1:72d Fujimi Fighting Cock F-4K

44 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

Pin it, that's the best way to make sure that it stays on!

Gondor

Thanks, any hints on how I might do that? Not something I've ever tried before...

Al

To pin two parts together you need a small stiff wire, a paperclip will do, and a small drill to make a hole just big enough for the wire to go into.

Very, very carefully drill a hole into the tailplane where the tab snapped off. the angle that the hole goes into the tailplane is only critical to stop you makeing the hole come out of the top or bottom of the tailplane surface, otherwise it should not be a problem.

Fit one end of the wire into the hole then position the part and wire against the model so you can mark where to drill the hole for the other end of the wire.

Use the diagram in the instructions for the kit to get the angle correct when you bend a small length of wire, roughly 1cm in total length.

Test fit to make sure everything looks ok befor you apply glue, superglue is probably best although epoxy works well and will give you 'adjustment' time.

And that is roughly how to do it

Gondor

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

To pin two parts together you need a small stiff wire, a paperclip will do, and a small drill to make a hole just big enough for the wire to go into.

Very, very carefully drill a hole into the tailplane where the tab snapped off. the angle that the hole goes into the tailplane is only critical to stop you makeing the hole come out of the top or bottom of the tailplane surface, otherwise it should not be a problem.

Fit one end of the wire into the hole then position the part and wire against the model so you can mark where to drill the hole for the other end of the wire.

Use the diagram in the instructions for the kit to get the angle correct when you bend a small length of wire, roughly 1cm in total length.

Test fit to make sure everything looks ok befor you apply glue, superglue is probably best although epoxy works well and will give you 'adjustment' time.

And that is roughly how to do it

Gondor

Presume we're talking about a hand held modelling drill of some sort? Any recommendations? 

10 hours ago, alhenderson said:

Presume we're talking about a hand held modelling drill of some sort? Any recommendations? 

I have no recommendations to give you as everyone has their own preferences. There are however two different types of handheld drill handles that we are talking about. The conventional body type where the person using the drill turns the whole drill so that the drill bit cuts and the Archimedes Drill.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11Pcs-Double-Mouth-Handheld-Hand-Drill-Bit-Pin-Vice-Chuck-Twist-Drill-Bits-Tool-/192754892833

The Archimedes Drill has a spindle that moves along a helical grove in the drill and an end that rotates freely. The spindle moving along the grove allows the drill to turn while the free end and spindle are held in one hand and do not need to turn.

https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d02331/mini-archimedes-drill/dp/TL15768?mckv=sy83xVmL8_dc|pcrid|224686838591|kword||match||plid||slid||product|TL15768|pgrid|45804914126|ptaid|pla-370407927965|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&gclid=CjwKCAjwmKLzBRBeEiwACCVihrLS71jUOMrvA6-ILwP1dgajOp0RU76v286OtuuRwhPrJkuzRSQdzxoCNPMQAvD_BwE

The first item is the type I have and use, don't let that sway you though. Some tools can be better for one type of job than others and it is always what works best, and that you are comfortable using.

I would like to think that most hobby shops will stock at least one type of mini drill as well as online shops.

Hope this helps

Gondor

• Like 1

Got myself a vice drill and a paper clip which I think will do. Would be a bit more comfortable with something smaller, but don't have such a thing.

Have practiced drilling into sprue, which has gone OK. Can I now translate that into the real thing without making matters even worse?

Pinning...

Watch this space!!

Al

• Like 5

Nearly there with the pinning of the tailplane. I'm using a paper clip for the pin, all I can find of the appropriate size. My problem is getting it down to size. Initially used the pliers in my toolbox which got me close, but it's still a couple of mm too long.

Any thoughts on how I can trim it down further? It's too small for me to hold and sand, and the paper clip is pretty hard metal so not that easy to sand. I'm reluctant to push my luck with the drill and try to make the holes any bigger. 

Any words of wisdom out there?

Al.

4 minutes ago, alhenderson said:

Nearly there with the pinning of the tailplane. I'm using a paper clip for the pin, all I can find of the appropriate size. My problem is getting it down to size. Initially used the pliers in my toolbox which got me close, but it's still a couple of mm too long.

Any thoughts on how I can trim it down further? It's too small for me to hold and sand, and the paper clip is pretty hard metal so not that easy to sand. I'm reluctant to push my luck with the drill and try to make the holes any bigger. 

Any words of wisdom out there?

Al.

Remember that one end will be going into the rear of the fuselage where there is space.

As long as you have enough of the pin outside the fuselage to go into the tailplane, includeing a little space for glue, the rest can go into the aircraft.

Gondor

11 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

Remember that one end will be going into the rear of the fuselage where there is space.

As long as you have enough of the pin outside the fuselage to go into the tailplane, includeing a little space for glue, the rest can go into the aircraft.

Gondor

There isn't space in the fuselage, the tab for the tailplane is still in the slot, so I've drilled into that. I had thought it might come loose but it hasn't...

Al

Hopefully this is my last WIP post.  Pinning of the tailplane complete, not bad for a first attempt.  The angle's not quite right, needed to bend the paperclip that I had used to get a better angle, but found that impossible to do with such a small section of it.  Not sure paperclip was the best choice - too rigid.  Something a little more flexible would have been good, but it was all I could lay my hands on in these times of lockdown!  Anyway, two drop tanks to go and we're there 🎉  Look for an RFI post in the coming days (in case I break something else, of course!

Al.

Pinned

• Like 2

OK, I said no more updates, but couldn't resist this one!  Daughter is busy making an Anderson Shelter as part of her WW2 home work, seems its a perfect size for my Phantom 🙂 

Anderson Shelter

• Like 3