Etrich Taube, Pegasus, 1:72

Brandy

3 hours ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

Thanks for posting the photos Ian, nice to put faces to names!
But I can’t believe Johnnie is the only one who has bought anything??

Dave

He was just the only one holding what he'd bought!

Ian

• Haha 3

Tis true. I should have got a bag! 🤣

Fantastic to meet you yesterday Ian. My only regret is I didn’t see your little ambulance. (I did manage to see the battle)  This thread has been a great read this morning and I’ll follow along with interest. I have found it’s really easy to get lost in the detail Rabbit hole when making parts digitally that get printed out at such a small scale. It’s always good to keep a notion of size when making these little bits and what you don’t need to worry about.

Take care dear boy.

Johnny

• Like 2

And then I had to go and read this thread too.

WOW

I love how you describe grabbing Fusion by its scrawny recalcitrant neck and making it allow you to change the basic shapes you begin with.

I wish I could do that but every time I make a shape it becomes fixed in space and won't allow me anything more than occasional chamfers.

These two photographs are heading into my personal archive and memory box.

I'm really happy to have dined with four of you on Saturday, there was room for more but maybe you had better fare where you were.

Ours was adequate but one of us had a gippy tum next day didn't you?

Ian I still only managed to see the Battle amongst the battle lines drawn up in a slightly inadequate comp area but well done on your Gold for the FE8.

Off to chamfer a notional box and add cylinders to sculpt in Fusion for a morning of time wasted.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, perdu said:

wish I could do that but every time I make a shape it becomes fixed in space and won't allow me anything more than occasional chamfers.

The trick is to change the shape before extruding. Draw your basic rectangle or whatever you need, then draw lines, circles, etc to bisect it and change the shape. You can snip off the unwanted lines. Then extrude it!

Much easier.

Ian

• Like 1

It was great to meet all of you as well (even if BM only decided to notify me you'd tagged me this morning!). Had a good read through the thread and will be following the rest of it, Ian, I'm highly impressed at your improvements to this rather lacklustre kit

James

• Like 3

1 hour ago, perdu said:

So you cant change extruded items

You can, by extruding another shape as a cut. But starting off with the way I described to get the basic shape correct is far easier.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, 81-er said:

(even if BM only decided to notify me you'd tagged me this morning!). Had a good read through the thread and will be following

To be fair, I only added the tags last night! I wanted to get the names in first before my memory failed me!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is wondering about the lack of updates here, I had hand surgery 2 weeks ago for Dupuytren's disease. All going well so far and I start physio this week.

It's quite an eye opener to try to do things with only one hand, especially when the hand available is not your natural one!

2022-12-04_08-00-57

I deliberately didn't post a pic 2 weeks ago!

Ian

• Confused 1
  • Sad 9

Crikey Brandy it must have looked shocking a couple of weeks ago, it looks painful but at least you can open your hand fully now. Hope the physio goes well and you have a fully functional hand. I'm stunned that you have been able to make such beautiful models with your hand problems!

Richie

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brandy said:

+++ I had hand surgery 2 weeks ago for Dupuytren's disease. +++

I had to google "Dupuytren's disease", giving https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren's_contracture

and some questions remain since I read "The cause is unknown but might have a genetic component.[4] Risk factors include family history, alcoholism, smoking, +++"

Get well soon!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jochen Barett said:

Risk factors include family history, alcoholism, smoking, +++"

Yes, it's hereditary, although it doesn't necessarily show up in everyone.

Ian

• Like 1

That looks painful. Hopefully all goes well with the treatment.

I’d hope to get to Telford myself in the next year or so.

Does this mean we’ll see the Taube dusted off. Mine’s actually managed to get (admittedly not a lot of ) bench time as part of my 2022 KUTA collection :)

89A29145-4BB7-4FD0-B491-50865CEC4C0C.jpg

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Does this mean we’ll see the Taube dusted off.

Absolutely. This is my current project, although I have to admit that mojo is a little short right now.

Ian

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Eeek. Hope yer mit gets better soon. 

Johnny

First physio today and all going well. The surgeon is very impressed at how well it's healing up.

Ian

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Brandy said:

First physio today and all going well. The surgeon is very impressed at how well it's healing up.

Ian

That is very good to hear, looking forward to seeing an update when you are fully healed.

Richie

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

I have managed to recover some of the lost mojo and have been printing out cylinders for the engine. They've turned out very nicely, but I can't seem to get the tiny gap between them to stay clear of resin.

I tried printing them individually but they're too fiddly like that. I have been using 0.03mm lift height and 6 second exposure, so I tried 5 seconds. That got the gap, but other details failed so I went back to what I had.

This is what I will go with.

52626526243_392b04b068_c.jpg

I had to print at 105% to make them fit so I guess the drawing I have is slightly off. No matter, I'll do everything else to match the drawing and print at 105% for them too. The extras now are the crankcase, and the inlet pipes. I thought about butchering a resin Argus engine for the crankcase, but I'll see what I can do with Fusion. Should be an interesting experiment doing that and "pipes" for the induction.....

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 11