1/72 Eduard Hellcat #3

Crane

With my second Academy Hellcat nearing completion, I justified starting another Hellcat by reasoning that I needed to airbrush the same color on both models. So I tore into my first-ever build from Eduard.

spacer.png

My first impressions are not good. Starting with the plastic itself, it acted differently with my blades and sanders. Something that will take getting used to. Also, I feel the need to use smaller snipers, even though I used the pair I have for both 1/72 Academy models. The picture below is a little deceiving, but there are many parts that will be damaged if I use my snipers. I am using a small pair of tiny scissors now to cut the smaller parts from the sprues. 

spacer.png

Take note at some of the extra plastic on part #14, it looks like it should be there! There were a few other parts that I needed to take a better look at just to make sure I was not cutting pieces apart.

Below is a picture of the starboard fuselage. Look at the dorsal lights. While the Academy used separate clear parts, the Eduard presents more of a challenge. There will be a seam and just a little sanding will flatten them. I guess I will cut them off and use clear glue for the lights. Also, look at the very top left point of the vertical stabilizer - that tiny point which is pointing northwest. I don't believe it is flash, it wraps around the vertical antenna on the port side fuselage very nicely.

spacer.png

I have already put the cowling together (you can see part of it above). There are no guide pins! I needed a third hand to hold things in place for gluing. 

So far, there have been a few inconveniences, but I am looking forward to this build. The details are really winning me over. And I hope they do, I have already invested in a few Eduard kits. I have 2 other 1/72 Eduard Hellcat kits and a 1/48 scale kit. Now that I can compare all the 1/72 kits to each other, I realized the other kits (F6F3 and F6F5) contain night fighter parts.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm worked a weekend and more than a few 12 hours days, so progress has been slow. But in the mean time, I ordered some new tools to help with this build.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This weekend I finally had a fair amount of time to do some work.

The kit includes 2 types of instrument panels. One with circular depressions for painting, and one with a flat surface for decals. I painted both, but decided to go with the one with decals. They are a little big, so I cut them down. I wish I knew that before putting them in water! If you are going to build this kit - the seat belt decals go from the seat to the rear wall, so I glued those parts in place before adding the decal. Also, the directions for the decals are not great. Review them first. I tried to create a glass sight with the clear parts glue. 

spacer.png

To avoid filling and sanding, and because I have seen F5Ns with rocket mounts, I took some time to devise a plan to add the mounts. I cut the mounts from the rockets and installed them from inside the wing.

spacer.png

I thought this Eduard kit would go a lot smoother than the Academy kits, but is a challenge. More details require more attention, and no kit is trouble free.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Small update that may help others. Do not apply too much pressure on the area in yellow. The 'hinges' (circled in red) will break.

spacer.png

The build process is almost complete, so I have been practicing with the new bottle of MRP Sea Blue. And it is a good thing I am doing so. The top left tail piece has 2 light coats over white. The right side has one heavy coat over bare grey plastic. The inside of the fuselage has one heavy coat over white. The tonal variation is immense - more so than with any other paint I have used. I am considering a lighter blue paint as a first coat. That will be my next test.

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

With the Spitfire MK IX almost done, I had some time to spend on this project. Main top coat and USS Hancock marking added. It will be another 'wif'. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Test fit ALL parts. I took the landing gear for granted and had an issue with the detail inside the red box. I'm still not sure what caused the issue, but the landing did not sit flush inside the bay. It is an easy work around, but this should have been done before paint and glue.

spacer.png

Final coat of clear. Yay! Sharp lines on the canopy compliments of Eduard masks.

The plastic (especially on the upper wing surfaces) has a nice texture to it - not sure if Eduard did that on purpose.

There is still a lot of work to do - lights, yellow tips on the prop., some weathering. I am on the fence about adding the aerial wire (the masts seem a lot thinner than the Academy kit)

and repainting the cannons.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1