Airfix 1/72nd Gloster Gladiator Mk II

Bish

Next up i am building 2 Airfix 1/72nd aircraft at the same time. I started both and the weekend and progress is going quickly.

First up, the new tooled Gladiator Mk II.

spacer.png

I am adding some Eduard PE and a few Quickbost resin set. I'll be building an aircraft from 1401 (Met) flight as part of my Norfolk airfileds project, decals will be Print Scale.

The pit was quickly ready for paint with both resin and PE added.

spacer.png

After primer and paint, i added some light flory washes and some dry brushing. After this i could add the pre coloured PE.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And then the fuselage was put together and the lower wings and undercarrage added.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Don't think it will be to long before i get some paint on.

• Like 18

• 2 weeks later...

The Gladiator has come on really well, this is a lovely little kit. By last weekend it was ready for painting.

spacer.png

spacer.png

By Thurs it was primed and painted. All paints are Xtracolor, Ocean Grey and Dark Green on top and Med Sea Grey underneath.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And then the Print Scale decals. I have heard some people have bad experiance with these. But i had no issues. The dcals went down really well and just easy enough to move around. I also did some light fading where the fabric is stretched over the ribs.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next update should include the finished pics.

• Like 16

She's looking pretty good! My recommendation for the ribs would be to spray a light colour as a base, mask the ribs then spray the camo colours. Remove the masking and spray another light coat of the camo colours. That way the ribs are straight and evenly spaced, and the same colour, just a little lighter.

Ian

• Like 2

Thanks guys.

Ed, cheers, i will check that out.

Greg, yes i will be. I have only rigged once before the Airfix 0/400, so this should be slightly easier. It does come with a rigging plan which will help.

Got the Gladiator wrapped up today. The one pic i have of the real thing shows a larger than normal antenna mast on the fuselage and what appears to be another mast on the wing. I have seen pics of other aircraft with this wing mast, so i fitted one. I used EZ line for the rigging.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then finished it off by fitting to the base and adding a couple of figures. The decal instructions place this aircraft at Bircham Newton. But the info i found is a bit confuseing. But from what i can tell, they were at Bircham in 1942 when they were merged with another Flt to form 521 Sqn. But in early 43 521 were broken up and 1401 reformed this time at Docking, not far from Bircham. As i alreday have a subject for Bircham, i have placed this at Doking after 1401 reformed.

I had planned on having the pilot walking away from the aircraft after returning from a sortie. But as the kit includes a rather nice starting handle, i reversed it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for following along.

• Like 13