MD11F FEDEX 1:144 EE

RCI

7 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Such a better technique than what I have done in the past. I really like the idea of using Mr. Surfacer; its thicker than what I have used and makes more sense. I have blended a small amount of paint from the surface with thin cement, then slowly and sparingly injected it into the gap. The liquid blends to both surfaces and closes the gap completely...takes two or more applications, but as it dries is quite effective. But....if I inject too much, a disaster ensues that really makes cleanup and correction very difficult...if I inject just enough, it goes quite well. I would think Mr. Surfacer, being thicker, wouldn’t run, and thereby would avert that disaster. Thanks for this lesson...brilliant!  

you are welcome. i think your technique works fine before painting. mine only works on grey wings, allthough i think mr surfacer is also available in white. 🙂

7 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

what a mission of a WIP - and a stunner in the making there - I've enjoyed every second of your 4 pages so far - good luck with the remainder of the final assembly stages

thank you so much for your kind words! 🙏 sadly airliners are not the favorite choice for modellers, thus i was more or less entertaining my self and a couple of you guys in this thread 😄 but i m fine with it as long as there are others enjoying it...i also learned a lot in this build.

so, "ALYSSA" as fedex calls her, stood on her own legs for the first time this morning. For this big step i had to prepare the gear big time. flatening tires, leveling all main gear for the same height, adjusting the links for "running" straight, and some other things.

i started with the L+R main gears and left out initially the center gear.

IMG_5075 IMG_2408 IMG_8102 IMG_4113 IMG_4744

Edited by RCI
  • Like 7

On 11/9/2019 at 12:00 AM, Challenger350Pilot said:

Sini...I realize this is a late question...what did you use for priming the model before you applied the white? I'm in process of changing over to the MRP paints, and so far am very satisfied, but need to learn some more about surface prep...and priming is paramount! 

Mr.Surfacer 1200 , sorry for my late answer 🙂  i think meanwhile they also offer this stuff in white

final steps!

- scratch built some beacon lights

- add antennas

- add pitots

- landing gear doors

- wheel well oil wash

- purple paint touch ups

- slat connection plates

-

IMG_0115 IMG_9019 IMG_0111 IMG_0108 IMG_0109

Edited by RCI
  • Like 6

She looks stunning...even as dirty as she is...she must be a "working" girl. 

I'm sure you know this, so please forgive the redundancy...but...on the MD-11, the center bogey rotates/rolls fore and aft in the extended position, depending on weight, which is why it is never chocked while parked. You must have known this evidenced by first attaching the main gear to the wings and leveling them properly. The center bogey would be attached after the mains and allowed to "fall" naturally, depending on how you depict the model, fully loaded or empty. Very nice job on the gear. Very nice work on the whole model. This is so inspiring, and I am always thankful to peruse through this thread. Looks like I'll be ordering one for myself. 😉 

2 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

She looks stunning...even as dirty as she is...she must be a "working" girl. 

I'm sure you know this, so please forgive the redundancy...but...on the MD-11, the center bogey rotates/rolls fore and aft in the extended position, depending on weight, which is why it is never chocked while parked. You must have known this evidenced by first attaching the main gear to the wings and leveling them properly. The center bogey would be attached after the mains and allowed to "fall" naturally, depending on how you depict the model, fully loaded or empty. Very nice job on the gear. Very nice work on the whole model. This is so inspiring, and I am always thankful to peruse through this thread. Looks like I'll be ordering one for myself. 😉 

thx man! i didnt know the center gear rotates along with the weight, i just thought it makes sense to first level the main tires and then see what the center wheels do. it worked out!

i will post some pics of the finished model soon, but that will be a new thread in the "ready for inspection" section 🙂

• Like 1