1/72 RAF Transport(s) Projects for 2020

Icelandic Fine Art

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:12 PM, Icelandic Fine Art said:

don't even ask about the windows

The Anigrand is a K2 tanker. Most of the PAX windows are Alu blanking plates so the kit doesn't have enough holes for all the passenger  windows on a C.Mk 1 . The Fin isn't that bad the start of the fin or Dorsal fin is a tight angle ( razor ish ) less than 90 degrees nearer 70 IIRC ( looks okay to me) and contains the Cooler Mod heat exchanger grills but that angle opens out as it gets higher esp above the last smallish panel (dielectric ) . The long lead edge fairing is rounder on the L/edge and to be honest it's good enough . The Rudder PFCU panel lines with the blisters aren't the correct angle to the trailing edge and should be 90 degs to the trailing edge . The tail plane bullet is wrong in Area Rule style profile around the middle top surface ,it's too high not enough dip . Yes the cockpit windows are wrong ..the kits have the sills in a straight line which they're not ,all are slightly off straight . To change the window shapes .. its just a paint job . Haven't checked the side profile of the window angles . The wing tank access panels are wrong and I'm happy with the plank joints and Rib 22 , there is something wrong with the inboard wing L/edge fairings lines though but not a big problem   . The inboard wing fence fitting groove is short but haven't done a dry fit to see where the fence stops at the rear end ( Should be beyond plank5/6 join and stop on Plank 6 . The Flap boat fairings need sorting ,the kit's have a flat top to them otherwise the flap area isn't bad except for the top and bottom wing join messes it up a bit .

Stub wings  ( Your Pylons )aren't wrong they're pretty much correct to the BOAC Standard and K2 Tens . Not okay for Super and RAF's original 14 C.Mk 1s though which have a camber change front to back and the camber gets wider  to give the 3 degree kick up . Beaver tails need slight reshaping .

The wing warping is probably due to packing all those parts into a too small box ,it's difficult to repack the box and get the lid back on . Wings need reinforcing between top and bottom to prevent it's new found habit coming back

Panels for electronics . Hasn't got any to speak of . It does have Dom water and toilet servicing ,LOX /O2 panel , Hyd Reservoir filler panel . Freight door ground crew  access with jack handle a two way hand pump .The belly around the wing root is all drop down panels to the main leg doors  including 2 door drop down  ELRAT  . The  fuselage is  relatively panel free except for 2 centre line bottom lift out for the Radio/Electric Bay (aft of nose leg and fwd of forward Freight Bay ) and another fwd of Nose leg bay . Pretty sure all the aerials are there as are the waste water horns ( one front and one  back galley's and , toilet's sink drains )

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Thanks for that update bzn20, its has certainly made things clearer and less confused. I realise my VC10 is far from perfect and still has a lot faults but I have done my best to update it accordingly; I will make this clear in the notes so modellers are aware of the limitations.

Alan

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

limitations

Considering there were only 54 complete VC10s built the amount of differences is staggering .

On 10/18/2019 at 1:13 AM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

So you haven't heard of the planned Zvezda C-130 for 2020 release in 1/72?

No but I have now..👍

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 1:02 PM, Icelandic Fine Art said:

WV908,

The Hastings that I have is an old design so it has the original tail and radar, I guess a Mk.1 and however far one can go with it. It does have the thimble nose radar as it was intended in its original format; also a cargo, Berlin airlift version can be built with jeep. With a Super VC10, I know nothing about it, I would have to visit Brooklands as they are the authority on VC10s. To be honest, my VC10, is based on an old design and I have had nothing but problems with and it still isn't anywhere as good as I would like it to be. People will go for the Anigrand VC10 simply because they will regard it as the better deal. I am not able to comment on whether there is a demand for a Super VC10; all pointers suggest no, so I will concentrate on the other transports as I know there is much enthusiasm for them. 

Alan

In my world Jeeps are things you hang UNDER a Hastings ready to be dropped by parachute.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:12 AM, WV908 said:

Similarly with the VC-10 a 'Super' has never been done hence the 20-something mm worth of plugs I've made for my Anigrand one. Someone somewhere else mentioned the bend in the wings for that - I cut mine and re-set the outer dihedral.

The Standard VC10s with extended leading edge ( BUA/BCAL , MEA , Ghana , Sultan of Oman , Air Malawi, RAe Bedford ) have the same wing in appearance except wing tip shape  as the Supers , RAF K3 and K4. Minor differences in wing fence positions and one deleted on Supers , Vortex Generators and slat fences . There isn't any dihederal change on the outer wing  (from Rib 22  ) but just some top surface shaping on .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bzn20 said:

There isn't any dihederal change on the outer wing  (from Rib 22  ) but just some top surface shaping on .

There is in the Anigrand kit ;) One wing has dihedral, the other anhedral. It was that bad I had to cut the wing in two places AND soak it to pull it to shape.

The leading edge extension you mention, is this present on the Anigrand wings, or do I have more work to do haha?

Cheers,

WV908.

42 minutes ago, WV908 said:

There is in the Anigrand kit ;)

I have it . My  wings are bent and due (probably) to cramming so much in to that box . Not big enough . Should be okay in warm  water to get rid of the memory in it. I intend to glue and/or even use Csk self tapping screws steel plate on the lower surface . That'll keep it VC10 shaped .

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WV908 said:

There is in the Anigrand kit ;) One wing has dihedral, the other anhedral. It was that bad I had to cut the wing in two places AND soak it to pull it to shape.

The leading edge extension you mention, is this present on the Anigrand wings, or do I have more work to do haha?

Cheers,

WV908.

The wing sweeps up at a constant angle of 2 degrees from the second flap track fairing all the way to the tip. So from the wing root to the second flap track fairing the wing is straight but appears to slope down due to the aerofoil shape of the wing.

Alan

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

slope down due to the aerofoil shape of the wing

That's more or less correct .. I've crawled around inside and on top of those wings for near on 20 years . At the wing root lower surface its a sharp rise up hill going towards the leading edge longitudinal and dives down to the root ( Rib 0) laterally from rib 4/5 ish . On a front elevation drawing it just looks like the whole inbd wing is like that . The thickest part is around mid Chord . It's constant shape and internal height change .The top surface is a different shape altogether for obvious reasons . The wing box ( the basic wing structure that in the VC10 case holds the  fuel) without all the leading and trailing edge false work is described as a tapered torque box .

Edited by bzn20

2 hours ago, bzn20 said:

That's more or less correct .. I've crawled around inside and on top of those wings for near on 20 years . At the wing root lower surface its a sharp rise up hill going towards the leading edge longitudinal and dives down to the root ( Rib 0) laterally from rib 4/5 ish . On a front elevation drawing it just looks like the whole inbd wing is like that . The thickest part is around mid Chord . It's constant shape and internal height change .The top surface is a different shape altogether for obvious reasons . The wing box ( the basic wing structure that in the VC10 case holds the  fuel) without all the leading and trailing edge false work is described as a tapered torque box .

bzn20

Its good to have an experienced hand like yourself as it throws extra light on the subject. Theory is all very well but its the practical knowledge that can sometimes make all the difference between getting the point across and missing it altogether. The VC10 is still a fascinating design and was well advanced for its day and nothing really beats its for its sheer elegance.

Alan

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

nothing really beats its

10 hours ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

for its sheer elegance.

So true Alan, to me she was the Queen of the skies. I must say I have read your posts and and find your approach sincere and professional and with your subject matter I would hope more people try resin kits, contrary to popular belief they do not come with devils horns and a one way ticket to hell   in the box.

I cannot remember after seeing your kits at SMW last year how heavy your kits are. I see someone has already mentioned the weight of wings on some kits, I have a Nimrod AEW conversion kit in 72nd scale and it weighs a ton, maybe some see problems fixing such heavy critical items and the potential for disaster. Do you have anything up your sleeve to make the construction of your kits more less gravity positive and with fewer butt joints that seem to be the norm for so many resin kits?

I hope my questions do not seem impertinent but you come across as a man with a plan...just wondering, that's all 😀

Gary.

22 hours ago, WV908 said:

The leading edge extension you mention

No the Anigrand has them  even though it is supposed to be a K2 ,they were ex BOAC Standards and didn't have the extensions . Think the original Anigrand boxing was for the RAF C.Mk1 which does have them and Anigrand either didn't know about the L/edge extensions or didn't want the expense of changing the wings .

See the  link , sprue view  and go to my post #9. You can see the extension and the dogtooth step back as it goes outboard . This is correct .

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235062148-172-vc10-cmk1-raf-resin-kit/&tab=comments#comment-3473591

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a look at both the Mach 2 and Alan’s VC10 models at Telford, and I have to say I think Icelandic have got it right. £40 price  difference between the two (£80 and £120 respectively) I would happily spend the 40 quid extra to get what I think is a better product 

• Like 2

Alan sat and compared his example with my unbuilt Magna issue. He says Magna got it right so I will go ahead and build it.

Now....not stealing Alan's thunder here... He had his Hastings master on the table, and he has other stuff in the pipeline already with basic masters. He states providing he gets a minimum of 10 firm orders per type, it is worth going ahead with production.

I suggested he runs a Poll on Britmodeller with his planned kits, so expect to see this upcoming. It will be mouth watering I assure you.

He was overwhelmed with enquiries for his projects over the weekend, and goes flat out when production starts.

If you want examples of his current or projected work, then make sure you let him know, or they may not see light of day. He makes almost no profit, it's the joy of making what the customer wants that motivates him. Sales ensure future developments, so keep a watch for new updates.

His VC10 is now pending sufficient interest, and looking again at his master, it is superior to Didier's kit.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

If you want examples of his current or projected work, then make sure you let him know, or they may not see light of day. He makes almost no profit, it's the joy of making what the customer wants that motivates him. Sales ensure future developments, so keep a watch for new updates.

I'm definitely up for VC-10, Voyager, Belfast & Tristar. Plus Beverley too!

One thought though, these are likely to be expensive kits so it would be handy to have some notice of release dates to allow purchasers to save up their modelling tokens. Believe me, that's not a criticism of anyone's pricing structure, just a simple reality for me, where big ticket items have to be budgeted & saved for. I'd hate to miss out & disappoint Alan @Icelandic Fine Art by saying I'll buy one then not following through.

Edge

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Edge said:

I'm definitely up for VC-10, Voyager, Belfast & Tristar. Plus Beverley too!

One thought though, these are likely to be expensive kits so it would be handy to have some notice of release dates to allow purchasers to save up their modelling tokens. Believe me, that's not a criticism of anyone's pricing structure, just a simple reality for me, where big ticket items have to be budgeted & saved for. I'd hate to miss out & disappoint Alan @Icelandic Fine Art by saying I'll buy one then not following through.

Edge

Same here!

Would love the 10, Voyager and Tristar but will need to budget!

Don't think a Beverly is planned. Alan's Belfast masters exist but that is also dependent of the Freightdog issue of their retooled ex Magna one around Easter.

Prices approaching £200 for that. (Freightdog/Magna)

Edited by bentwaters81tfw
edit for clarity
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Prices approaching £200 for that.

Runaway we'll all be killed !

Can't even sneak it in let alone hide letters from the bank . Holy Cow .

23 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Don't think a Beverly is planned. Alan's Belfast masters exist but that is also dependent of the Freightdog issue of their retooled ex Magna one around Easter.

Ah! Thanks for the clarification. I was just going by a previous post. A couple of pretty large airframes in 1/72, so the price doesn't surprise me (or put me off too much if I can raise the readies)

2 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I could easily do a 1/72 Belfast, the masters do need finishing but I think the other company making their version would be able to make a better model than mine, although I would make the fuselage in one piece and provide some rear loading cargo doors; the rest of the detailed work is down to the modeller. I simply don't think, there is serious, enough interest in my Belfast and logic always dictates that one goes for the better model, which will be the other company, even if it costs £50-60 more. Of course as I am not a profit making enterprise, the costs would reflect manufacture and tooling and in my estimation, I could turn out a 1/72 Belfast for £150 plus £10 postage. You the modeller, has to be the judge and decide whether you want to support those who support your hobby, in an intrinsic way, or just carry on as normal. I am quite happy to allow my 72nd Belfast to become another white elephant just like my VC10 but nobody can say I didn't try and in the immortal words of Sir Winston Churchill: '' Through blood, sweat and tears...………….we shall never give in''.

Alan 

• 4 weeks later...