Hasegawa 1/72 Draken presence of Aim-9 pylons inside the box

Silverkite

Not wanting to be pedantic, but do want to know presence/absence of pylons or launchers?

Pylons can be found on Draken a/c, they can carry external tanks, rocket pods, even some missiles (Falcon missiles Rb27 and Rb28).

But in order to be able to fire AIM-9 (Sidewinder, in Sweden either AIM-9B or AIM-9P) you need to mount a rail launcher to the pylon. The AIM-9 missile is then mounted to, and fired from this launcher. (this system used on many aircraft, for example AMI F-104G or S)

(Just to confuse matters, there are some rail-pylons as well, from wich you can fire rail-launched missiles directly. I am no expert when it comes to Draken pylons/launchers, I just cannot remember off-hand if the Draken had any such pylons, I have to look through my references at home..)

At least the BP-3 kit has the forward innerwing pylon/launcher combination, part no C3 (2x). No missiles, however. see here   

7 hours ago, Tomas Enerdal said:

Not wanting to be pedantic, but do want to know presence/absence of pylons or launchers?

Pylons can be found on Draken a/c, they can carry external tanks, rocket pods, even some missiles (Falcon missiles Rb27 and Rb28).

But in order to be able to fire AIM-9 (Sidewinder, in Sweden either AIM-9B or AIM-9P) you need to mount a rail launcher to the pylon. The AIM-9 missile is then mounted to, and fired from this launcher. (this system used on many aircraft, for example AMI F-104G or S)

(Just to confuse matters, there are some rail-pylons as well, from wich you can fire rail-launched missiles directly. I am no expert when it comes to Draken pylons/launchers, I just cannot remember off-hand if the Draken had any such pylons, I have to look through my references at home..)

At least the BP-3 kit has the forward innerwing pylon/launcher combination, part no C3 (2x). No missiles, however. see here   

I'm just after Hasegawa stupidity of choosing to omit said pylons ONLY from certain boxes while including it on the others, I scavenged the web but I can't find pictures of the contents of said boxes... call it OCD :D

Luigi

BP-3 has the forward pylons with launch rails, but no launch rails for the belly or underwing pylons. I'm not sure if the underwing pylons themselves change for the sidewinder (apart form adding the launch rail), what's in the kit would fit the Falcon's but IMO doesn't quite look like what's in the images over at https://lae.blogg.se/2016/october/fox-two-svedala-sidewinder-kommer-till-sverige.html

• Thanks 1

I've tried to check this yesterday evening, I cannot say if I succeeded.

This is what I've deducted so far, please note that I said deducted, I'm not 100% sure.

-The pylons F5 were used for AIM-4 Falcons, both RB27 (semi-active radar) and RB28 (IR). The pylons include integrated rails and therefore need no extra rail launchers. They were mounted under the outer wings (as in the kit) and/or under the fuselage (where the extra tanks, with their T52 fuel tank pylons (kit parts D5 & D6) are mounted on the model) Without having the kit myself (I'm a 1/48 modeller) i think they are part no C5 in kits

-Swedish sidewinder rail launchers are the same whether mounted on J29 Tunnan, J32 Lansen, J34 Hunter or J35 Draken. The rail is considered as an external store in itself and is not a part of the aircraft. From pics it looks like Hasegawa has captured them OK, it is the luncher part of kit part C3

-The pylon part of kit part C3 is peculiar to the J35J with its forward mounting under the air intake/forward wing (as in the kit)

-Sidewinders, with their rail launchers, are monted under the outer wing or fuselage on pylon S5. This is slightly similar in shape and details to the F5, but much lower and shorter. 

As a service to modellers, Saab published 3-wiew plans i 1/72, showing versions up to J35F, including Danish F-35/TF-35 and Finnish 35S. These have been reproduced in IPMS UK IPMS Magazine Nov/Dec 1981 and Jan/Feb 1982. The plans also included detailed 3-wiew drawings of the pylons, published in th Jan/Feb-82 issue.

Another very useful reference in english is the Aerofax Minigraph 12; Saab J35 Draken ISBN 0-942548-17-5 If you find a copy, get it!     

• Thanks 1

Thanks gentleman!

Scavenged the web even more it seems like their habit of playing hide and seek with Draken kits worked like this

BP-1 No

BP-2 Yes

BP-3 Yes

BP-101 No

BP-106 No

00047 01929 01968 02004 and 02281 Yes

00386 No

All SP boxes for Area88 (both old and new), Ace Combat and Idolmaster do come with them, ditto for Revell boxes

Luiigi