MiniArt 1/35 Soviet 1,5 ton cargo truck

JeroenS

This is a stunning project and I'm loving all the detail. One small observation if I may it looks in your last picture s if the cooling fan is touching the radiator, not an ideal situation on a 1:1. It may of course just be camera angle giving that impression. 

Roger

• Like 1

Thanks Hamden, glad you like it. I'm rather enjoying myself as well.

8 minutes ago, Hamden said:

This is a stunning project and I'm loving all the detail. One small observation if I may it looks in your last picture s if the cooling fan is touching the radiator, not an ideal situation on a 1:1. It may of course just be camera angle giving that impression. 

Roger

You're right, it is in fact right up against the radiator. The radiator was added after the engine, but I only noticed after the radiator was all set. I didn't feel like taking stuff off in order to fix it, it's all so fragile. So it seems we're stuck with it now 🙂 Not an ideal situation in real life, I agree!

• Like 2

The fact your enjoying yourself is reflected in the quality of the work that you are producing. Enjoying the hobby has to be the prime objective the combination of enjoyment and quality = fantastic results such as yours. Just my thoughts

Regards Andy

• Like 3

I've started work on the bonnet. The side pieces are molded with open louvres, which might please some people on this forum 🙂 ... A PE handle is attached, the one on the left was number two so it's looking slightly better but these handles were probably bent out of shape some on the real thing as well. 

20200205163527-a1373659-me.jpg 

I'm now busy mounting the struts. As you can see I've sort of fixed the steering column issue. This side will not be visible because the bonnet is closed here, the other side will be opened. 

20200205163528-772c4ffe-me.jpg

In order to get in the struts I need a top piece of the bonnet to push the radiator in its correct position. There's quite a bit of strain and the struts themselves will certainly not be able to handle it on their own. So I'm dry fitting a bonnet piece and glueing in the opposite strut. I can now paint this strut and the left side of the bonnet, which I then have to glue in before removing the right side piece and putting in the strut on that side. After that I'll be able to paint and mount the opening side.  I have nothing else planned for today so I'm hoping for a finished bonnet at close of business. 

• Like 8

Well that's one half of the bonnet in place, just in time for lunch 😉 

20200205163528-0c7cc835-me.jpg

Took a while, most of that time spent on dry fitting, adjusting and figuring out the right moves to get it in position. I'll scribe the panel line between the two halves a little bit. And everything needs touching up because of the handling so that's on the list right after placing the remaining strut. Then drybrushing of the forward part of the cab, so I can get the windshield in, before the opened other half of the bonnet goes on. Should be easier than the closed part. 

This is what remains visible of the engine, you can just see the left side strut. What I'm guessing is the air intake/ filter is now also mounted so the engine itself is complete. 

20200205163528-6d449b1b-me.jpg 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Alan R said:

Hi Jeroen,

That is truly a beautiful piece of work!

This kind of think inspires me to do better.

Cheers,

Alan.

Thanks Alan, comments such as yours have the same effect on me!

• Like 2

Jeroen.............. I echo what Allen says, your work is superb, and your attention to detail is fabulous, I'm not sure I could do anything close to what you have done with the PE, this is a gorgeous build, take a bow !

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Biggu said:

Jeroen.............. I echo what Allen says, your work is superb, and your attention to detail is fabulous, I'm not sure I could do anything close to what you have done with the PE, this is a gorgeous build, take a bow !

Thanks, but I can assure you that this very nice kit is itself largely responsible for what it looks like now. For the rest it's a matter of good magnification, a good pair of tweezers and the hope that small parts do not start pinging across the room. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just about time for dinner and the front windshield is in. 

20200205163529-b4c6bd93-me.jpg

That was fun... The funny thing being that there are two little knobs that go on the inside of the window openers, you can just about see one here

20200205163529-a66fb5cb.jpg

and, because it was a little while ago that I actually completed the windshield, I forgot about those little knobs. So I had to place them with my tweezers, going through the cab to the opposite side. The knob is about 1 mm in size... But, I got them in. One went Houdini on me, coming off the sprue. One moment it was there, the next it was gone. And after a few minutes I found it, amazingly. Must be my lucky day.

• Like 8

Tonight I spent a little time painting the remaining parts of the bonnet, which will be in the opened position. I found a reference photo which shows an opened bonnet, I think it looks really nice like this. A large part of the engine is still visible. 

20200205163530-a21e267c-me.jpg

20200205163529-43af0f96-me.jpg

I can now move on to the doors. I plan to leave the one on the driver's side opened, the other closed. 

• Like 8

OK, doors are painted, and I've put on all the decals and didn't even damage one! Must be very good decals. 

20200205163530-4073a888-me.jpg

I'm now moving on to the inside of the doors, some small stuff like handles and such. With the help of Tamiya Extra Thin I bent the hinges on one of the doors so it can be placed in the opened position. Well, not all the way open but still, a bit more interesting than closed. 

• Like 7

Doors are finished, they're very basic, just two small handles on the inside. No electric windows 🙂 

20200205163530-7f0be2c4-me.jpg

The door on the co-driver's side is in, it just needs a little bit of dirt and dust. And the door handle. 

20200205163531-aea36822-me.jpg

The door on the driver's side will be opened, but I'm not putting it in just yet. I think it will be a bit fragile and I still need to handle the truck to some extent. It will be one of the final steps. 

I'm now starting on the load bed. I've already drybrushed some gun metal on the hinges and such. 

20200205163531-77a53457-me.jpg

A bit of dirt and dust will be added as well, not too much, as I want it to be a used but still "new" vehicle.  Also, as this livery is for the "Municipal Trust Cleaning" I have put together some drums from the Opel Blitz kit which I didn't use. These will be water drums. Plus, I have this coming in

20200205163535-572e220f.jpg

which I think will make a nice addition. I will try to hook it up to the truck. 

• Like 3

I added some colour to the load bed, which wasn't too much work, and then I thought hey I might as well glue it down onto the chassis. And then I did just that, and the result is that we're getting close to a completed truck.

20200205163531-856b3b9b-me.jpg

Obviously my "snapshot ramp" isn't big enough 🙂 

20200205163532-6253663a-me.jpg

20200205163532-486ee0a6-me.jpg

Still to do: the headlights, some small parts which retain the bonnet, a little bit of weathering on the cab and running boards. Then wheels, which should be straightforward enough even though I need a spacer on the rear wheels because I found out I pushed the center part in too deep. Then the driver's side door and finally the drums and the little water tank if it fits the truck. 

• Like 8

Tonight I fought a small battle with the headlights. The attachment points are really ridiculously small. The parts are connected more by faith than glue. I think that If I open a window everything falls apart. 

However, it all does look very true to life. The rod on which the lamps are mounted is under quite a bit of strain, but luckily it's holding. There are minute pins on the rod which fit the equally minute holes in the fender. 

20200205163533-55482ba6-me.jpg

For the part that connects the lamp to the side of the radiator, there's not really an attachment point at all on the side of the lamp, not in the form of pin and hole in any case. You just push the parts together with a bit of glue in between and hope they like eachother. 

20200205163532-e224c6d4-me.jpg

The same is true for the connection between the lamp and the rod it's on. I'll have to be careful when painting this contraption. 

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Well done Jeroen - a first class job - I would have had glue leaking everywhere.

The award - Top Modeller - First Class :)

Steve

Well, let's see how it looks tomorrow 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Man.....the details that are in this one!!! WOW!!!! 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I am not ashamed - I have just stolen your GIF and will use it often - on occasions just like this  - thanks @mustang1989

• Like 1