Tamiya 1/24 Citroen 2CV Fourgonnette

Hi all, I've had this kit in my stash for a while and I was really looking forward to building it. An aunt and uncle owned one of these back in the '70's / early '80's and we all just loved riding in it. They had bolted 2 custom made wooden chairs to the floor of the cargo area (yep, you could do that back then) and we went in through the back doors to ride along. For this project, I didn't make the chairs as I wanted to do a relatively quick out of box build. I did try to match the colour, I think it came out nicely. For the license plates I used the ones from Paris that came with the kit to give it that French touch. All paints are Vallejo, brush painted. Some chrome details with Molotow pen. I used satin varnish instead of gloss as I felt it suited the car better. In my memory this thing did definitely not shine. 

The kit comes together quite well, though some sprues are less crisply molded than others. The engine is quite nicely detailed, I did add some wires from reference pics to make the engine bay a little fuller. All in all I'm quite pleased with it, it's just a lovely little car.

A nice thing about this kit is that it has "working" suspension. The axles are connected to the chassis in such a way, that when you push the car down it will bounce back up, creating a "springy" effect. It's a true Citroën!

Some pics!

20200207173302-e9c3b5b4-me.jpg

20200207173301-e62e8895-me.jpg

20200207173302-dd44f4f6-me.jpg

20200207173303-ee4401c1-me.jpg

20200207173303-ee4401c1-me.jpg

20200207173300-3179ac1b-me.jpg

20200207173303-5e39f1e3-me.jpg

20200207173300-52d569fa-me.jpg

20200207173300-090d2186-me.jpg

I didn't take any pics during the build but I'd like to share a "Google translate doesn't always work in Japan" situation as I thought it was funny. 

20220407191557-c3cbd99c.jpg

Thanks for looking in and I would appreciate any feedback!

• Like 19

41 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

I didn't take any pics during the build but I want to share a "Google translate doesn't always work in Japan" situation as I thought it was funny. 

48907603847_76e512468e_z.jpg

Perhaps it's a snack for the driver?! :)

Lovely little van Jeroen, it looks to me like she's just come out of a full nut and bolt restoration - a real one probably never looked that good out of the Citroen factory! I like the colour, really suits it!

Cracking build!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This explains why you'd 'gone dark' as it were. It's a very good result, even if you'd said it was a detailed build, so even better for a quick job,

Really can't think of any other feedback to give other than that it's another fine model. At a push, there could be an argument that with the satin paint it may have been a candidate for some more of that weathering you had on the truck, but I still like it as it is.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Andy J said:

Great work on this. Don't see many brush painted finished kits these days your brush skills are awesome. Very tidy indeed 👍

Thanks, I'd never done a completely brush painted model before and I really enjoyed it. I can only airbrush in my shed and it's too humid now, so this is a great alternative. There are lots of kits for which a brush painted finish is entirely possible and I will be doing more. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spiny said:

This explains why you'd 'gone dark' as it were.

Correct! But no worries, I've already started a new build and will be starting a WIP thread for it soon!

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

I'd never done a completely brush painted model before

Good grief, I missed where you said you'd brush painted it - that's an incredible finish from a brush, really impressive work!

Keith

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Good grief, I missed where you said you'd brush painted it - that's an incredible finish from a brush, really impressive work!

Thanks Keith. Well, if you look really closely there will be little specks of dust and such in some places, that probably stick to the brush. I think I need to wipe the brush on something less "papery". But I like doing it, it's an easy setup and quite fast, the paint dries like the wind so you'll have a couple of layers on in no time. 

1 hour ago, Marco F. said:

fantastic Outcome, espacially because it`s brush painted which fits the cargoduck very well.

Cargoduck, haha, yes we call it a "besteleend" which would translate to German as something like a "Lieferente". 

Uitstekend, Jeroen, and very good brushwork.

I am lucky enough to have a 1:1 scale saloon, with a tricky conversion of the Revell kit to right-hand-drive in (very slow) progress to make a 1:24 model of it. 

20191018_081625

Although my modelling ‘mojo’ has gone missing again, at least finding accurate references isn’t a problem!

20190928_101935

(The RHD versions have that extra fourth beige air tube, by the way.)

I would love to have a Fourgonnette, both full size and in model form. I think I’ll be getting the Tamiya version first though, and if it looks as good as yours I'll be happy.

Jon

Edited by Jonners
  • Like 4

Thanks! Your 1:1 is a real beauty. Very nice reference of the engine bay too, it looks crispy clean. By the way, the Tamiya Fourgonnette kit also contains parts for the saloon version, maybe it will help you with your 1:24 version. From the top of my head, there's a floor pan, door cards, the double seater in the front and an open and closed version of the roof.  

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

In Germany we normaly call it 

"Kastenente" -boxduck- 

but yesterday I could not remember it and so I thought cargoduck sounds nice😊

Marco F

Cargoduck does have a nice ring to it, although English speakers must be wondering what on earth we're on about with all this "duck" stuff 🙂 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JeroenS said:

although English speakers must be wondering what on earth we're on about with all this "duck" stuff

I've no idea, but I think cargoduck sounds great (hope it isn't rude when translated though!! :rofl:)

Keith

34 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I've no idea, but I think cargoduck sounds great (hope it isn't rude when translated though!! :rofl:)

Nothing to worry about Keith! It's just that the 2CV's nickname is "duck" in The Netherlands ("eend") and in Germany ("Ente"). 

• Like 1

Hi JeroenS Like it. That's a real good brush paint job. Would not have the talent to try that. Been on lookout for kit (again) as a while ago I wrecked the one I had.(Glazing totally rubbished)   Go on it happens to some of us.

• Thanks 1