A journey to the Southern lands

Jabba

Next year SWMBO and I are hopefully off to the land of Oz to see her cousin near Brisbane. However before this we will have a few days to ourselves after a stop over in Singapore and are looking at one of a few places to visit. These places are Perth. Adelaide, Auckland and Christchurch. As we are not sure which of these to go to I am hoping that some of you good folk who live in these areas could help us choose. Please do not state the city in which you live just because you live there, as this is more than likely the only time that we will get to visit the place. I am not looking for model shops and aircraft museums (although that might help), just and interesting place to see and  visit. Thanks in advance for your help.

G'day Jabba,

Can't speak to the Kiwi cities as I have never been but as for Perth and Adelaide, there are plenty of attractions.  All the cities have a high popularity with Brits and feature large expat Brit populations.

Perth has the Margaret River wine region to the north so you will need a car and while not as old as the Barossa (north of Adelaide) it is still highly regarded. There is also a great chocolate factory if you are not a fan of grape juice. The city of Perth is well laid , and if you are (were?) a fan of a little band called AC/DC, the grave of Bonn Scott tends to attract one or two people. Fremantle is also hugely popular, especially a certain pub at sunset that faces due west or the "bees Knees" microbrewery. One of the most popular day visits from Perth would be a visit to Rottnest island where you can take a selfie with a quokka, you can't help but like these little guys!

Adelaide, again the Barossa wine region to the north is world renowned and should need no introduction, but there is also the area to the south around the Fleurieu penninsula which  is also not too bad.

If wine is not your thing, then perhaps the foodie in you would like the Central Markets in Gouger St, just a few minutes walk from the centre of Adelaide. If it is a nice day, take a tram out to Glenelg on the coast and sink a frothy ale or two at the Ramsgate Hotel. Adelaide is a very multicultural city so just about any cuisine you desire should be readily available and there is always a festival going on, if you time it right you can choose from the Comedy, Fringe, Cabaret, Greek, Italian, Indian, Octoberfest, Schutzenfest, Tennis (Oz Open), Le Tour downunder, Clipsal 500 or WOMAD music festivals to name a few. There are actually two aircraft museums, one at Port Adelaide and one near Parafield (Classic Jets) which actually runs its jet engines once a month with the public welcome.

So my pick would be Adelaide (I don't live there), and you can get direct flights from ADL to BNE which takes about 3 hours, less if the jet can catch the jet stream,

cheers,

Pappy

Thanks for that information.

Our choices may now be cut down to two places as airlines from these go into an airport that is closer to SWMBO cousins house. These are Adelaide and Auckland, but the others are still open if we think that they are worth visiting.

Perth's always worth a visit, but it's well out of your way if you're going to Brisvegas. It depends as much as anything else on how much (a) time and (b) money you have available. Ideally, especially if this will be your one and only visit down here, you could try for both Adelaide AND Auckland, but that may not be possible (although you could do Singapore - Adelaide - Auckland - UK if you're minded). If push came to shove I'd go to Adelaide, if only because the connection is just slightly easier (and you'd be flying over my place on the way - give me a wave as you go over ...).

Auckland has MOTAT, Christchurch has the Air Force Museum.  Also in the Sth Island is Peter Jacksons museum at Omaka near Blenheim (If you really want to see 6 flying DR1s 😁)

I went to NZ back in February and thoroughly enjoyed my month long tour. As well as the Ar Force Museum in Christchurch there is the city museum, the memorial to the victims of the earthquake and remains of the old cathedral. Auckland has MOTAT worth visiting, The Sky tower and if you are up to it for just under £200 you can take a dive down the outside of it  in a harness a bit like a bungee jump.  Lovely country to visit!

On 10/17/2019 at 4:47 AM, Jabba said:

I am not looking for model shops and aircraft museums

You what?

Haha, good one, you almost had me there.

I'm afraid that I can't help with your choices of places to visit. I'm sure that they all have things to recommend them, my advice would be to browse their relevant tourism websites.

If you were interested in Visiting both Adelaide and Auckland and it’s worth noting that Air New Zealand fly direct from Adelaide to Auckland most days.

In addition to the attractions Pappy mentioned, Adelaide airport also has the Vickers Vimy that made the first Britain to Australia flight, the zoo has I believe the only giant Pandas in the Southern Hemisphere and if you are into hiking, there are plenty of excellent tracks in the Adelaide hills within half an hour of the city.

HTH

AW

Yet again thanks for your advice, but we are only able to visit one of these places de to time factors. Having talked with SWMBO'ds cousin at the weekend, Perth and Christchurch are still possible as she may be able to pick us up from Brisbane, not just her local airport.

• 4 months later...

Hi @Jabba

have just found this.

hope I’m not too late. I have lived in 3 of the 4 cities mentioned (ADL, ChCh & PER)

All are great destinations but my recommendation would be Christchurch especially if you have a few days to spare and can hire a car.

The city itself is interesting as it is currently rebuilding and there’s plenty to see relating to that alone - the ‘cardboard cathedral’ and the memorial of chairs for example. The chch tourist tramway is Absolutely world class - a collection of vintage trams you can hop on and off at will using a day pass to travel around the main attractions. Canterbury museum and the botanical gardens are also first rate.

The RNZAF museum is also world class and free entry. But Pay the fee for the behind the scenes tour- it’s brilliant.

the gondola up to the top of the port hills is good - really good views from the top. While there you might want to consider a visit to ferrymead if you really like old technology and transport.

Drive to Akaroa Township (about 1.5 hour spectacular drive from ChCh) and stay the night- after About 4:00PM the tourist masses leave and the whole vibe of the place changes.

While in Akaroa you must visit the giants house if possible- it’s mind bending!!!

The chch Antarctic Center is ...OK but expensive. If you do go make sure you pay extra and do the haaglund ride.

with a rental car do a day trip to Arthur’s pass  up in the Southern Alps. It’s a terrific drive very scenic and quite good roads. Lunch at Arthur pass and do a 20 min walk / hike up to ‘the punch bowl’ its quite beautiful.  A five minute drive from Arthur’s pass gets you to the road viaduct - which is worth a look.

I think you are better off self driving than taking the Tranz-alpine express.

One hour south of chch is the Ashburton aviation museum- which is well worth the drive and has some good surprises in store for an aviation enthusiast.

You could also visit Kiakoura - it’s a good drive - but personally I don’t rate the whale watching. 25 years ago it was good because the small boats could get quite close but now there’s a 200m stand-off rule. Sperm whales don’t do much on the surface either. I have not done the dolphin tour but suspect it’s much better value.

Willowbank zoo is really good for a couple of hours too. Probably your only chance to see a kiwi. A Great place for kids to visit

• Like 1

On 08/03/2020 at 01:29, Bandsaw Steve said:

Hi @Jabba

have just found this.

hope I’m not too late. I have lived in 3 of the 4 cities mentioned (ADL, ChCh & PER)

All are great destinations but my recommendation would be Christchurch especially if you have a few days to spare and can hire a car.

The city itself is interesting as it is currently rebuilding and there’s plenty to see relating to that alone - the ‘cardboard cathedral’ and the memorial of chairs for example. The chch tourist tramway is Absolutely world class - a collection of vintage trams you can hop on and off at will using a day pass to travel around the main attractions. Canterbury museum and the botanical gardens are also first rate.

The RNZAF museum is also world class and free entry. But Pay the fee for the behind the scenes tour- it’s brilliant.

the gondola up to the top of the port hills is good - really good views from the top. While there you might want to consider a visit to ferrymead if you really like old technology and transport.

Drive to Akaroa Township (about 1.5 hour spectacular drive from ChCh) and stay the night- after About 4:00PM the tourist masses leave and the whole vibe of the place changes.

While in Akaroa you must visit the giants house if possible- it’s mind bending!!!

The chch Antarctic Center is ...OK but expensive. If you do go make sure you pay extra and do the haaglund ride.

with a rental car do a day trip to Arthur’s pass  up in the Southern Alps. It’s a terrific drive very scenic and quite good roads. Lunch at Arthur pass and do a 20 min walk / hike up to ‘the punch bowl’ its quite beautiful.  A five minute drive from Arthur’s pass gets you to the road viaduct - which is worth a look.

I think you are better off self driving than taking the Tranz-alpine express.

One hour south of chch is the Ashburton aviation museum- which is well worth the drive and has some good surprises in store for an aviation enthusiast.

You could also visit Kiakoura - it’s a good drive - but personally I don’t rate the whale watching. 25 years ago it was good because the small boats could get quite close but now there’s a 200m stand-off rule. Sperm whales don’t do much on the surface either. I have not done the dolphin tour but suspect it’s much better value.

Willowbank zoo is really good for a couple of hours too. Probably your only chance to see a kiwi. A Great place for kids to visit

Thanks for all the info, but unfortunately you are on the late side, as hopefully we will be going to Auckland.

• Thanks 1