Airfix's new 1/72 Bucc

So for an attempt at a first work in progress the Mighty Bucc which jumped into my hands at Newark air museum, not sure if I can give them a plug but as a member you get 20% of  new kits so this cost the princely sum of £20.

Like many I am guilty of buying a kit looking at it and adding it to the stash but I broke with tradition and broke out the tools.

The kit is stunning engineering wise and fit is nothing short of amazing.

Please bear with me with photos a I am new to this posting lark...   

• Like 6

So a start on the cockpit , not going to be using the kit seats but some metal ones I just happen to have lying about  but other than that am aiming to make this a quick build wings folded, airbrakes out  canopy closed  

P1540225

Basic tub decals for the details which with a closed canopy will be suffice 

P1540233

Lots of internals but would be difficult to replicate all the 'boxes', think it was in the 'Boy's book it referred to the cockpit as an ergonomic nightmare … Certainly remember it from sitting in a 208 sqn jet in Gib back in 87

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

why Airfix has split the nose down the middle ia a mystery

I don't think it can be moulded as a single piece, and even if they could, how would you get the cockpit inside?

8 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

It does look a fantastic kit but why Airfix has split the nose down the middle ia a mystery

I suspect it’s to give them the option of doing an S. Mk. 1 with a minimum of re-tooling.  The earlier variant had additional air intakes in the wing roots as well as smaller diameter engine air intakes and I don’t think the current mouldings allow for this.

Kit manufacturers have for a long time had “problems” getting fuselages moulded as top and bottom halves to join satisfactorily (some more than others) so eliminating such joints is probably seen as A Good Thing.  If the nosewheel bay is integral with the cockpit it might also make installation of that assembly easier.

Mine arrived last week. It does look rather splendid, but I dare not start yet as I have some last minute Telford builds to get done, plus some long running other builds on here - my signature tells all!

Will follow your build with much interest.

Terry

Given the fit of the parts so far I think the nose will literally 'melt' together like the rest of it thanks to plastic weld,

next up internals

The main bay has been built up and parts literally clicking together just a brush full of solvent. I think I would be weary of paining as you go along the tolerance are tight but a perfect fit 

P1540234

Full internal structure the exhaust ducts have part of the gear bay built in so I think it will have the strength of the real thing. Again I think it was in the 'Boy's book that the Buccaneer wasn't so much built but carved from solid !!

P1540237 P1540238

Dry fitted in place literally a click together 

• Like 9

Tail assembly built while the cockpit is in the paint shop, this kit really is infectious 

P1540242

Not going to drill out any detail for speed will use washes on this one

P1540244

Underside detail will want some highlighting in EDSG getting tempting to do a white underside A/C to pick up all that detail with a dark wash

P1540246

The airbrakes are a work of art in themselves vey solid assembly . Can we hazard how long it is before this gets upscaled to 48th ? 

P1540248

and clicked into place

• Like 14

So all the major sub assemblies done fantastic breakdown , will get the major components together tonight 

P1540255

Am hoping the fit is good enough so I can leave the intakes off so I can chrome them with Alcald  without any masking ??  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Coming along beautifully! Once there's some cheaper ones on ebay I'll be tempted.

I wish my Phantom clicked together as well as this!

Agree about the Phantom comments they are over complicated. My buc is ready for painting by Friday great kit.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Coming along beautifully! Once there's some cheaper ones on ebay I'll be tempted.

I wish my Phantom clicked together as well as this!

Whist's I have no Direct connection with Airfix I can honestly say for ease and fund to build this has got to be one of the best kits I have built in many many years. Well engineered and thought out but not overly complex.

Don't think they will come down much, the Phantoms haven't, having seen the reviews and  it in the flesh, or plastic, it is like a differing firms.

Must dig out the previous Bucc for comparison but I think the Fujimi phantom still wins the FG1/FGR2 slot.  

• Like 4

Nice work so far, i'll be following along. Going to hang onto mine until the AM comes out, but does look a great kit. I think we can be certain of an RAF version next year.

I did built the fist Phantom last year, my first of the new breed of Airfix kits. I loved it, didn't have any major issues. I already have the FGR.2 and am awaiting the RAF FG.1.

5 hours ago, phildagreek said:

This looks good, it all seems to be going together well, I have to confess it's Phantom hangar mate has gone back into it's box in frustration, I'm swapping it's decals onto an Academy version.

I take it you mean a Fujimi version....

Have to admit I have had the same thought 

• Like 1