JASDF T-33 - very colourful

hi all,

After finishing my Mitsubishi F-2, i fancied something more simple, so i started the 1/48 Great Wall Hobby T-33 kit about three weeks ago.

As you can see, it doesn't take a lot to get it finished, as the detail and fit of parts is excellent. Everything you see is straight from the box apart from Eduard steel seatbelts and decals from Platz. The only issues i had with the plastic were a gap on the top of the intakes and the nose cone being too narrow, both of which needed filler to correct. Unfortunately, the panel lines are so fine, they are easily eradicated, both by sanding and painting. Be warned, that you must follow the instructions numbering for the main undercarriage wheels as they are weighted and angled.

The overall paint finish is Alclad White Aluminium, and MRP International Orange over yellow to match the orange dayglo seen in photos of the actual aircraft. I had huge issues with the paint being marked by Tamiya tape, even though i had used coats of Future to protect it. This happened throughout the build and i have no idea why, as everything was left to dry at least 24 hours, there were two types of tape, and different paints too.

Anyway, it got there in the end and you can see it at Telford on the Asian Air Arms SIG table.

thanks

Andy

T-33-4-Hikotai-1.jpg

T-33-4-Hikotai-10.jpg

T-33-4-Hikotai-11.jpg

T-33-4-Hikotai-2.jpg

T-33-4-Hikotai-3.jpg

T-33-4-Hikotai-4.jpg

T-33-4-Hikotai-5.jpg

T-33-4-Hikotai-6.jpg

T-33-4-Hikotai-7.jpg

T-33-4-Hikotai-8.jpg

T-33-4-Hikotai-9.jpg

• Like 43

Great looking build. And the orange panels look perfect. Would you mind sharing how you accomplished the subtle fades?

Edited by markmcguire25
sp

1 hour ago, markmcguire25 said:

Great looking build. And the orange panels look perfect. Would you mind sharing how you accomplished the subtle fades?

hi Mark,

Sure, no problem. I sprayed the areas that needed to be orange with white primer and sanded it with micromesh pads until it was very smooth, then repeated the process with yellow paint. I then simply sprayed the orange very lightly over these areas, building up more layers on the underside, where, in real life, the sun doesn't bleach the paint as much.

It's actually really easy to do and the trick is the yellow paint, as this gives less contrast than orange to white.

Once sprayed, carefully use micromesh the dry paint to smooth everything off and even blend the fading a bit.

Hope this helps

Andy

• Thanks 2

Brilliant T-33!

I have built a JASFD plane also, in 1/72 scale (Hasegawa), and they are a colourful addition to any display.

A very beautiful aircraft in my opinion.

Masterful work!

:clap::goodjob:

Very very nice Andy! Will you bring this to Telford?

GWH made some "interesting" (i.e. strange) design choices, such as the gear doors and the egg shaped tyres, but it's certainly miles better than the "shorty" Academy/Hobbycraft kit! And I love the colourful Japanese T-33 schemes.

Just wondering, why did you choose International Orange and not a Dayglo orange?

Cheers!

J

Thanks all.

To answer your questions Jeffrey, the T-33 will be at Telford on the Asian Air Arms SIG display in hall 1.

I used International Orange over yellow paint as it matched the colour photos that I have in my books and those that I found on websites, particularly Akira's. I did try dayglo orange first but it looked too pink in hue.

After doing the work on the Starfighter book, I know the IO is almost red, but the MRP paint colour is as shown in the above pictures, incorrect of course to the true colour, but it looked more like the photos in the books and on the internet.

Hope this helps

Andy

• Like 1