This  was part of a branch group build amongst a small bunch of friends. I've already built one of these kits as a fighter and after issues with the canopy I came up with the idea that attaching the glasswork to the fuselage halves before assembling the fuselage would be the best way forward. As it stands of the three kits in the branch build, one id in the bin one languishes on the shelf of doom  but mine is finished.

20191017_095755[1]

I wanted to build a bomber for which the parts are already in the kit. I've always prefered the short nose Blenheim since being bought one by my uncle at the 1964 Finningley Air  Show. A fabulous end to a fabulous day for a young lad. The Frog kit has a different scale to the Airfix ones I had built ( See the Frog Squad Group Build elsewhere for loads of memory joggers). It came with little tubes of matt paint so different from the Humbrol gloss I has used before. My memory says the decals were for a early machine with the large yellow outer rings to the roundels So I was set.

20191017_095803[1]

I used the Xtradecal  sheet to make a 139  Squadron machine soon after delivery. I found a photo of the very machine in 'Bombing Colours by Michael J F Bowyer, a suitable retro reference for  a pseudo nostalgic build.

20191017_095837[1]

Thanks for looking

• Like 42
  • Thanks 1

That looks terrific.  I really like these earlier pre-War schemes.  Your panel line highlights look great.  Very much to scale.  Did this kit go together ok?  I ask because I recently finished the 1/72 kit of the type and had a devil of a job fitting it together.  I think it must have been me as I haven't seen any other complaints although I studiously followed the instructions.  I had to rip out most of the wing spar to get the fit even close.

• Like 2

Looks good. Mention of the Frog kit reminds me of the 'dogfight double' issued around the time of the Battle of Britain movie featuring an impossible pairing of an early war Blenheim about to be shot down by a Bf109f. Maybe there was a timewarp🤔

Brings back fond memories. 

• Like 1

Meatbox8. 

No real issues. If you attach the glazing halves to the fuselage halve then it all fits beautifully. The Undercarriage has to be fitted to the lower wing before the wing halves are joined so it does ed to be vulnerable to knocks and the intake'trumpets are best fitted earlier than stated in the instructions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silver Fox said:

The Frog kit has a different scale to the Airfix ones I had built ( See the Frog Squad Group Build elsewhere for loads of memory joggers). It came with little tubes of matt paint so different from the Humbrol gloss I has used before. My memory says the decals were for a early machine with the large yellow outer rings to the roundels So I was set.

Thanks for looking

That's a very nice looking build. The big yellow ringed roundels give it a very period look. The glass areas are a focal point of these planes and you have really got those spot on.

The earlier Blenheim you mention was one of the FROG box scale kits. Here's the Blenheim next to the Hampden. Kit standards have moved on quite a bit since then!

Tony.

IMG-7588.jpg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, cduckworth said:

Silver fox:

Very nice build.  I have the 1/48 yet to build.  What’s the issue with the glass parts in the building process?  

A number of modellers of my acquaintance have found fitting the completed  glass to the completed fuselage is difficult. Other have found  they fit OK. Either way it is an excellent kit.

Love the choice of subject/scheme.  Funny, I didn't notice the green squadron numbers until I had a second look at the pics.  The panel lines look a bit die-castish to me, but I don't know if that's the lighting or a wash you've applied (comment made primarily as a "second opinion" to a previous comment- not trying to provoke an Airfix panel-line argument). 

Another step closer to biting the bullet and ordering one for myself...

4 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Love the choice of subject/scheme.  Funny, I didn't notice the green squadron numbers until I had a second look at the pics.  The panel lines look a bit die-castish to me, but I don't know if that's the lighting or a wash you've applied (comment made primarily as a "second opinion" to a previous comment- not trying to provoke an Airfix panel-line argument). 

Another step closer to biting the bullet and ordering one for myself...

I think it is the light  bringing out the wash. The panel lines are  very narrow and not at all deep. 

Buy one, you wont be disappointed. I have another one in the stash

Looks lovely,...... don`t they look great n pre war colours? I`ve yet to start mine yet,...... so thanks for the advice re the canopy parts,..... same as the 1/72nd scale kit then!

Cheers

Tony

PS,...masking, wing lights! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

Looks lovely,...... don`t they look great n pre war colours? I`ve yet to start mine yet,...... so thanks for the advice re the canopy parts,..... same as the 1/72nd scale kit then!

Cheers

Tony

PS,...masking, wing lights! 

It is a really good kit, shame no Mk IV is the foreseeable  from whats been said on here.

The wing lights do look like they are masked on the photos but they aren't in real life. Photos play tricks, in the second photo down it looks like I have painted blocks of silver on the flaps but I haven't!

Take care and loving your detour into  tanksi

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Buy one, you wont be disappointed. I have another one in the stash

I nearly did, but I'm going to a show on Sunday where a chap often has the newer Airfix kits, so I thought I'd wait and see.  Meanwhile I'll just have to fondle my Classic Airframes ones.

• Haha 1