1/72 Junkers Ju 86R-1, RS Models

Fuad

That is a beauty, for sure, Fuad!! it is one of the best models - build, subject, etc - that I have seeen on BM for a while. And you got that quality in 1/72!! :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Great model Fuad! I enjoy your choice of unusual subjects. How do you stay informed about the specifics of such airplanes (detail, colour etc.) - there are not many books.

Really interesting subject. I didn't expect to see it in desert colors.  This was the high altertude plane wasn't it used for long range recon.  If my memory serves me right it was the reason behind the development of higher altitude fighters.

Lovely. Not seen this kit built before.

Did an Italeri Ju86 with radials years ago that went together well. What were the 'challenges' of this kit? Wasn't it one of these that 'bothered' Malta until they could get a fighter up to see it off (maybe even shoot it down)?

Matt

Another beautiful build and finish, Fuad! I have this one in my inventory, but there's no use taking it out of the box, now; I don't think I could even come close to what you have done with this kit. Does it go together pretty well- any major issues to deal with?

Mike 

7 minutes ago, Mattlow said:

Lovely. Not seen this kit built before.

Did an Italeri Ju86 with radials years ago that went together well. What were the 'challenges' of this kit? Wasn't it one of these that 'bothered' Malta until they could get a fighter up to see it off (maybe even shoot it down)?

Matt

I think that one was a Ju-86P, a diesel-powered variant. The Spitfire was a specially modified and lightened Spitfire Vb flown by Prince Emanuel Galitzine, who managed to put a round into the leading edge of the Ju-86. See the link to his story- a very interesting flier!

Mike

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1418277/Prince-Emanuel-Galitzine.html

Galatzine had an early Spitfire Mk.IX, and it was a P but over the UK.   It was the MU at Alexandria that lightened a couple of Spitfire Mk.Vs and claimed an R - although apparently the Germans didn't notice being attacked and the following engine failure leading to a ditching in the Mediterranean had nothing to do with it...  Both variants were diesel engined.  Alexandria were sent a couple of pressurised Mk.VIs but they were considered too heavy to chase Junkers and were used for some high-altitude PR: now that'd be a different Spitfire variant to model if any photos appeared.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Galatzine had an early Spitfire Mk.IX, and it was a P but over the UK.   It was the MU at Alexandria that lightened a couple of Spitfire Mk.Vs and claimed an R - although apparently the Germans didn't notice being attacked and the following engine failure leading to a ditching in the Mediterranean had nothing to do with it...  Both variants were diesel engined.  Alexandria were sent a couple of pressurised Mk.VIs but they were considered too heavy to chase Junkers and were used for some high-altitude PR: now that'd be a different Spitfire variant to model if any photos appeared.

I stand corrected- the old Mk 1a memory banks ain't what they used to be! Wish I had your encyclopedic recall, Graham! (At least I spelled everything correctly!)

Mike

14 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

That is awesome! I love the aircraft, I love the scheme. How does it compare to other aircraft in size? Similar to a Lanc? 

Is there a WIP thread?

The fuselage of this aircraft is not so big. But the wing is very sweeping. Because it is a high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft.
Unfortunately, I don't make any photoreport from building of models.

I will try to answer all the questions in one post.
The manufacturer of the model is the Czech company RS Models. It is relatively fresh and is still on free sale.
The model is made by the classic technology of "short run". This means that large parts of the model do not fit perfectly. Small parts require careful processing. The model has photo-etched parts that take a lot of time for their application. The model assembly scheme is not entirely obvious - as a result, I made one significant error - all deflected wing surfaces should be at a distance from it, and not right next to mine. I also forgot to unstick the adhesive tape on the three windows of the photo equipment below. By the way, which must be done by himself. And it is also desirable to make the cameras themselves. The glazing of the cabin is completely opaque and disgustingly distorts visibility. In short - I did not get any pleasure from the assembly of this model. 
Therefore, it is not surprising that there are not many built models of this outstanding aircraft on the network.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

A very unusual aircraft type - and a model you don't see built very often!

I did not know the Ju-86R's operated in the MTO.

Beautiful build!

Hi Roman.  I didn't either.  I know the Ju-86P operated out of Crete.  The two variants look very similar, it must be said.