Etrich Taube, Pegasus, 1:72

Brandy

I decided I wasn't happy with that, so I've modified the head. It's still not quite right as I can't figure out how to get an even chamfer all the way around from head to cylinder, but at this scale I think it will do.

51131937029_7c2f79ff76.jpg

Ian

Edited by Brandy
updated pic
  • Like 8

I expect Alan or Tony will be along before too long to tell you whether the springs will print, Ian. :D

So there’s you producing 3d prints now and Crisp won’t be far behind you :worthy:  

I can quite see how 3d printing will be hugely useful with your preferred subjects.

• Like 3

hi Ian. TBH I doubt if the springs will print but one way to give the illusion of springs is to use a solid cylinder and cut a series of rings around it - sort of like a stack of donuts, but without the holes.  That's what I did on the Jupiter.  The "springs" can be seen at the top end here in this shot

Screenshot-2021-03-05-135752.png

• Like 4

Nice to see you back on this one and just in the knicker of time to stop you turning into @Fritag. Had that happened, we should have had to call the vet!

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

When I said I was happy with that last version, it was of course only temporary! Lying in bed last night I suddenly realised that I hadn't added any supports for the rocker arms. That led to closer examination of photos this morning.  Another thing that had not occurred to me yesterday was that I had added the upper cylinder coolant channel across the whole width, whereas of course it is only an inlet one side and an outlet on the other. The valves sit in between and I couldn't put those in the right place unless I redesigned that too. So I decided to chop its head off!

I redesigned the top end and did the chamfer before cutting away bits. That worked much better. The angle on the face where inlet and exhaust fit is better too.

Here's how it looks now.

51133850639_71906eac09.jpg

Much better!

And on top of that it has really helped me find my way around Fusion a lot better. This redesign took far less time than the original did. Now I have to try to figure out how to do the crankcase. All I've used so far is drawing circles and rectangles, extruding them then amending the 3d shapes I'm left with. The crankcase will involve plotting my own points in 3 dimensions.

I may be some time.....

Ian

• Like 6

Right then, having spent numerous hours playing around in sculpt mode in Fusion I think I now have a grasp of the basics. To start with it was extremely frustrating as it seemed that even though I was doing it (I thought) exactly as in the videos, I kept getting error messages.  I kept watching the videos and reading Fusions own training notes and every once in a while there was a "eureka" moment! After a few of those it became easier and I can now find my way around fairly quickly. Having said that it still comes back to bite me sometimes as I can't find a way to do something simple because of the way I constructed things earlier! There is usually an alternative to get the same result though (or delete it and redo that part correctly!) so I'm making reasonable progress. All in all it's becoming fun now instead of frustrating so I must be moving in the right direction!

Here's the result of the last few days' "playing around". It took me a while to work out how I wanted to do it and I decided to start with the known quantities - I only have a side view sketch. So I overlaid the cylinders I'd already done (and then had to resize them!) and made up the cylinder mating face. That was copied for the crankcase joint, and expanded as necessary. Adding a cone at the front helped with the sizes since I could match that exactly to the profile view.

Today I have been refining the shape of the crankcase join, adding the notches for the mounts and resizing it a few times as I noticed a couple of errors. I have to keep reminding myself not to get too obsessive with measurements, I'm only talking about 0.1mm or less for some of the adjustments, but I want it to "look right" once done so I think it's worth the effort.

Anyway, a couple of pics from this morning and this evening.

51144116206_57d6d152fd.jpg

51144330883_dfc99d26f2.jpg

The nose cone was also done today but I didn't take a pic before I added it.

Thanks for looking in, and since it's my birthday today I'm going for a beer or two. (Not that I wouldn't anyway, but it's an even better excuse than usual!)

Ian

• Like 10

It looks to me that you are really getting the hang of that CAD malarkey Ian.  

I wouldn't worry too much about the frustrating part - even after 20 plus years of caddery I still hit roadblocks occasionally.  It can still be incredibly rewarding also, as I think you are finding out.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hendie said:

It looks to me that you are really getting the hang of that CAD malarkey Ian.  

I wouldn't worry too much about the frustrating part - even after 20 plus years of caddery I still hit roadblocks occasionally.  It can still be incredibly rewarding also, as I think you are finding out.

Thanks Alan. My plan is to do the basics of the crankcase in sculpt and then add the "greeblies" in normal mode, just building basic blocks and extruding. I don't even know if that is possible yet!

Ian

• 1 year later...
On 22/04/2021 at 12:24, Fritag said:

I expect Alan or Tony will be along before too long to tell you whether the springs will print, Ian. 

14 months later:

'Ian - I just saw Steve's comment and wondered if you got those springs to print?' 🤦‍♂️

#mywatchisabitslow

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/13/2022 at 10:41 PM, Planebuilder62 said:

Hi Brandy How is this going?

regards Toby

Hi Toby, thanks for resurrecting this one, see below....

21 hours ago, TheBaron said:

14 months later:

'Ian - I just saw Steve's comment and wondered if you got those springs to print?' 🤦‍♂️

#mywatchisabitslow

I just knew you would have to chime in! :whistle:

Blimey, has it really been that long??

Simple answer is that this has gone no further....yet. I still have the Fairey Battle to finish, (get it done...I know...) then hopefully the Bristol Scout as that is furthest along. However this one may jump the queue and will definitely be finished - I don't totally abandon any of my plastic "babies" during their growth period, only ignore them for a few years!

My Fusion skills have been developing so I may even redraw what I've done so far. 

Thanks once again Toby for the kick in the rear that I needed!

Ian

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Right then, where were we?

Having got both the Heinkel and Fairey Battle finished and in the cabinet, and the little Ford Model T Ambulance likewise, it is now time to resurrect the Taube.

I pulled it out of the box today and gave it a good hard looking at. I think I need to get the fuselage profile sorted first so work will begin on that tomorrow.

Welcome back!

Ian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I gave the fuselage another good hard looking at and didn't get far. My problem is that plans for the Etrich version are scarce and those I have don't seem to match. The fuselage is quite a bit deeper than the plans, but overall it looks right when comparing to photos. I have adjusted the slope between the two cockpits a little and will leave it at that for now. My focus then changed to the wings. A lot more sanding was carried out to get the edges to suitable thickness and adjust the airfoil section to my liking, then it was working out where all the holes should go.

Tools for the day.

52351577447_d18aa027e4_c.jpg

I've drawn on the 2 spars, and drilled holes for the support beam underneath, along with the holes for rigging that beam, both fore and aft. That needed 3 holes right on the leading edge and 3 on the rear spar. All those wires will go through the wing as they are on both upper and lower surfaces so can be done as one line for each. Those holes therefore go through the wing. The ones for the braces will be blind holes. I will leave the holes for the wing warping until after I've finished marking out the ribs and scalloping the trailing edge. Ribs for the warping section will be added, probably with thin plastic rod. In reality they were bamboo inserts stuck into the rear of the ribs. The fabric was single layer on those sections but there was no lip as seen on a Caudron for instance, so once the ribs are on, the step between the main wing and the warping section will be faired in.

Thanks for looking in, sorry there's only one pic! (Only one wing done so far too, I need to rest my eyes!)

Ian

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Thanks for looking in, sorry there's only one pic! (Only one wing done so far too, I need to rest my eyes!)

Try detailing a 1/720 Zeppelin gondola, about 3/4inch long, then you will need to rest your eyes, lay down in dark room, swallow a bottle of tranquilisers along with a Pan-Galactic Gargleblaster or three and go wibble.

Sympathetic of Mars 👽

• Haha 6

Thanks for the feedback folks, even if in a couple of cases, it wasn't actually much encouragement!

The last two days have been spent patiently poring over photos and drawings, trying to work out what goes where. I did manage to come up with a basic plan of the rigging from the king post and lower brace (not sure what its specific name is). This is what I've come up with:

52357844424_196e908269_c.jpg

That will help me plan the rigging a bit better as a lot of wires can be used both above and below the wings as one piece running through.  I always try to minimize the number of separate pieces of rigging and will use one hole for multiple pieces when able.

The other tasks have been correcting the cockpits and working on the wings. The cockpits, as you may recall were not accurate for the aircraft I am modelling.

This is what we get in the kit - I have already made a start of raising the front edge of the rear cockpit here.

52356617742_1f2d223ae9_c.jpg

The front cockpit is too shallow and the rear needed to be more curved, and higher at the front. I started on the rear by cutting and bending the plastic to raise it slightly, then used Mr Dissolved Putty, dabbed on with a toothpick, to build up the rear edge.

52357951105_19f86d5aae_c.jpg

After it had dried properly it was carefully filed down with a half round jewelers file. It needed two or three applications to get the right shape but eventually it got there. This stuff is really usufel for this type of work. I will also use it to re-establish the cockpit edge padding which was too heavy anyway but had to be removed.

52357844799_aa670edf15_c.jpg

This shows the final shape of the rear

52357529196_30f7f025eb_c.jpg

and this one is after I had deepened the front cockpit. I also reduced the padding here too.

52356579122_3ee036e2ac_c.jpg

Some thought then had to be given to wing mounting. I decided to cut two slots into the inner edge of the wing and insert small lengths of .75 x 1mm rod to represent the spars. The slots would give extra strength to the joint as I don't think 2 butt joints (one to the wing and one to the fuselage) would work.

52357951500_c7de39d615_c.jpg

For the fuselage end, I carefully marked out where the spars were attached, (they were bolted on, and did not run through - at least the rear one was, as it is right in the middle of the pilot's cockpit). The King Post and mounting point for the "bridge" under the wings were both lined up with the front spar, so those were also marked out. Holes were drilled to mount the king post, and immediately below those I drilled for the spar holes. I started with .3mm, then .5mm and finally .75mm, carefully making sure between each enlargement that the holes were still lined up. Those holes were carefully enlarged with a no.11 blade to a rectangle of .75 x 1mm so the spars could pass through. Once the front ones were done, a spot of black marker on the end of the rear spar left a handy mark to show where I needed to drill the second hole.

Pegasus kindly added a moulded in shape on the fuselage where the wing was intended to be mounted - not useful for its intended purpose as the wing doesn't but against it, but useful for getting the angle of the wing and helping align the rear spar holes! You can see the marked out holes on the pic above.

This is the front marked up - you can see the filled dimple where the kit King Post was to be mounted - too far back!

52356578757_8d8bd84f8a_c.jpg

52357529456_f6112f940e_c.jpg

I think that works! I will trim the spars to length later, I will be able to hide the joint in the rear cockpit as there will be a brace added from the cockpit side where the spar mounts down to the seat mounting.

Not too much to show physically for two days work although it was interspersed with visits to get PCR tests done. Yesterday's was negative, if today's is too, I can return to work on tomorrow, although I'm booked off. That will be very helpful as I'm due to fly to the US next Tuesday for training and haven't had a chance to get anything prepared yet!

As I say, not much physical advancement, but a huge step forward in the basic prep and planning and the most critical part - the wing mounting - is done.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 9

Has a whole week really gone since my last post?

Anyway, now in Dubai - I just had some of the best bangers and mash I've ever had, complete with onion gravy and bacon bits - and an early start tomorrow for my flight to the US.

It will be a LONG day. Hotel pickup at 0600, flight arriving in NY at 14:30 local time (2230 by my body clock) then a 2 1/2 hr wait for a 1 1/2 hr flight to Boston, then a 1 1/2 hour drive to Cape Cod!

I may be a little tired...

Have fun folks, see you in a week!

Ian

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Well, a little more than a week, sorry about that! My trip to the US went well, although it was hectic. I caught up with some friends on Cape Cod, visited my house, and picked up some jackets and boots that for some reason had not been sent out with the rest of my belongings.

I am now officially an FAA examiner for the King Air 350.

There has been (slow) progress but not much to photograph and post.

I had a day off today and got back to this. I have to admit the mojo has been a little low of late, but today was spent testing my eyesight.

The wings and tail needed to be marked out for the ribs, and the trailing edges scalloped. That was today's job.

Left one done, right one shown as a comparison.

52429831494_c49dda87f4_c.jpg

Both wings are now done and just need to be marked up for the ribs.

The tail was fairly straightforward. First the scalloping...

52429549601_f9f453e011_c.jpg

then the marking of the ribs etc

52429842529_1d36c10191_c.jpg

I now need to mark up the wing ribs and spars. I think it would be best to add the tail and wing spar extensions that carry the rigging before I paint them as I will have to cut a slot in the surfaces to insert the rods and it could be difficult to match the paintwork after that is done. The next job is therefore going to be cutting slots in the wings and tail, attaching plastic rod, and blending it all in before any painting is considered.

I also need to start thinking about the fuselage framework.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 10