Etrich Taube, Pegasus, 1:72

Brandy

This build seems to have slipped below my radar somehow. A very interesting craft you're building Ian, love what you're doing with the wings. Also of note is that you're cutting slots in your wings for the the supports, just what I've got to do on my metal F6C. I know we'll see later but how are you going to apply the ribbing detail as this is something else that I've got to do.

Stuart

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I know we'll see later but how are you going to apply the ribbing detail as this is something else that I've got to do.

There will be no raised detail as it just isn't visible even in full scale, let alone 1:72. The fabric is taut and does not sag between the ribs.

I will rely on paint.

Basically, the upper surfaces will be slightly lighter over the ribs due to the extra layer of fabric, and the under surfaces darker.  With a clear doped finish, the ribs etc are visible on the undersides if there is lighting from above, so there is no need to add it if you don't want to, just state that the model represents an aircraft in a hangar in winter! If the upper surfaces are PC10 or PC12 then the ribs on the underside will not show as shadows as the light passing through is reduced. Then the ribs and spars can be shown as a slightly lighter shade as for the upper surfaces.

I will add it as it helps to break up an otherwise bland surface.

Ian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I completely missed this one when it started (3 years ago, nearly as bad as me), but have had a catch up and I'm now firmly in!

Congrats on the examiner qualifs too!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Brandy said:

I think it would be best to add the tail and wing spar extensions that carry the rigging before I paint them as I will have to cut a slot in the surfaces to insert the rods and it could be difficult to match the paintwork after that is done. The next job is therefore going to be cutting slots in the wings and tail, attaching plastic rod, and blending it all in before any painting is considered.

I built this kit when it first came out, and the one thing I regretted was using plastic rod for the rigging spars - If I was ever to build another, I'd use brass rod, the plastic was far too flexible.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

I built this kit when it first came out, and the one thing I regretted was using plastic rod for the rigging spars - If I was ever to build another, I'd use brass rod, the plastic was far too flexible.

Thanks for the heads up. I had been wondering if plastic would work!

Ian

• Like 1

Taking @Dave Swindell's advice and modifying it a little, progress has been made. Plastic strip would obviously be too flexible, but at the other extreme I think brass would be too strong making it hard to shape properly. I would also need to drill for rigging lines very close to where the spar extensions would be inserted into the wing. With that in mind I opted for aluminium rod. I squashed it flat (using pliers with smooth jaws) in two dimensions: vertically to slot into the wing, and horizontally for the spar extensions themselves which were slightly flattened to be more aerodynamic. Quite why, with all the rest of the bits that stuck out into the airflow I'm not sure, but they were, so that is what I've done!

After flattening them out they were filed to shape and CAd into the wings. The other advantage of aluminium is that although they don't bend easily, they can be adjusted to get them straight in all dimensions.

The end result of this afternoon's eye straining is this (progressively, from raw attachment, to finished and shaped):

52439140852_78fae6d824_c.jpg

52439642546_ed3229b2dd_c.jpg

52439130867_3ab3b94dae_c.jpg

Wings done, horizontal tail surfaces next. I'll leave the vertical ones until it's all together.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 15

Today was a day off, two more to come...

I was not really happy with the plastic card tail and the lack of detail on it so I decided to throw something together in Fusion just to see what I could come up with. After all, it couldn't be any worse!

After a couple of hours playing around with it I got something I was happy with as a test so I printed it.

A few hours later, I found this waiting for me...

52444361888_6ea51b8d19_c.jpg

52444123514_4362c27a62_c.jpg

The warping surfaces at the rear are only .2mm thick, the forward part is 0.6mm with the ribs at 0.7mm to give a very slight raised surface on the front part, but noticeable raised ribs to the rear.

I will have a closer look in the morning, but I think this is a keeper!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 16

I made some adjustments to it today, namely: thinned the front half from .6 to .5mm and reduced the spars/ribs accordingly, slightly widened the gap at the front (along with sanding the rear fuselage) to help it fit properly and reducing/chamfering the rear tail warping "ribs" - in reality thin bamboo rods.

I also noticed I needed more support as it developed some rather interesting "waves" as it dried. Not a plus for this build, but useful to know for anyone wanting to model a sail or canvas top or similar!

It's now back in the printer for the next 5 hours.

Ian

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Brandy said:

I also noticed I needed more support as it developed some rather interesting "waves" as it dried. Not a plus for this build, but useful to know for anyone wanting to model a sail or canvas top or similar!

I've encountered similar phenomena where thin and much thicker parts exist in direct proximity Ian, with the dimensional difference between them leading to, as you say, some 'interesting' variations. This used to freak me out until realizing how amenable printed resin is to the 'hot water and bend it back into shape' treatment. (Depends on the mixture of shapes and extremity of effect of course as to how easy such  rectification can be).

That is some lovely work in that last post btw  Ian - right on the limits of reproducibility and a fine example of what can be achieved with a printer at such small scales.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'hot water and bend it back into shape'

Good to know, just in case!

After starting up the printer I spent the rest of the afternoon revisiting the engine. I lost all the crankcase details as I'd done that in sculpt mode so when I went back to my usual mode, the work done disappeared. Not even reloading the file brought it back.

Oh well.

Cylinders have been corrected for height. I basically deleted the centre section, lowered the head by removing some of the excess below the inlet/exhaust ports, and added a new centre section. Adjustments too to the inlet/exhaust area to help with the chamfering. Work is still needed adding the detail and I have still to find a way to blend in the different surfaces without getting error messages. I think I should have designed it differently in the first place as the chamfer won't work as I want it to.

Ian

• Like 3

Good evening everyone!

Here's what I have now after a few tweaks and a reprint.

52446200279_084ed4d378_c.jpg

52445932176_d6b40b8b3c_c.jpg

52446369500_e8958c91b5_c.jpg

52446202129_f43f2c1330_c.jpg

I have to say, I'm very pleased with that!

I left it on the print plate to dry after washing, then cured it straight away and so far there is no sign of any warping.

I'll take another look tomorrow morning but I think this is as good as I can get it.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 16

15 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Well if that doesn’t sell 3D printing to the man in the street, I don’t know what will! Amazing.

and congratulations on your examinerdom!

Regards,

Adrian

I very much doubt it would sell it to our Bill @perdu, although we've tried hard!

Another few hours tinkering with lines this morning and I then printed the cylinders.

52447992545_d060fdc3fb_c.jpg

It's only 13mm long so I'm happy with that. I spent far too long worrying about tidying up details that are not even visible with the magnifier!

Now I need to add the crankcase. I'll probably only do the upper part as it is needed to mount the inlet manifolds and push rods, but the underneath will be hidden so I can live without it!

Thanks for looking in,

Ian

• Like 12

On 10/24/2022 at 9:32 AM, Silenoz said:

Excellent work and looking marvelous.

Thanks Silenoz, glad you're enjoying it!

I'm starting to wind down here as I'm heading home on Thursday for my Dad's 90th, followed the week after by Telford! Models are packed and ready to go, so instead of starting major work I'm tidying up on some of the small stuff. 

To that end I have reprinted the cylinders as separate items in an effort to get a little more detail and gaps between them. That seems to have worked, so just to get a better idea of how they look I squirted some paint at them today.

52462160081_acb47a0339_c.jpg

I think that will work nicely! I may yet print them again with a small peg on the bottom to help mounting alignment. We'll see.

I have also started to prepare for a future project - an Avro Rota!

I have the RS Models kit and the Amstrong-Siddeley Genet Major engine is not bad but it's extremely visible and I wanted to see if I could find better.

I could! A website by the name of Hip Pocket Aeronautics has downloadable 3d print files for it so I downloaded the files. They are full size so had to be scaled but they have printed up nicely! It is split into crankcase, front cover, cylinder, distributor, breather, inlet pipes, rocker covers, and pushrod covers. A lot of parts to print!

Here is the crankcase with the front cover, breather, and distributor fitted

52461643097_a9d2a3bce1_c.jpg

and with paint

52462694493_ce858b0e2c_c.jpg

cylinder

52462159041_0314065f4b_c.jpg

That should look far better!

Those bits will now go in a little box and live with the kit until I get around to it!

Thanks for looking in,

Ian

• Like 18

Marvellous stuff Ian!

Glad to hear your models are packed for Telford. Where will we find them once there? @Martian and I intend to be on the Poole Scale Modellers and the Target Facilities SIG tables (I'm hoping they are adjacent)

Enjoy your Dad's 90th.

Terry

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Where will we find them once there?

Hi Terry,

The Battle, FE8, and Merc SSKL will all be on the competition tables.

I don't expect anything for any of them but I feel the comp tables give people a better opportunity to get up close and see them properly. Plus it gives more meaning to the competition winners if there is more than one entry in  a category!

The Model T Ford ambulance will be on the Great War SIG table.

I'll be spreading myself around this year!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Brandy said:

I'll be spreading myself around this year!

That's just what @general melchett's beloved Georgina said just before she stepped on that landmine that Captain Darling had left lying around, hoping to catch Captain Slackbladder with it. 

Martian 👽

• Haha 8

Great stuff Ian, completely missed this back in the day. Lovely work on the 3D printed parts.

so I decided to throw something together in Fusion

Casually throws that in.....while I've done a lot of 3D printing over the past four years for various people I've been quite remiss in attempting to get to grips with the CAD design side of things. Hopefully that'll change in the future, if my addled brain can handle it. 

That's just what general melchett's beloved Georgina said just before she stepped on that landmine that Captain Darling had left lying around, hoping to catch Captain Slackbladder with it. 

True Martian, whilst undeniably tragic, she did leave this tortured realm with an enormous grin on her face, (possibly the effects of Baldrick's 'power-aide' relaxant prune and cabbage syrup or maybe even the news of her selection as prop-forward in the upcoming ladies XI murderball final but I'd rather think it was the thought of attending the regimental ball with an old general sporting a purple shredded sporran, dicky heart and a wooden bladder). 

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

No progress on the Taube since I'm at Telford. For @corsaircorpand others who could not make it.

Those of a weak disposition should maybe look away....

2022-11-12_03-13-01

From left to right:,

James @81-er, Bill @perdu, Steve @Fritag, Crisp @Ex-FAAWAFU, Ced @CedB, me, Martin @Martian and Mrs Martian, Adrian @AdrianMF, Terry @Terry1954, and Heather @Heather Kay.

2022-11-12_04-12-48

Johnnie, @The Spadgent, Neil @woody37, Tom @tomprobert, Steve (again, not off cycling yet!), and Andy @general melchett

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1