Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Recommended Posts

Good evening 🙂

 

so finally i decided to post a progress report of my MD11. There's a lot to tell, but lets start first with some facts.

 

The Kit is an Eastern Express, ordered from 26decals. So i got the kit with some decals, i did not want to use on this one, instead i will go with Liveries unlimited FEDEX stuff.

Some big decisions had to be made in advance, like the RCI windshield. I am not advertising my own products, since i stopped producing them, but obviously the reason why i used it here is the reason why i created this stuff, i think it is better than the window decals and also the clear part, which comes with the kit.

 

I usually only build cabin windows, since this is really hard to do on this one, i've chosen a freighter from Fedex. Believe me, it was not easy to get the Tailnumber right 🧐

 

so lets start...

this is my own clear part i sold until a few months ago... i think up until now there is no clear part depicting the real thing as good as this, the MD11 geometry is quite special, and this is what i had in mind:

 

IMG_5238

 

As you can see ( and some of you probably know) this one can be quite painful regarding fit and sanding...

i decided to first match all fuselage parts, so that there is a complete half (like standard kits)

IMG_7602 IMG_7599

 

IMG_7603 IMG_7601

 

Edited by RCI
pics added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

at that point the Center Engine gave me some headache, but i'll focus on that later.

Another bad idea is the Nose Gear construction. It has to be painted and completed before matching the two halfes... well, ok. No way around it, so i did that.

...waiting until is snaps.... haha

 

IMG_7604

 

looks like an MD11 already... like it. The raw build is basically done, but its needs a LOT of refinement. And i must say, that is reaaaally a long run. All the sanding, glueing, puttying, engraving, polishing and all over again... every time i beginn such a project i regret it after a while haha

 

IMG_7606

 

i work a lot with ethylacetat (thats the german name) , its way easier than other stuff - kind of melts the parts. but surely lot of you guys know this stuff...

allthough i think i will continue to work with tamiya extra thin, it creates less bubbles. i often have issues with tiny bubbles...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That cockpit glazing looks very nice indeed, as does the rest of the model. 

 

Chris.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear you have stopped producing your cockpits, I gat a few of the DC9/717 types a while back, but not used them yet, that MD11 one looks awesome..

 

Liking the idea of this one, I have the same from 26 with the Earlier Thai one that I want to do as the then Crown Prince, now King of Thailand did a State visit to my city, and I got to photograph it, which are in the Walkarounds section on here.

My problem is I have so many started, but unfinished projects, that I have made a decision not to start anything new for a while, just get myself organised to finish some.

It appears you like to use Superglue as your filler, I do the same, as it adds strength and have never had a seam crack open since I started doing that.

Bit late now, but I find that when they give you a construction that seems to force you to add the nose gear, I cut off the top of the cup on one side with a sharp scalpel, that lets you attach to the full side then slip into the half cup that remains on the other side, the big thing with this is to always ensure that it is the down side of the cup that you cut off, you can then add the nosegear at the end as usual.

 

Really looking forward to how you progress with this one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might be interested in how I protected the nose leg of a Revell A350 I built a few months ago. It worked for me and I'll do the same if I ever build the EE MD-11.

 

Dave G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, stringbag said:

That cockpit glazing looks very nice indeed, as does the rest of the model. 

 

Chris.

thx man, there's much more to come in the near future. i decided to only do WIP threats, when i know its at least at 70% finished.

 

9 hours ago, Graeme H said:

Sorry to hear you have stopped producing your cockpits, I gat a few of the DC9/717 types a while back, but not used them yet, that MD11 one looks awesome..

 

Liking the idea of this one, I have the same from 26 with the Earlier Thai one that I want to do as the then Crown Prince, now King of Thailand did a State visit to my city, and I got to photograph it, which are in the Walkarounds section on here.

My problem is I have so many started, but unfinished projects, that I have made a decision not to start anything new for a while, just get myself organised to finish some.

It appears you like to use Superglue as your filler, I do the same, as it adds strength and have never had a seam crack open since I started doing that.

Bit late now, but I find that when they give you a construction that seems to force you to add the nose gear, I cut off the top of the cup on one side with a sharp scalpel, that lets you attach to the full side then slip into the half cup that remains on the other side, the big thing with this is to always ensure that it is the down side of the cup that you cut off, you can then add the nosegear at the end as usual.

 

Really looking forward to how you progress with this one.

 

Thx man, the DC9/717/MD80 part is one of my favourite. Cause also with this one, not a single decal maker got the proportions right. the best i have seen was from 26 and boa with about 85% of the real thing. have some MD11 parts left, if you desperately look for one...

 

filler depends, i basically use almost everything. and i test a lot haha... for example i tried to fill the recessed panel lines around the cabin windows, which are a missed interpretation of the stiffeners along the fuselage. Superglue = best. Revell glue = not a good idea , shrinks in a long process and you have little dents coming up AFTER sanding.

interesting protection technique... but i still cant imagine what it looks like 🙂

9 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

You might be interested in how I protected the nose leg of a Revell A350 I built a few months ago. It worked for me and I'll do the same if I ever build the EE MD-11.

 

Dave G

Hey Dave,

 

your A350 looks awesome! like it...

actually i used that protection technique on winglets, will try it on the gear as well

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

another thing are the wings trailing edges. dear christ, what the heck did they think????? i m so happy they changed this on the DC10, but this one here really gives me headache.

i already sanded them, as you can see, but i m still not happy with it...

 

IMG_7605

 

i made some progress on the flight deck, and i think it is not that bad... i have a photo printer and i think it did a great job.

So for those of you who think that we sit there and stare on instruments for 3h, i do have a disappointment 😄 we dont.

Stuff we read:

- Tech Log (the red one...not really interesting, but necessary)

- OM B / QRH (the one with the MD11 logo on it, usually shortly prior Sim sessions or some smartass thinks he know something better haha)

- Cargo Manifest (never deeply looked into this)

- Newspapers (chosen one from 2001, cause my MD11 will be of that era)

- Adult magazines (most common, i remember at AirBerlin we used to have playboy mags for the pax and we also "read" them. It actually happened once that the playmate of the month ended up on the cockpit door (inside obviously haha).

enjoy 🙂

 

i painted the 6 screens, the seats and some other stuff.

the clear resin part was glued with 2k glue, allthough i later decided to seal it with CA glue, cause i had issues with 2k. If the mixture is not a 100% correct it does not cure properly, so it remains a bit soft and like rubber, which you can not sand 😕  anyone a good tip how to mix small amounts of 2k glue (UHU)?

 

IMG_9153

 

 

IMG_9154 IMG_9156

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good so far. Can't wait to see this finished, I must say the MD11 looks very good in FedEx livery, almost like it was designed for it. I have a 1/200 pre painted resin desktop model of one that I bought in the US when I visited in February 2018. Also I think the first time I saw MD11s was at JFK on the way back, they're not exactly a common sight in Europe so that's hardly surprising. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Looks good so far. Can't wait to see this finished, I must say the MD11 looks very good in FedEx livery, almost like it was designed for it. I have a 1/200 pre painted resin desktop model of one that I bought in the US when I visited in February 2018. Also I think the first time I saw MD11s was at JFK on the way back, they're not exactly a common sight in Europe so that's hardly surprising. 

haha... me too. but i think i m doing quite ok for this kit. Way more work than anything else so far, but i think you are right, looks like this thing was designed for the livery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is looking very promising, using super glue as a filler is definitely the way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Engines are also in progress, quite complicated construction. somehow weird, but the instructions include some mistakes, and some things are not really clear. i made my own plan... so, here are the first pics of the engines.

by the way i changed my paints. never ever anything else then MRP. best stuff for airbrush on this planet 😄

 

 

camphoto_1254324197

 

camphoto_1804928587

 

also the clear part is now fully embedded. still needs some shaping...

i m happy now with the trailing edges, they are quite thin now and it looks like a proper wing 🙂

 

 

IMG_9161

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work, I have a couple of the EE /MicroMir releases of this kit, Pity I did not know about your replacement clear parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers guys!

some further progress on the engines.

I LOVE MRP! these paints are just awesome, it was well worth changing entire paint stock.

engine exhaust section is finished and already weathered. i dont know how much work will be needed once they are attached, but i expect to do some touch ups.

As usual i sanded down the edges at the bypass, cause they are too thick on every airliner kit. once they are thinned, you can also see the bypass from the rear.

Center engine is ready to be glued to the rest of the thing.

Did my own masks for the fans...this silhouette cutter is so massively helpful!

 

IMG_9155 IMG_9145 IMG_9144 IMG_9143 IMG_9142

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent work on an MD11, Sini! 👍 It’s on of my favourite airplanes, so I’ll take a look on your progress here. An engine painting looks superb, keep up the good work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Excellent work on an MD11, Sini! 👍 It’s on of my favourite airplanes, so I’ll take a look on your progress here. An engine painting looks superb, keep up the good work!

thx Nikolay!

 

i will post much more stuff in the next days.

Big steps ahead 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi RCI

Great job with those engines, fortunately there is a lot of space to fill the canopy of what I saw that the fitting is not the best. I always wanted to have a civilian plane in my collection, when I was little I built the 747 of the Airfix with poor results, if I can get my hands on the Simson plane I think I'll have fun building it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, spartacus2000 said:

Hi RCI

Great job with those engines, fortunately there is a lot of space to fill the canopy of what I saw that the fitting is not the best. I always wanted to have a civilian plane in my collection, when I was little I built the 747 of the Airfix with poor results, if I can get my hands on the Simson plane I think I'll have fun building it

thanks, the canopy's fit is actually quite nice, but i messed it a little bite. The reason for that is, its not plastic. Its my own improved version made of clear resin, so you need 2k glue, i took the quick drying stuff, and noticed to late, that i aligned it a little bit off center, not really noticable, but enough to be sanded/puttied. But in generell terms the clear part on this kit is the only thing that fits at all!!

 

13 hours ago, basket said:

Superb job so far !  👏

thx man, more to come!

 

Best regards

Sini

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so, here it is. center engine attached. fit is bad as usual, but that is ok, i m getting used to that, not a tamiya kit 😉

 

its worth mentioning that you save a damn lot of work, if you prepare the engine in diameter and especially in flattening the rim, so at round joint is seamless. saves you work, looks better 🙂

as you maybe can see, there is a lot of putty around the center intake. Note for me: there are two DIFFERENT intake parts. i recognized when i wanted to glue No3's intake on, and NOTHING fitted.

there are lots of traps in this kit, even with 26's edition.

IMG_9147

 

the wingtips are one part with the winglets attached. very thin and fragile, fit is bad as hell, but somehow you have to put them on :)

 

next step: Flap canoes.

only 3 on each side. Importand note: Their angle is tricky, i had some close looks on nose close ups, and i found they are not parallel to the fin, but slightly angled outboard, more on the inner, less on the outer.

another easy and quick method i used here (and on other parts) is my putty technique. i take the acrylic white putty, and once it is dry, i rub it off with a wet q-tip, so only the gap is filled and it lookes like a perfect seal.

 

IMG_9258 IMG_9259

 

and the result:

 

IMG_9257

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice progress yet again, I would have thought the flap track fairings/canoes would be at right angles to the surface of the wing, so their angle with respect tot he fin would change depending on the wing dihedral.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice progress yet again, I would have thought the flap track fairings/canoes would be at right angles to the surface of the wing, so their angle with respect tot he fin would change depending on the wing dihedral.

thats what i would have expected, but look at the link! its something inbetween

 

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/765616/n613fe-fedex-federal-express-mcdonnell-douglas-md-11f/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good progress, looking like a great model so far. 

 

 

On 18/10/2019 at 01:08, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice work, I have a couple of the EE /MicroMir releases of this kit, Pity I did not know about your replacement clear parts.

Didn't know Mikromir released this kit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Good progress, looking like a great model so far. 

 

 

Didn't know Mikromir released this kit?

Yep, 3 boxings so far

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Yep, 3 boxings so far

 

 

Ah right, somehow I had missed this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...