MD11F FEDEX 1:144 EE

RCI

18 minutes ago, stringbag said:

That's a neat solution to the lights.  Hope you don't mind if I file that away for future reference Sini.

Chris.

haha hey Chris, you are welcome to do so... i think thats one of the many purposes of this forum 😄

this is what it looks like once it is finished. Thats a DACO 737. if anone is interested i can also show the steps of the process.

IMG_9061

• Like 2

That's a great idea for the external lights. In the past I've just added a drop of silver paint then covered it with Tamiya smoke but this lacks the depth of the ones you've done. I''ll give it  go soon.

Thanks to your recommendation earlier, I've bought some MRP Boeing grey and white. Looking forward to trying these.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Like 2

On 11/2/2019 at 10:09 AM, pinky coffeeboat said:

That's a great idea for the external lights. In the past I've just added a drop of silver paint then covered it with Tamiya smoke but this lacks the depth of the ones you've done. I''ll give it  go soon.

Thanks to your recommendation earlier, I've bought some MRP Boeing grey and white. Looking forward to trying these.

Thanks,

Jeff

yes, i think the method works quite ok. just be careful that no bubbles are trapped and DON'T drill the whole too deep. if you drill it the lense must be almost level with the fuselage, if it is too deep the brilliance is lost and it does not look as good.

awesome Jeff, let me know if it works for you as well as it did for me! really love the paints, just a bit sad that they are lacking of more colors for airliners (candy colors, like purple and so on)

today i ll continue on the 11, had a really busy week... 😕

best regards

Sini

• Like 2

engines finished and weathered. had some issues with the tamiya weathering set, i wanted a very light weathering and had to remove it here and there. i think the result is ok. also for the intake... lots of masking work, but it was worth it.

i wanted to take Mr.Color Super silver GX (i think thats the name), but it was almost dry...shelf life a year?! strange.. so i took alclad semi matt aluminium and went over it with some tamiya black (20/80 ratio).

i think the fan went i bit too dark, but it is ok. usually it is dark in these intakes...maybe next time less post shading :)

IMG_9385

IMG_9388

IMG_9387

IMG_9386

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

These look great. Coming right along. What did you use to detail the intakes? Specifically, what is the reddish area under the fan  blades? Not being familiar with the EE kit, are the louvres on the top of the pylon molded into the plastic, did you use a detail decal, or carve them in? The details mean everything...and you’re knocking this out of the park!!! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

These look great. Coming right along. What did you use to detail the intakes? Specifically, what is the reddish area under the fan  blades? Not being familiar with the EE kit, are the louvres on the top of the pylon molded into the plastic, did you use a detail decal, or carve them in? The details mean everything...and you’re knocking this out of the park!!! 

haha a lot of masking tape 🙂  the brown area around the fan is the fan case, i think it is some composite. If you take a close look to the 11 engine, you'll see it. On the 747SP it is even more visible. Airbus made that one in dark grey on the A320 and it is made of rubber, in case a blade brakes or there is an imbalance in the fan after a birdstrike etc.

The vents / louvres in the pylon are decals. Authentic decals... i hate to use 3d decals, cause the part should be 3d, but not the decal, there was simply no way around for me. i think metallic details has an etchpart for it, but i dont like their set and that would have been so much work on top.

As i said, masking makes a decision here. The resonance panels inside are quite unique in their shape and geometry and weathering is essential!

thx for your kind words 🙂

best regards

Sini

• Like 3

stabs are almost finished, missing the leading edge, some clear coat and weathering 🙂

IMG_9383

body lights finished, not a 100% as i wanted them, cause 2 holes were drilled too deep, but still ok. i can live with that.

Cargo door is also ready for the decal. the 3d decals are nice, the hinge is quite visible on the decal. will put it on today and start painting the wings.

IMG_9366 IMG_9367

• Like 6

WHITE! again MRP 004 , quite ok, though it maybe makes more sense to go for white instead of grey primer. i used a whole bottle of 004 to cover the fuselage only, allthough its opacity is quite good and a hundred times better than tamiya gloss white.

2 coats, each day one coat and as usual new masks. basically every new layer gets new masks to avoid ugly edges.

IMG_9382 IMG_9380

• Like 3

Oh yes, Sini! 👏 I don’t know how but I skipped a lot of the interesting things here, sorry... 😐 I’m very impressed with your work, bravo!

This looks absolutely fantastic:

48957118202_144404d47b_k.jpg

Amazing work on the cockpit:

49020772108_72328d5b34_k.jpg

The progress is superb, keep up the good work! 👍

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Oh yes, Sini! 👏 I don’t know how but I skipped a lot of the interesting things here, sorry... 😐 I’m very impressed with your work, bravo!

This looks absolutely fantastic:

48957118202_144404d47b_k.jpg

Amazing work on the cockpit:

49020772108_72328d5b34_k.jpg

The progress is superb, keep up the good work! 👍

thx Nicolay! still a lot to do.... next project will be something easier :)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Not looked at this in a while, it's looking very good! Those engines are amazing.

thx adam! they took a lot of time. in generel this kit is very "intense"

10 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Definitely worth the effort then

55 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I heard it so many times! 😂

hm yes, at some point. i would love to build another 3 or 4 different liveries but considering the high amount of work, i think i wont do it in the near future.

• Like 1

so, this is basically the only way to get the purple right.

when i started painting i thought the tone is too bright and its too purple, so i mixed it darker...which was a mistake 😩

i have to repaint that...and even worse, i have to mask it again. anyway there are some touch ups and cleaning necessary

IMG_9389 IMG_9390 IMG_9391

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, RCI said:

i would love to build another 3 or 4 different liveries but considering the high amount of work, i think i wont do it in the near future.

Sure thing, just wait a little after you’re finishing this project - building the similar things can be boring and demotivating.

38 minutes ago, RCI said:

i have to repaint that...and even worse, i have to mask it again. anyway there are some touch ups and cleaning necessary

Don’t worry, Sini. 🤝 The mixture looks brilliant!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Don’t worry, Sini. 🤝 The mixture looks brilliant!

hmmm i dont think so, its more a LH blue instead of fedex purple. its just a light shade brighter than what i used...i will spray a light coat with brighter purple... but i guess i wont make in the next 10 days 😕

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RCI said:

hmmm i dont think so, its more a LH blue instead of fedex purple. its just a light shade brighter than what i used...

Look:

FedEx_MD-11F(N526FE)_(3382499520).jpg

Just leave it for a few days and you’re become to the right decision, I think! 😉

7 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Look:

FedEx_MD-11F(N526FE)_(3382499520).jpg

Just leave it for a few days and you’re become to the right decision, I think! 😉

haha indeed, but i think thats also due to the light on the photo. i will just give it a shade more purple.

• Like 1

Sini...I realize this is a late question...what did you use for priming the model before you applied the white? I'm in process of changing over to the MRP paints, and so far am very satisfied, but need to learn some more about surface prep...and priming is paramount! 

• Like 1

absolutely outstanding piece of modelling mate. the cockpit and engines are a knock out, a mini model in itself.

MRP - are these the only lacquer based paints on the market? for large sections like fuselage and wings i've used tamiya spray paints because of the quick drying times and the quality of the finish but I've been unaware of airbrush lacquer based

phil

• Like 2