Albion Alloys thin brass tube which I used to finish the undercarriage detailing off. 

spacer.png

And the upper wings. I've had one of the wing roundels fight on this. I went through 3 Tamiya Lanc roundels on this wing and this has progressively cracked since applying despite being sealed in. I used my usual Daco decal setting stuff. I've tried to fill the cracks with paint but it may need some more work yet

spacer.png

spacer.png

The offending roundel. It's worse than you can see in this photo with lots of finer cracks in the blue areas

spacer.png

Not far to go now. Aileron horns, Rebecca aerials, mid upper turret and then the mass of wires that lived above the Halifax.

spacer.png

• Like 20

23 hours ago, elger said:

I think you made the right call with those Beaufighter propellers - they look great, as does the rest of this thing!

Thanks mate. I'd like to replace them at some point if any become available but other than making some, it's the best of the solutions.

These are the last photo's now before it goes in the RFI section. Finished the mid upper this morning using the Airfix Defiant turret & parts but replaced the barrels with Quickboost ones. Just the last sticky out bits to go on now

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Halifax could throw out a fair amount of lead when it needed to

spacer.png

• Like 25

On 5/31/2020 at 4:33 PM, bbudde said:

Wow that looks amazing Grand modelling here.

On 5/31/2020 at 6:24 PM, spitfire said:

Superb, just superb

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks guys, it's been a long one but it's finished now. I'll do an RFI tomorrow. 

edit, RFI link

Thanks to everyone who's supported and contributed to the build and the discussion, it's so nice to put the tools away and tide the bench!

spacer.png

• Like 21

Just your usual immaculate work, Neil - great job! Why if I could model that well, I might actually be doing some modelling myself now, instead of lobbing accolades other people's way.

Regards,

Jason

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CJP said:

Beautiful job Woody37

5 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Beautiful, great result!

5 hours ago, Learstang said:

Just your usual immaculate work, Neil - great job! Why if I could model that well, I might actually be doing some modelling myself now, instead of lobbing accolades other people's way.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks all,

Jason, all those part completed Avros on your bench must be causing you to procrastinate! Set a goal and get one of them finished :)  look forwards to seeing it

• Haha 1

What a fantastic achievement Neil.

You have captured the essence of the Halifax very well. At first when I saw your pic with the taped on nosetransparency I was put off starting again on my build because of the hose-nose appearance. But after you fitted the nosepiece and faired in the nose it was completely transformed,

Well done.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cees Broere said:

What a fantastic achievement Neil.

You have captured the essence of the Halifax very well. At first when I saw your pic with the taped on nosetransparency I was put off starting again on my build because of the hose-nose appearance. But after you fitted the nosepiece and faired in the nose it was completely transformed,

Well done.

Thanks Cees. The clear parts come out nicely after a dip in Kleer, just very fragile. To make it easier, it would of been better sorting the nose out prior to painting. Whilst it wasn’t far out with the sanding is already done, it was enough to require a bit of sanding here and there that I’d missed first time round. 

23 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

A masterpiece in every sense of the word!

Looking forward to the big reveal in RFI...

Tom

Thanks Tom, I’ll get it up later, I took the piccies last night :)

21 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Real nice Halifax !!

Congrats Woody !!

It's been a bitter battle but you won it with some panache !!

Well done !!

CC

Thanks Alain, it won a few battles but I think I’ve won the war 😂

• Haha 1