MiniArt 1/35 Soviet 1,5 ton cargo truck

JeroenS

Hi all, all the thin rods under the chassis are now in place. I assume these make up the breaking system for the rear wheels, does anyone know if that's correct? 

20200205163515-b8312a2a-me.jpg

It's amazing how detailed the parts are. 

20200205163515-c846cd56-me.jpg

• Like 6

I believe you are correct.  mechanical brakes appear to be the technology of its day'

file:///C:/Users/south/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/32%20Ford%20Brake%20Adjustment%20(1).pdf

https://hotrod.gregwapling.com/car-spotters-guide/ford/1935tbrake.html

Edited by s.e.charles
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

for what it's worth, sometimes Ebay can come up with good reference material & photos:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-1935-1936-1937-Ford-TRUCK-brake-cross-shaft-assembly-51-2485-D-4-11/401783899136?hash=item5d8c2fc400:g:a2kAAOSwTPdc~wuP

ps: you don't need to bid!

Edited by s.e.charles
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, s.e.charles said:

for what it's worth, sometimes Ebay can come up with good reference material & photos

Thanks, that's a good tip!

Hey Jeroen, I'm watching with great interest from across the pond..............this looks to be a great project, and you are hitting it out of the park................ I am so glad to hear that the parts are coming off the sprues with relative ease, maybe the new D7 bulldozer IS in my future................... I have taken my original D7 out and am trying my hand at it again...... you sparked me with your Cat D7 review.......  Looking forward to more up dates on this truck, it is very cool.....

Jeff

• Thanks 1

Wheels! I had to paint the spare wheel before it could be mounted on the chassis so I thought I might as well paint the lot. Two front wheels, two doubles at the back and a spare under the chassis. The wheels are black, the tyres German grey. I drybrushed with some light grey and orange brown which gives a nice dusty look. 

20200205163515-cfcc6501-me.jpg

This should match the overall look I'm aiming for, a little dusty, a little chipped but otherwise in good shape. 

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Well those wheels have certainly turned out well, all 56 parts or whatever it was.:like:

58 with the 2 center hubs on the front wheels which I added before painting today 🙂 

Incredible amount of parts but they're the nicest non-rubber tyres I've seen so far. 

• Like 2

This is gonna look awesome when finished great work and it sounds like you are really enjoying the build which always helps. Crack on Jeroen let's see some more !

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this really interesting thread of a really interesting model. The MiniArt subjects are fascinating and none less worthy, but their break down of parts seems complex.

I’m pleased to see it coming together so well. 

Thanks for sharing and I hope see more very soon.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments and encouragements guys, very much appreciated! Best not to disappoint you all then 🙂 

The chassis is complete, everything that's supposed to be on there is on there, and it stands on its own 4 "wheels" now. 

20200205163516-05882614-me.jpg

The back, underside. 

20200205163516-6ff0103f-me.jpg

And the front. 

20200205163516-786f9833-me.jpg

Next up: painting al the grey bits so everything has a nice black basecoat. Note to self: be careful around engine and spare wheel. 

• Like 5

I still felt like doing something tonight so I went ahead and painted the rest of the chassis black. Radiator and exhaust are next, then the running boards. And doing some drybrushing on the chassis of course. It's definitely starting to look like something now. 

20220410080100-43145a2f.jpg 

• Like 6

Tonight's harvest: a radiator and a connecting hose, mounted on the chassis. 

20200205163517-dd2ccc9c-me.jpg

20200205163517-6504bf30-me.jpg

It seems to lean forward a little, I see now. Should be alright when it gets connected to the cab, the whole thing is quite flexible still. Handling is getting a bit awkward though, I inadvertently disconnected the PE parts holding the rear license place to the chassis. I was able to glue it back on but it's even wonkier now than it already was. 

20200205163517-40907b34-la.jpg

I doubt whether it will hold for the duration of the build. The connecting surfaces are really really small. If I break it one more time I'm replacing the license plate mounts with something more sturdy. And maybe I'll do that anyway.

• Like 7

Jeroen, license plate brackets and the plates them selves are usually the first thing that get bent on real trucks, as guys always seem to back into piles of gravel, or loading docks...... when you feel the bump, it is time to stop ..LOL.... that bent bracket is just fine detail................. I LOVE this build, man, it is coming along excellently................

Jeff

25 minutes ago, Biggu said:

Jeroen, license plate brackets and the plates them selves are usually the first thing that get bent on real trucks, as guys always seem to back into piles of gravel, or loading docks...... when you feel the bump, it is time to stop ..LOL.... that bent bracket is just fine detail................. I LOVE this build, man, it is coming along excellently................

Jeff

Thanks Biggu. Well, I don't mind at all that the thing is bent, like you said it's par for the course. I'm just afraid that it will keep snapping off the chassis. If that's the case I'll figure something out but I'll be sure to put the plate back on in bent state 🙂 

• Like 2

I can't give you much in the way of technical knowledge on this one just because I don't know a dang thing about this vehicle BUT...………….I do know some good modeling when I see it and you're doing good with this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is a small tip................. I just discovered this................. for those very small fine fuel lines or brake lines ( thinking of the very small lines on the D7 that you are going to build) to clip them off the sprue try using fingernail clippers, I tried that with the D7 with the brittle plastic and if one does it gently it works perfectly, even the smallest of lines come off with out breaking.... not sure if there are any lines on the truck that small, but if there is try the fingernail clippers... it does actually work, with care......

• Like 1

I bought a set of nail clippers. one for toes - big and cuts a straight line, and one for fingers - small & curved. most of the time I cut parts off sprue with sprue cutters but leave enough to trim close with clippers. part shape dictates which clipper I use. good investment.

• Like 2

Ah, right, thanks... I'm assuming you guys mean the scissor type clippers and not the ones with a handle that you push down? I actually have one of those curved small scissors in service for... well, trimming the stuff that starts growing out of your nose once you start losing it on your head, so I won't be using that one, but that is actually a good idea. I never thought of using those scissors for cutting sprues but I'm off to the shopping centre today to get some. 

• Like 1

no, I actually mean the kind with the little handle you push down, I tried it on some of those VERY fine lines, and with a series of small gentle 'pumps' of the handle it worked a charm, I think the reason it doe is, that the actual cutter part  is very thin, I am thinking ( and yes I know that's dangerous) that our regular sprue cutters are somewhat thick at the cutting surface or widens out maybe just a little too much and pushes on the small part or the sprue gate itself, and puts too much pressure on the tiny part, thus breaking it...........................do you think I have had a couple nights where I didn't sleep all that well, to come up with this stuff??🧐  LOL!!!

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/trim-deluxe-fingernail-clipper-with-file/6000188184725

Like this one...

Edited by Biggu