Eduard's 1:48 Bf 109F propeller used to replace the propeller on an Airfix 1:48 Bf 109E?

Sturmovik

I broke the propeller of my Airfix Bf 109E in 1:48, and as far as I know, both the Bf 109E and early Fs planes had the same engine, so I was wondering if I would be able to replace the prop of my 109E with the Eduard's 109F prop. Or should I avoid more damage to the plane and just leave it like that?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1

Ok this is what i found on the props. 

Bf.109E

“In late 1938, the Bf 109E entered production. To improve on the performance afforded by the 441–515 kW (600–700 PS) Jumo 210, the larger, longer Daimler-Benz DB 601A engine was used, yielding an extra 223 kW (300 PS) at the cost of an additional 181 kg (400 lb). A much bigger cooling area was needed to disperse the extra heat generated by the DB 601 and this led to the first major redesign of the basic airframe. Enlarging the existing nose mounted radiator sufficiently to cool the engine would have created extra weight and drag, negating some of the performance gains afforded by the increased power, so it was decided to move the main radiators to the undersurfaces of the wings immediately outboard of the junction of the wing root and wing panel, just forward of the trailing edges' inner ends, leaving the oil cooler under the nose in a small, streamlined duct. The new radiator position also had the effect of counterbalancing the extra weight and length of the DB 601, which drove a heavier three-bladed Vereinigte Deutsche Metallwerke (VDM)-made propeller.[14]”

And this is for the 109F.

“Development of the new Bf 109 F airframe had begun in 1939. After February 1940, an improved engine, the Daimler-Benz DB601E.” “On all of these prototypes, the fuselage was cleaned up and the engine cowling modified to improve aerodynamics.

Aerodynamic improvements Edit

Compared to the earlier Bf 109 E, the Bf 109 F was much improved aerodynamically. The engine cowling was redesigned to be smoother and more rounded. The enlarged propeller spinner, adapted from that of the new Messerschmitt Me 210” “A new three-blade, light-alloy VDM propeller unit with a reduced diameter of 3 m (9 ft 8.5 in) was used. Propeller pitch was changed electrically, and was regulated by a constant-speed unit, though a manual override was still provided. “

Now looking at my sprues for Eduard props. I have a number of them to choose from. 
xM9XcWM.jpg
the red should be for the Emil’s. The Green should be early F’s. And the blue should be late F’s and early G’s. It goes from skinny needle (red), Wider needle (green), and skinny paddle (blue). So you should have the one you need in an eduard F kit. I hope that helps you ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

@Corsairfoxfouruncle do you think the Eduard prop will fit the Airfix kit? I 'maware I should modify it a bit but, is it even worth it?

I looked at the instructions on Scalemates for the kit. In theory the Eduard prop should almost be a drop fit for the Airfix prop. If you can open the spinner up. If not your only options are to cut and sand the individual blades. Then glue them into the Airfix spinner openings. I did find this as well.

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/qbt48473.htm

Not that I'm saying to buy it but it is an option ? 

Dennis

• Thanks 1