‘Egyptair’ Airbus A321 in 1/144

I present my Zvezda A321 in the delightful Egyptair livery SU-GBT. It’s a simple, yet sophisticated looking livery that they adopted in 2008.

The build was OOB, with the aftermarket decals supplied by Ray at 26Decals and Authentic Airliner Cockpit and Cabin Decals. One thing I do like with the Zvezda Airbus kits is that they have the correct scale for the winglets, which saves having to make your own or purchase some from Braz. As with my other Zvezda kits the fit is excellent and only minimal filling is required, it even comes with the clear windows which are ok, but are incredibly thin. It also, like the A320 kit, has the option to have the flaps/slats extended and also to have the L1 door open with a detailed internal FWD Galley area. There is also a detailed cockpit, but I opted for filling the windscreen and using the AA decals.

Being an all over white fuselage and engine nacelles, this was achieved using Halfords White Rattle Can Primer and then brush painted using Humbrol Gloss White. The wings and horizontal stabilisers are Revell Aqua 371 and my own mix of lightened Revell Aqua 374 for the coroguard sections with Revell Aqua 99 leading edges. I initially used the ‘blacked’ out windows, and then went over them with the AA ones after falling in love with them while building my Qatar 787. Luckily they aligned ok over the old ones, to avoid damaging the ‘main’ decals trying to remove them. Hopefully I have managed to bring her to life a little. 

Right enough waffling on now, as always thank you for taking the time to read and have a look. Any constructive feedback and comments are always welcomed.

Regards,

Alistair

Egyptair A321

Egyptair A321

Egyptair A321

Egyptair A321

Egyptair A321

Egyptair A321

Egyptair A321

Egyptair A321

Egyptair A321

Egyptair A321

Egyptair A321

Egyptair A321

Egyptair A321

Egyptair A321

Edited by Scotsman07
  • Like 27

Wow! That is beautiful!

As someone who has spent many hours on international and domestic EgyptAir flights, it is a shame that the on-board service is not as wonderful as the livery!

I bought a Zvezda B-777-300ER with  EgyptAir aftermarket decals a few years ago, but never got around to building it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on an excellent model Alistair. Egyptair is definitely one of the most attractive current liveries and the Authentic Airliners windows really bring it to life. Your weathering is top notch as well. I still can't get my head round your models being hand painted.:goodjob:

What can we look forward to next?

Dave G

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Wow! That is beautiful!

As someone who has spent many hours on international and domestic EgyptAir flights, it is a shame that the on-board service is not as wonderful as the livery!

I bought a Zvezda B-777-300ER with  EgyptAir aftermarket decals a few years ago, but never got around to building it. 

Thank you 😃! I’ve never flown with them, but that’s a shame that the service is not that great. You should get round to doing it haha, I love the 773 👍🏻.

Regards, 

Alistair

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

You sure that's not just a picture of the real thing?

Thank you 👍🏻. That is a great compliment to hear 😀.

Regards,

Alistair

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

Congratulations on an excellent model Alistair. Egyptair is definitely one of the most attractive current liveries and the Authentic Airliners windows really bring it to life. Your weathering is top notch as well. I still can't get my head round your models being hand painted.:goodjob:

What can we look forward to next?

Dave G

Thank you Dave 😃. I have to agree, I do like the scheme a lot, and I absolutely love the AA decals... thank you for the compliment 👍🏻, it requires patience to avoid spoiling the paint work... the problem is I put a lot of pressure on myself to get it right lol... 

I currently have an A320 on the bench (shocked I know 😂) that I have refurbed and will be in the ‘Air Berlin’ livery. Then it’ll be picking between a few projects lol...

Regards,

Alistair

4 minutes ago, Abandoned Project said:

Impressive as always.

:goodjob: on a lovely livery.

I have one question, if you are able to rattle can the primer, why not rattle can the appliance white afterwards as well?

Thank you 👍🏻. That is a good question lol, I ran out of it and thought I’d try the paintbrush white option 😂... more laziness on my part lol... despite it creating more work haha.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scotsman07 said:

Thank you 👍🏻. That is a good question lol, I ran out of it and thought I’d try the paintbrush white option 😂... more laziness on my part lol... despite it creating more work haha.

Still, it looks great and your brush work is always of a very fine standard.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Very smart. Memories of travelling Cairo - Luxor back in 2003. Was in the old livery. I have a 773 in the old livery. Flew Heathrow - Cairo in that.

No booze on the flights, but it was easy to buy on the ground.

Lovely, I don’t have any models in the old livery. Would like to see your 773 though 👍🏻. Oh really, I’m sure you took advantage of that lol 😃.

Alistair

6 hours ago, kapam said:

Beautiful A321!

The tarmac base really sets it off too - I assume that's your own work as well.

Excellent all round!

:goodjob::worthy:

Thank you 😃. Yes the tarmac base was my own work, made using some cardboard. It’s not perfect nor probably accurate but it helps me when I am photographing them for RFI. 

Alistair

4 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Fantastic looking aircraft, love the window decals 👍

But she needs to be towed to the hangar for a good wash 😀 

Thank you, they do really help to add that extra touch of detail. Yeah she definitely needs a wash lol... that’s the next thing on the agenda I think 😂.

Alistair

40 minutes ago, Scotsman07 said:

Lovely, I don’t have any models in the old livery. Would like to see your 773 though 👍🏻. Oh really, I’m sure you took advantage of that lol 😃.

It's and old photo, but here she is.

d084342a-48b6-45e4-8493-f608b968eb09.jpg

• Like 1

A stunning model and the quality of your paint finish really shines through. Generally I find modern airline liveries a bit garish compared to the 50s/60s/70s but this scheme is very attractive.  Btw, I think who ever invented the cockpit and cabin decal concept is a bit of a genius. They work really well.

Edited by Meatbox8
  • Thanks 1

That's a great job, think those cockpit and window transfers are so lifelike.

Does the kit come with dropped flaps ?

With all the work on them the model would look great ta V2, just rotating off a blurred base as you obviously have a talent for the bases. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

A stunning model and the quality of your paint finish really shines through. Generally I find modern airline liveries a bit garish compared to the 50s/60s/70s but this scheme is very attractive.  Btw, I think who ever invented the cockpit and cabin decal concept is a bit of a genius. They work really well.

Thank you. Agreed most modern airlines look very similar. I know, they really help to bring a model to life... I was recommended them by a few fellow modellers on here.

Alistair

7 hours ago, Paulaero said:

That's a great job, think those cockpit and window transfers are so lifelike.

Does the kit come with dropped flaps ?

With all the work on them the model would look great ta V2, just rotating off a blurred base as you obviously have a talent for the bases. 

Thank you, they certainly to make it feel more lifelike. Yeah the kit comes with the option to have the flaps extended or retracted. 

Now that has given me an idea for a future project. Would have to work out to how do the blurred lines etc of the runway but that would look awesome 😃...

Alistair

Wow, Alistair...once again a fine job on a beautiful build. The Egypt Air livery is one of the nicest and still artistic liveries in modern times, breaking up the white whale look on such a beautiful airplane. You painted the fuselage white by hand? Seriously? Can’t tell...I’m really amazed that you’ve done such a great job with the brush...something only the courageous would attempt. Really a nice job on the weathering, too. Everything about this one  is top notch. Just got a Zvezda A321 last week, and your excellent build is inspiring to get It opened and on the workbench. Thanks for sharing. 

• Thanks 1

On 17/10/2019 at 22:48, Challenger350Pilot said:

Wow, Alistair...once again a fine job on a beautiful build. The Egypt Air livery is one of the nicest and still artistic liveries in modern times, breaking up the white whale look on such a beautiful airplane. You painted the fuselage white by hand? Seriously? Can’t tell...I’m really amazed that you’ve done such a great job with the brush...something only the courageous would attempt. Really a nice job on the weathering, too. Everything about this one  is top notch. Just got a Zvezda A321 last week, and your excellent build is inspiring to get It opened and on the workbench. Thanks for sharing. 

Thank you 😃. I tried to create the effect of the steps/Airbridge scuffing the L1 door... what livery are you thinking for your A321, it’s a lovely kit to build... I might get another soon but it’s just deciding on a livery for it haha.

Alistair

14 hours ago, halcyonjet said:

Great work there Alistair! I really like the realistic scuff marks that the steps leave below the forward door.

Dave

Thank you Dave, that’s a great compliment. 

Alistair

11 hours ago, stevej60 said:

That's another cracker Alistair,great job.

Thank you 😃