Revell 1/144 727-100 TAA airliner

marevic1

I was originally planning to build and finnish this one nice and quick and post into RFI.

Unfortunately I ran into a couple issues with decal placement ( all my fault ) and reaction from the decal solution on the paintwork so I thought I'd share my challenges :)

The kit itself is a very quick and good build. 

After sanding off the raised details, the fuselage was joined and filler was worked into the seams and windows to get a nice smoothe finish.

This was then covered with gloss white with dull aluminium added to the lower half.

I then added window decals and started the main livery decals.

spacer.png

I then started on the fuselage decals.

Unfortunately I had some alignment issue while trying to keep the window decals visable under the livery decals.

spacer.png

I fixed the gap by cutting a small section of the tail decal from a spare set and fitting it into the gap.

I then found the paintwork reacted to the decal setting solution in places leaving noticable spots and rings.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Time to do some careful masking and break out the AB again.

Edited by marevic1
Spelling
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Apart from the few blemishes you've highlighted, this looks great!

I've occasionally got spot marks from the setting solution - after a few cases I noticed that the ferrule on the brush used to apply the solutions had rusted, which was causing slightly brownish marks.  I too use Appliance White for airliners and generally this doesn't seem to be affected, particularly if any excess is removed with a damp kitchen towel immediately.

Mike

Thanks guys.

23 minutes ago, Skyhunter66 said:

This is an interesting build as I am doing the same kit currently! I've used Halfords Appliance White on mine - what are you using for the white on yours?

chris

I'm using Mr Hobby White (H1) thinned with leveling thinner.  I've just switched to Mr Hobby from Tamiya and love the stuff!

12 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Now that brings back memories- 🎶 Up up and away, with TAA the friendly friendly way🎶

Great stuff!

AW

LOL. You have no idea how many times that song has popped into my head while doing this build. 

I managed to fix the blemishes by lightly overspraying the effected sections.

I found that when reapplying the white it was brighter than the rest of the paintwork so I feathered the sections to blend them in.

I've also painted up and decalled the wings and added the aluminium strip to the intake.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by marevic1
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, marevic1 said:

Thanks guys.

I'm using Mr Hobby White (H1) thinned with leveling thinner.  I've just switched to Mr Hobby from Tamiya and love the stuff!

LOL. You have no idea how many times that song has popped into my head while doing this build. 

I managed to fix the blemishes by lightly overspraying the effected sections.

I found that when reapplying the white it was brighter than the rest of the paintwork so I feathered the sections to blend them in.

I've also painted up and decalled the wings and added the aluminium strip to the intake.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Looking great - yes I use Mr Hobby as well and love it. I also still use Tamiya with the levelling thinner which works well. Is the aluminium Mr Hobby as well?

18 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Ah didn't see the missing engines!

Umm... this is either unintentionally funny, or the driest comment on BM this year. :) Either way, well done young sir!

@marevic1, great to see an old Aussie bird (no, not Dame Edna) being built. I have a number of decal sets for those airliners of my childhood, and one day I'll make a start on building something to put them on!

• Like 1

Lovely work sir! Reminds me of old times, when the airport apron only had a chain link fence separating it from the lounge and aircraft watching was a visceral, jet-exhaust-rumble-in-the-guts, keening in the ears and burnt Jet A-1 in the nose experience. All of which is missing today, given our modern propensity for walling ourselves away behind thick glass.

• Like 2

A big thankyou to lan for pointing out that I messed up the flaptrack fairings. A huge DOH moment 🙊

So as carefully as I could I removed them and installed them facing the right way.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Thanks again lan 😀

• Like 2