Airbus A330-343 Etihad "Visit Abu Dhabi"

Hi Folks, 

here is another Airliner.  This Project started, when I discovered a decal sheet of this Aircraft on eBay. I bought it and looked for an A330 kit. I had a Revell kit in the stash, but one look at the misshapen Cockpit Windows was sufficient for me to sell that one and buy one from Kurt Lehmann's Authentic Airliner range.

spacer.png

• Like 19

It is difficult to take Fotos from this model, as the Colour differs from Picture to Picture, depending on the sunlight.

I tried several times to mix the correct Colour. There are a lot of Pictures of the original Aircraft in the net, and here again, most of them look diiferent depending on the light. I finally choose a mix of Vallejo Aluminum, Revell Purpurrot and Revell Nachtblau, all Aqua based Colours.

I painted the Winglets and the Rudder Blue. There was a Dispute on a german Forum About that, but that is my interpretation of the original pictures.

2zhnghy7.jpg

Edited by NorbertBu
  • Like 5

The PAS-decals went on without problems, but the decoration on the tail was too small. All the coloured items had a White base.

spacer.png

spacer.png

and the coloured laser printed part had to to be fitted over that White base. Required strong nerves!

spacer.png

Edited by NorbertBu
  • Like 9

Oh wow - a stunning additional civil build on the forum - this looks quite superb and a great choice of livery from 2015. So, if its an AA kit it must be resin I am guessing making this quite a heavy build. I have the AA B747-4 but have not dared try assembling it yet. If you have any WIP shots, please let me know as I am interested to see how your assembly process went and if yu pinned the wings etc

• Thanks 1

OOOOOHHH PAS Decals - they are good - I've used them on a Wanula Dreaming Qantas 747-4 build before now, and like you, integrated AA's detail and window/flight deck decals for the remainder. Like yours, my PAS decals had the white colour blocking base decals that went down first however they did not 100% match the overlaying decal design (possible slight material shrinkage) which made my decaling a real challenge.

Thanks for reminding me about the white metal undercarriage that AA supply, I bet that A330 of yours weighs a fair old bit, but it really looks smashing

Tip top

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Cockpit window decal by Authentic Decals is supposed to be opaque, but it wasn't. So I had to cut White bases from Stripes. A lot of work, but it worked. (Sounds funny...I wish I was a native Speaker, but I hope you know what I mean…)

I contacted the Trader and they told me it was a faulty print and that they could provide me a new one in Telford.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by NorbertBu

Very nice indeed Norbert.

I think that's the first time I've seen a built Authentic Airliners A330 and it's most impressive. Congratulations on an excellent result and thanks for sharing.

Dave G

• Thanks 1

Wow, Norbert...she is beautiful. Like Dave, this is the first time I’ve seen an AA A330 built up, and you’ve done a smashing build indeed! Really like the detail you’ve included, and the color is eye-catching. Love this airplane...very sleek and quite stately. Thanks for sharing! Inspiring...looks like I’ll be spending my allowance this week on an AA A330! 

Hi Norbert,

Gorgeous and very eye-catching!

I know what you mean about the colour being difficult to match I found the same with the current Thai purple.

I understand what you mean about the Revell kit but with a Bra.Z replacement nose it's much improved. I am tempted by the AA kit especially for the much better looking RR engines though.

Congratulations on the decal work especially on and around the tail that looks like it was a challenge to say the least!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Norbert,

This is brilliant, I love the scheme and the attention to detail you have shown, it has really paid off... its good to hear how good the AA A330 is if I consider making one in the future... thank you for sharing.

Regards,

Alistair