An hour at Perth airport, testing a new lens

wallyinoz

No I wont be buying it     some photos werent sharp enough because i was using a low shutter speed to test the stabilisation, then forgot to change it lol
great lens ..very expensive but a real handful (Canon 200 400mm USM F4 1.4 x converter built in) weighs a bloody ton, would get serious arm cramps in an airshow environment.

48908590796_f3e79cf39c_h.jpg
48908060093_9a11a6eca2_h.jpg
48908060863_b8678bfadb_h.jpg
48908059318_26385bb685_h.jpg

couple more in the photostream

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm - haven't been there for a few years. Flying in over the wheatbelt and the Darling Scarp as dawn breaks and the sun rises is a spectacular experience.

I know it's an older lens but I've been using Canon's 100-400 5.6 lens for the past decade and really like it. I can manage the weight most of the time but after a long day it does become a chore.

John

Hi John,

Yep the canon 100 400 5.6  II is my usual lens, it is fantastic and I will never complain about its size and weight again since trying out that 200 400 1.4 extender! (Well actually I did complain about its weight when I was climbing a bloody mountain in the stirling ranges last week) Still I had better get used to that as I hope to get on the Mach Loop in next years visit to the UK, a wee bit of climbing required for that

19 hours ago, wallyinoz said:

Hi John,

Yep the canon 100 400 5.6  II is my usual lens, it is fantastic and I will never complain about its size and weight again since trying out that 200 400 1.4 extender! (Well actually I did complain about its weight when I was climbing a bloody mountain in the stirling ranges last week) Still I had better get used to that as I hope to get on the Mach Loop in next years visit to the UK, a wee bit of climbing required for that

I know the Mach Loop well. I was there a couple of weeks ago for several days. Despite that I rarely make the effort to spend a day on the slopes - I can watch the stuff fly past from the balcony of the holiday home. It's not the best vantage point by a long way but I can be an idle beggar at times.

If you are intending to do the Loop at any point, the two main car parks (Bwlch and Cad West) can get very busy when word gets round that there is interesting 'trade' due. I've seen the police present once or twice as idiots have abandoned cars in places that are a danger to other road users.

Regards,

John

spacer.png

18 hours ago, wallyinoz said:

where is your holiday home john?

Dyfi Valley (that's the inland leg of the Loop) - much lower hills and not the spectacular crags that you see further round at the Bwlch and Cad West.

The traffic heads north up the Dyfi Valley and takes the Loop in an anti-clockwise direction - banking left towards the Bwlch, before turning left again past Cad West and down towards Talyllin - and then left again through towards Corris and down to Machynlleth (hence 'Mach' Loop) before going left again back into the start of the Dfyi valley.

In terms of traffic, Hawks are commonplace, as are Texans these days, although you still see the occasional Tucano. Also common are F15Es and Herks (US and UK). Ospreys are fairly frequent visitors (although if the latter come through at night all you see are the green nav lights on the nose).

Regards,

John