1/72 RAF Transport(s) Projects for 2020

Icelandic Fine Art

It would be seem there has been sufficient momentum given to RAF Transport types after the announcement of the VC10 release and considering that BM members endorse my aircraft projects, I feel I have an obligation to provide them with their so called 'wish list', after all I would not be able stay in business if modellers here did not support me. So in the new year, I will set about work on the following: 1/72 RAF Voyager MRTT Airbus; 1/72 RAF Short Belfast and 1/72 RAF Tristar. I have the masters for the Voyager and Belfast but the Tristar will be a new project, altogether. For those of you who don't know me, I am not a fantasist like so many companies that make promises and can't keep them, I can deliver. I have the knowledge and determination to give modellers' what they want, along with the enthusiasm, which I put above profit and a fair price.  I have been approached by many companies but I refused to become enslaved by them and instead my services would be better served by serving modellers, who have a better feel for their subjects and will appreciate my efforts. Stay tuned and remember, your heard it on BM first. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 8

Any chance a HP Hastings in 1/72 might sneak into your plans Alan? 

I've always had a soft spot for the old girl. It had a staring role in the the Berlin Airlift and as a small boy in the 1960's my pals and I used to sneak into one on the fire dump at RAF Seletar in Singapore and play in the cockpit. Always got caught by the RAF Police patrols and a telling off - but that didn't stop us going back. There were a couple of Vickers Vallettas there too. I think one Guy Fawkes night there was a huge bonfire and firework display at the fire dump and one of the aircraft actually caught fire - whoops!  These aircraft always had a very distinctive smell inside them and recall there was a Blackburn Beverley flight deck at the IWM Duxford - exactly the same smell - The essence of old british aircraft...It's rubber, leather, canvas, bakelite, paint, paxolin, the wiring oh especially the wiring, lovely fabric covered stuff.. Oh and we used venture onto the airfield too occasionally and see the huge Beverleys which were still in service in those days  - on the flight line - like great elephants.

Nostalgia is not what it was in the good old days!

Rich

Edited by RichG

Frank, I wouldn't worry too much, you look fine to me, if anything, I am likely to snuff it before you! 

Rich, I already have a 1/72 Hastings mostly complete but still requires some work, it has an open rear cargo door, with a jeep to boot. I was about to release it but then Mel of S&M objected and I halted further development. I think its about time to get it moving again since there seems to be significant demand, I still have to do a cockpit for it, at least the wings are moulded in one piece and the moving surfaces; I studied the Hastings at Cosford at length, so should be a good representation. After Telford, I will have to restart and get it out. Funny you mention distinctive smell, the one at Cosford also has that leather worn, diesel odour about it. Some things never change. 

I remember the Beverley well as a youngster and air cadet, I thought there was a 1/72 Blackburn Beverley out?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Holy Cow , that lot in 1/72 . You must have  a grip on the World's supply of cardboard to put them in . Room for them ? Bedroom three's gone !

Got my respect . Good luck to you . With your attitude you deserve to succeed .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

I thought there was a 1/72 Blackburn Beverley out?

Well there were a couple of kits over the years - a vacform from Contrail/Sanger and a Magna Kit in resin. Doubt either is currently / readily available. The wings on the Magna kit are solid resin and the model weighs a ton! Big and heavy, just like the real thing 🙂

Rich

Edited by RichG

21 minutes ago, RichG said:

Well there were a couple of kits over the years - a vacform from Contrail/Sanger and a Magna Kit in resin. Doubt either is currently / readily available. The wings on the Magna kit are solid resin and the model weighs a ton! Big and heavy, just like the real thing 🙂

Rich

27 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

:clap:

I applaud your efforts! Do you have a website?

Space Ranger, I have no website but you can always get me on this site, or my email: [email protected]

RichG: I have heard of these kits, I think they are more of collectors items now.

Alan

A 1/72 Tristar and Voyager - just wow. I can actually contemplate the full jet tanker lineup from Valiant to present day..... Out of interest, what variant of Hastings are you looking at? The T.5 (V force trainer) has never been done. Similarly with the VC-10 a 'Super' has never been done hence the 20-something mm worth of plugs I've made for my Anigrand one. Someone somewhere else mentioned the bend in the wings for that - I cut mine and re-set the outer dihedral. 

Cheers,

WV908 

WV908,

The Hastings that I have is an old design so it has the original tail and radar, I guess a Mk.1 and however far one can go with it. It does have the thimble nose radar as it was intended in its original format; also a cargo, Berlin airlift version can be built with jeep. With a Super VC10, I know nothing about it, I would have to visit Brooklands as they are the authority on VC10s. To be honest, my VC10, is based on an old design and I have had nothing but problems with and it still isn't anywhere as good as I would like it to be. People will go for the Anigrand VC10 simply because they will regard it as the better deal. I am not able to comment on whether there is a demand for a Super VC10; all pointers suggest no, so I will concentrate on the other transports as I know there is much enthusiasm for them. 

Alan

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

WV908,

The Hastings that I have is an old design so it has the original tail and radar, I guess a Mk.1 and however far one can go with it. It does have the thimble nose radar as it was intended in its original format; also a cargo, Berlin airlift version can be built with jeep. With a Super VC10, I know nothing about it, I would have to visit Brooklands as they are the authority on VC10s. To be honest, my VC10, is based on an old design and I have had nothing but problems with and it still isn't anywhere as good as I would like it to be. People will go for the Anigrand VC10 simply because they will regard it as the better deal. I am not able to comment on whether there is a demand for a Super VC10; all pointers suggest no, so I will concentrate on the other transports as I know there is much enthusiasm for them. 

Alan

Hi Alan,

The 'Super' VC10 has a longer fuselage both fore and aft of the wings and has the engines set different on new pylons. 

It's interesting what you say about your VC-10 as I think you're underselling it. The anigrand kit is wrong at the back end, is wrong around the tail fairings, has the wrong window arrangement, has terrible droop in the wings and has the cockpit windows set wrong (all of which I'm in the process of correcting) - your kit by the sounds of it will be right in all of these aspects 

Cheers,

WV908

Hello Hans,

Thanks for the European support and I am all too well aware of the importance of the Airbus 330 MRTT, it is now the backbone of refuelling operations for this part of the world and Australia. In order to get this project under way, it is the interest shown by you and others that will make sure it succeeds. 

Alan

4 hours ago, WV908 said:

Hi Alan,

The 'Super' VC10 has a longer fuselage both fore and aft of the wings and has the engines set different on new pylons. 

It's interesting what you say about your VC-10 as I think you're underselling it. The anigrand kit is wrong at the back end, is wrong around the tail fairings, has the wrong window arrangement, has terrible droop in the wings and has the cockpit windows set wrong (all of which I'm in the process of correcting) - your kit by the sounds of it will be right in all of these aspects 

Cheers,

WV908

WV908, 

When I started work on my ten, Anigrand had just brought out their rendition and I thought to myself I would continue work on mine and then I had the opportunity to look at an Anigrand ten, at the same time I was able to make an assessment of an RAF VC10, for a reference. I noted down the points and there were some revelations that I was shocked to discover: The Anigrand VC10, with the panel lines, none of them seem to correspond to an actual aircraft itself, not serious in itself but on a model this size it can become an issue but I guess only if you know what you are looking for; the actual ten tail is a cone shape so it is not a straight line all the way to the end; even the vertical tail is all wrong with the panel lines and actuators in the wrong place; the razor edge on the front of the vertical stabiliser is missing and is too broad; the engines are usually set at 3 degrees to the ground line depending on the subject in question; the front panel window on the cockpit screen is too wide and the angle of the windscreen needs to be a little lower; the actual ten has loads of panels for electronics and antennae, which are missing, the cargo holds are missing and don't even ask about the windows in the fuselage, I have no idea, what that is about. There are many more points but I will end here. Now onto the wing which is a major stumbling block, as the ten had a super critical wing, so the design is quite specific and is similar to the BAC 111 and De Havilland (H.S) Trident, although the Trident has a more complex design, which is another subject in itself, the actual wing portrayed on the Anigrand, well I have no idea what it is suppose to represent. Even how the flap system is represented is confusing, to say the least. The refuelling tip is not NATO standard, don't ask me what it is supposed to be, I have no idea. 

These are just some of the minor faults that add up to bigger faults. Now at this point, my VC10 is not without its faults, the difference is, there are less of them and some are still obvious but less pronounced. The cockpit windscreen is not perfect but has the narrower centre window which is correct. The fuel probe rod is a little over-scaled and can be shaved down a little, the standard NATO refuelling probe is correct and to scale. The shape of the fuselage was difficult to capture and is as near as I could get it. The wings are not perfect but look a lot better than the Anigrand. The engines are tilted at 3 degrees and can be further adjusted accordingly. There are still minor faults on my ten, its all a case of limiting those faults so that they become less noticeable. 

Alan

• Like 3

Comet would be nice as would a decent C-130 .👍

13 minutes ago, F4u said:

as would a decent C-130 .👍

Due to American copyright and licensing laws, Alan will not issue any American designed models, except the F-4K/M, as it has been Anglicised to such an extent as those laws do not apply.

Yes, F4u,

Bentwaters81tfw, is quite right. All US military and civilian aircraft derived from military funding is the property of the Federal Government of the USA. That basically means, the US Government could serve an extradition order in the country concerned if they wanted to, if they felt you as an individual had 'taken their property without proper consultation.' Have you seen what a US prison is like, not Butlins. Besides, my insurance company prohibits the infringement of state copywrite where applicable laws apply, that also applies to national insignia and decals and I know there are those who infringe these laws, that's them, not me. As a matter of concern, you could in theory, copy any manufacturers' decals since most of these companies do not hold a licence from the MOD or foreign governments. No foreign government would give permission to a private company to use their national insignia, its forbidden under international law and the Hague Protocols. As far as Britain is concerned, all national insignia, roundels, letters, squadron and regimental badges and even flying colours and camouflage schemes, are crown copywrite and belong to HM Government. As far as I am aware, Airfix is the only company officially licensed by the MOD. So all those decal manufacturers out there who think they can put copywrite on their decal sheets, are having a laugh. At the end of the day the Government ignores largely what is not legal, it has bigger fish to fry.  

There are more than enough British/English subject matter to last a lifetime and US aircraft in general, I don't find interesting. I am well aware that a decent Brit C130 is needed, and at one point I started some work on one, based on the Herky bird at Cosford but soon realised I would end up in deep water and abandoned the project. The Comet on the other hand has been covered by Welshmodels and Mach 2 and even AIM.  

Alan

• Like 2

19 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

The Sanger Beverley is still available.

The Magna Beverley is being remastered by Combat Kits for release in Summer of 2020, the Belfast was due at Telford next month but has slipped to Spring 2020.   Both have clear resin canopies, metal undercarriage and screen printed decals.    

• Like 1

If you are inclined to go back a bit in time you might consider a Viking/Valetta/Varsity. Aeroclub did a beautiful vacform Varsity many years ago, and there was that Maquette abomination using the Frog Wellington wings and tailplanes, but other than that I don't think there's been one in 1:72.

• Like 1

Funny you should say that Admiral Puff because a little while back I did some research on the Vickers Varsity and I even visited a museum to view a T.1. As a draughtsman I could easily spend a day in the museum and draught a Varsity and return back to my desk and make one, its that easy. Of course adding all the detail is the fun part and sleepless nights. I know the master pattern maker that did the Aeroclub version, the man is a legend and he never ceases to amaze me, there are not many pattern makers of his calibre left. 1/72 scale is the perfect scale for this sort of subject. This is something I will have to look into, l like the old aircraft, they had real character. 

Alan

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

If you are inclined to go back a bit in time you might consider a Viking/Valetta/Varsity. Aeroclub did a beautiful vacform Varsity many years ago, and there was that Maquette abomination using the Frog Wellington wings and tailplanes, but other than that I don't think there's been one in 1:72.

Hei,

S & M models had a resin Vickers Viking, it has ben out of stock for a while.

http://sandmmodels.co.uk/product/vickers-viking/

An Airbus 330 tanker is of interest to North European modellers since a number is on order for a combined unit,

6 hours ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

As far as Britain is concerned, all national insignia, roundels, letters, squadron and regimental badges and even flying colours and camouflage schemes, are crown copywrite and belong to HM Government. As far as I am aware, Airfix is the only company officially licensed by the MOD.

Alan

Its far more cloudy than that:

In 2004 the ministry took on the Arcadia group, the company behind high street brands including Topshop, Burton and Dorothy Perkins, as it tried to get the roundel registered as a trademark. The Patent Office rejected the MoD application but gave it sole rights to use the roundel on all non-clothing items, such as memorabilia and military equipment. Five years after the original ruling the MoD took the Next group to court for using the roundel on a duvet, they lost that too. The controller-general of patents, designs and trademarks acknowledged  that the roundel had subsumed itself into popular culture and was "associated with a group of persons known as mods". I venture these rulings have opened up more questions, than they have provided answers to.

I very much doubt they could enforce the copyright on the use of camouflage either.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1