1/72 - Horten Ho-IX V1 (glider & with engines) by AMP - released

Homebee

• 1 month later...

We could certainly do with a V1 and V2 but the modelling community continues its delusion that any Ho.229 resembling the V3 (now at NASAM)  would ever have seen combat.

The substantially revised V6 would have been the first of 10 further prototypes  and represented the proposed production version...….. although production was never authorised.

So can we have a 1/72   V6 ??   and also a V6 two seat derivative (as per the Dragon model).   Decent drawings exist - no primary research needed.

Zouki Mura's  Ho.229 is a truly superb and accurate model but the two seat conversion they offer, is a complete fantasy. 

The real two seater project  was derived from V6 whose internal structure was completely different to V3 and Zoukei Mura did not feel they could produce an entirely new model.

Paul 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

As far as I know, the AMP kit is not in stock in the UK even though it was released in August 2020. Consequently I took the precaution of buying one via ebay but I was curious if nyone knows what the hold up is ?

Incidentally it seems a nice kit although there is some flash on some of the very fine undercarriage parts.

Like Zac, a V2 would be vey welcome but I wonder if AMP realise that they could adapt the moulding to produce the original H.IX in the form it was  'sold' to Goering, with an impractically shot undercarriage.

Pul

21 hours ago, Mu17 said:

As far as I know, the AMP kit is not in stock in the UK even though it was released in August 2020. Consequently I took the precaution of buying one via ebay but I was curious if nyone knows what the hold up is ?

Incidentally it seems a nice kit although there is some flash on some of the very fine undercarriage parts.

Like Zac, a V2 would be vey welcome but I wonder if AMP realise that they could adapt the moulding to produce the original H.IX in the form it was  'sold' to Goering, with an impractically shot undercarriage.

Pul

Yes, I have a book on the Horten brothers' planes. Start of work on V-2 in the near future

• Like 1

The best book available is Horten Ho229 Spirit of Thuringia by my friend Huib Ottens, recently republished by Crecy. It has the BEST drawings available of all versions - by the expert Arthur Bentley.  

Many photos in the Schiffer books by David Myhra, although the words a unreliable.

Consider also the V6 production version - no kit of this has eve ben made - I can help with some original drawings - please contact me....

[email protected]

Paul Williams

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Horten Ho-IX V1 (glider & with engines) by AMP - glider released - new variant with engines in 2021

We were all expecting an H.IX.V2 - the only version of the H.IX/Ho229 that flew powered but instead we get a real surprise.

This kit is the H.IX as it was originally designed and presented to Goering.  The Hortens attempted to maximise performance by making the aircraft as small and as densely 'packed' as possible. However it is obvious that as designed, it was impractical because the wheels are far too small for the weight of the aircraft and too short to allow for rotation and side-slip landings. 

The Hortens imply that after Goerings approval, they were simply allowed to go ahead and build the H.IX - even though they had never built anything heavier or faster than the H,Vc light twin, which could be compared to a Miles Gemini. (Note that contrary to Horten statements, the H.VII twin did NOT fly until after the H.IX.VI) ).  Despite the lack of documentation, it seems obvious that the RLM demanded a longer undercarriage and other significant alterations.

So this isn't really a What If - its actually how the Ho.229 started life. However I hope that we will see the H.IX.V2 in due course -  perhaps AMP will realise that there is also a market for the pre production V6 and even the two seater in 1/72.

Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Quite agree , although there are plenty of Ho.229 kits, other Hortens have been thin on the ground - Planet do an H.VII.   Sharkit have produced H.IIIb, H.IIIf, H.XIIIa and H.XIIIb, H.X delta., also a badly fitting H.XVIIIa and a fundamentally inaccurate H.XVIIIb.   

Fruitbat did a very limited run of H.Vc but impossible to find.

CMK produce and H.IVa  - this is reboxed as an H.IVb which is totally wrong as wing sweep, airbrakes, canopy are different.

Bird do a just about acceptable H.X  Volksjager (sic)

However, the H.I,  H.II, H.IIm,  H.IIIa, H.IIIc, H.IIId, H.IIIe,  H.Va, H.Vb, Prabola, H.VI, H.XII, H.XIV  remain unkitted.

Paul

• Thanks 1

Excellent posts here guys.  This is exactly the sort of info that I enjoy about this forum.  Thanks for the details and explanations as to the differences in the Horten machines and which kits depict which versions and so on!

After 50 years of Horten research, contributing to the Selinger/Horten book Nurflugel, editing one of David Myhras Horten booksand becoming good friends with Huib Ottens who wrote Spirit of Thuringia........ the search for the true Horten story continues. The Hortens were great self publicists and networkers with a talent for getting financial and political support. Consequently they had a flexible attitude to the truth and in Myhras interviews, you can see the brothers contradict both themselves and each other. Timelines are also distorted, successes sometimes exaggerated and failures simply edited out.

Spirit of Thuringia remains the best book out there and contains Arthur Bentleys superb drawings.

There is still more to be written about the development and testing of the Ho.IX/Ho.229. In particular the proposed production plans which were cancelled at least three times and at the end of the war only V3, V4. V5 were under construction ...... as per the Revell, Dragon and Zoukei Mura kits but only those three identical single seaters would have that appearance.  The modified V6 would have been the first of 10 prototypes V6-15 and ONLY if they proved successful would series production be authorised - take note Luft 46 modellers.

Paul

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Horten Ho-IX V1 (glider & with engines) by AMP - glider released - new variant with engines in 2022
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Horten Ho-IX V1 (glider & with engines) by AMP - glider released - box art+ sprues new variant with engines in 2022

Brilliant and looks good to me. The separate control surfaces will help to create the correct 'look' especially for the outer Friese nosed elevons. The model will look quite different with the flaps drooped.  There is every reason to believe that we will see an H.IX.V2 in due course - which was the only powered one to actually fly.

Oddly, no one has previously produced a kit of the V2. 

The identical V3, V4 and V5 are well catered for in 1.72 by Revell and Zoukei Mura.

I suggest that if folk want a V6  and a V6 two seater in 1/72, now is the time to shout, while we have AMP's attention.

Paul

• Like 2

On 1/25/2022 at 6:04 PM, Mu17 said:

Brilliant and looks good to me. The separate control surfaces will help to create the correct 'look' especially for the outer Friese nosed elevons. The model will look quite different with the flaps drooped.  There is every reason to believe that we will see an H.IX.V2 in due course - which was the only powered one to actually fly.

Oddly, no one has previously produced a kit of the V2. 

The identical V3, V4 and V5 are well catered for in 1.72 by Revell and Zoukei Mura.

I suggest that if folk want a V6  and a V6 two seater in 1/72, now is the time to shout, while we have AMP's attention.

Paul

Yes, V-2 and V-6 are planned too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...