Gladiator shadow shading?

SoftScience

I picked up Airfix's latest rebix of the Gloster Gladiator and it has a paint option for no. 615 sqn plane with two shades of DE/DG on it. I found photos of 615 gladiators and do not see evidence of this painting style. Is this one particular interpretation of a photograph or is there documentation to support this type of camouflage?

6 hours ago, SoftScience said:

I picked up Airfix's latest rebix of the Gloster Gladiator and it has a paint option for no. 615 sqn plane with two shades of DE/DG on it. I found photos of 615 gladiators and do not see evidence of this painting style. Is this one particular interpretation of a photograph or is there documentation to support this type of camouflage?

Not two shades of DE/DG, but DE/DG and LG/LE. Shadow shading was standard for biplanes both in the RAF and FAA. But often reduced to one set of colours when repainted.

Nils

• Like 2

I've seen it said recently that the shadow shading was not part of the original camouflage plans, and certainly there seems to be little sign of it on some of the immediate post-Munich repaints.  However it is equally clear that this was visible on at least one 615 Sq aircraft in May 1940.  So it is possible that the squadron had aircraft in different schemes, possibly even at the same time.

Did anyone else see this comment?

13 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Could be it is based on the third picture of this post:

Cheers,

Stew

I see it on Aircraft HP-B in the photos of that thread, but I'm not convinced im seeing it on aircraft KW-T (which is what Airfix's decals represent). There's certainly some overpainted mess on the fuselage sides, though. :)

All Mk.II Gladiators came from the factory painted originally in the 'shadow shading scheme'.

Some Mk.IIs were later repainted, also Mk.I Gladiators were often not in the scheme.

So you need to check photos of the airframe you are going to model.

And look closely as it can be hard to pick up due to wear etc. Many profiles over the years have inaccurately omitted the scheme where the real airframe had it.

3 hours ago, MilneBay said:

Shadow shading is a very difficult thing to actually paint. I did the 1/48 Roden Gladiator in it and when combined with the B/W undersides it was an exercise in expletives and perseverance.

Yeah, looks to be a right pain in the butt, and I don't like the look of it. Time to hunt down alternative decals :D

• 1 month later...