1/72 Tamiya F4U-1 Birdcage 'Gus's Gopher'

Have been on a bit of a Corsair spree this year, building all three of Tamiya's stupendous 1/72 kits (and one FAA one too). This is my first attempt at a Birdcage, my least favorite aesthetically wise but I actually loved how this model came out, more than the others. The aircraft represents Gus's Gopher, flown by 1st Lt Wilbur J Thomas of VMF-213 at Guadalcanal.

I used AK Real Colors for the M-485 blue' gray and M-495 light gray paints of early war USN aircraft. I think M-485 is too light, looks great for a faded aircraft though and since most aircraft faded considerably in the Pacific sun, I think it is spot on, but you probably will want to darken it up for a newly painted bird or for repainted patches. M-495 looks accurate too although this one is clearly unfaded.

Decals are from a Skymodels decal set, with stencils from the kit's decals.

No issues whatsoever with the kit, it is a joy to build.

Weathering included a Humbrol panel wash, some oil streaking, pastels for exhaust stains, and some other oil paint for dirtying as well as the cowling oil stains.

Thanks for looking!

bmRtMIx.jpg

5FnaKAR.jpg

UeTiZGp.jpg

KYDfNqr.jpg

Edited by Phantome
  • Like 36

That is a very, very, very nice Birdcage! However, one small suggestion to take this already outstanding build to the next level- unless the prop was recently replaced or the national insignia repainted, I would suggest scuffing the former, especially on the back side of the blades, and fading the latter. Coral dust played hell with props and leading edges and the sun played hell with the topsides.

Mike