T-55A(Cz)

Ian

Tamiya's superb T-55A (Czech built), finished with Star Decals for an Afghan Northern Alliance vehicle in 2001.

0909eni.jpg

EeltZba.jpg

z0qL0Un.jpg

WdNkK8d.jpg

JPy7ud4.jpg

2ovef9p.jpg

vtlbPXF.jpg

TwDZ0JC.jpg

FQlDOaA.jpg

Only extras are the grills which are from the Eduard kit-specific set. Camo is Tamiya Olive Green and RAF Cockpit Green. Weathering is as you would expect - pin washes and dot filters with W & N oils, rust is red/orange/yellow and raw umber oils stippled with Vietnam Earth and Yellow Ochre pigments. Dust finish is Migs' Beach Sand mixed with AK European Dust, applied very sparingly on the hull & turret and thicker around the running gear and tracks. Still need paint and fix the tow cables and yes I know the tracks on the left side are a little 'off' in the photos I've already repaired that !

Thanks for taking the time to look and / or comment. Best from NZ.

Ian.

• Like 21

Thanks Darryl (how are things up on the Fylde ? - used to fly Microlights off the sands), and everybody else, really appreciate the feedback, never taken for granted.

Have a great weekend, best from NZ.

Ian.

One glitch with the Tamiya kit is that they forgot the enlarged hub on wheel station 1.  This was certainly fitted on the T-55A and possibly introduced during production of the earlier T-55 Model 1958.  It wore out too quickly.

Also, Czechoslovakia never built the T-55A: they carried on with the T-55 until 1983 and were the last producer of the T-54/5 line.  T-55A was built in Russia and Poland.  Which is the other key glitch with the Tamiya kit: wrong engine deck for a 55A.  Blast Models had an engine deck correction set with the rectangular grilles, which I believe is still available along with a more comprehensive update set.

Tahk used to do a resin wheel correction set with a pair of wheels, now long OOP.  But the MiniArt starfish wheel sets for T-54/5 and T-62 have the correct configurations.  A T-62 set will correct 2 Tamiya T-55s as T-62 had them on wheel stations 1 and 5, which Tamiya also goofed on their old T-62.  Whether the 2 companies' parts are visually compatible I cannot say.

T-54s are often seen with the enlarged hub retro-fitted as they wore out and it is likely that later Czech and Polish T-54s (built for several years after Russia changed to the T-55 from 1958) had them fitted during production.  Older T-54s can be seen with spider wheels on 4 axles and a single enlarged hub starfish on the front axle.  Bovington's T-54 Model 1953-based Tiran 4 is thus fitted.

It seems that Type 59 and Type 69 did not adopt the enlarged hub, but then they are based on the T-54.  I believe the introduction of the anti-radiation lining and other changes between the T-54 and T-55 changed the weight distribution and put more strain on the front wheel station.

Edited by Das Abteilung
addition
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Andy350 said:

How long did it take to complete, and did you start a progress thread on this?

Started in August, Andy but didn't bother with a progress thread here on BM (whenever I've posted them here in the past, nobody seems interested). I do have progress photos on a couple of FB modelling pages if you're interested.

Ian.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ian said:

Started in August, Andy but didn't bother with a progress thread here on BM (whenever I've posted them here in the past, nobody seems interested). I do have progress photos on a couple of FB modelling pages if you're interested.

Ian.

I'm interested.  As I am building something similar with the interior kit it would be interesting to see how yours went.  It looks a very complex setup.  Thanks

• Like 1