• Anything But Injection
    • MTO GB III
    • North American Aviation
    • Yanks Abroad
    • Stranger In Town
    • Chopper / Helicopter / Autogyro / STOVL GB
    • In The Navy

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/11/19 at 23:59

Now that the nice naff and trivia is all done, surely ( yes I did call you Shirley) it’s time to vote for “Best worst Joke”.  

We need to keep @trickyrich‘s spreadsheet ticking over. 

I want to nominate @JOCKNEY with this beauty 

Why do scuba divers fall backwards off of the boat?

Because if they fell forward, they'd still be on the boat.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

@Enzo Matrix did mention he had a "cunning plan " for the ones that just missed out in the Poll.

Is he ready to reveal it yet ?

See post 574 in this thread.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Here is the official Groupbuild calendar for 2020.

I have included the final GB of this year as most of it runs through into 2020.

spacer.png

see now the spreadsheet is in order!!! :yahoo:

..........only that odd gap has moved from September to March!!! :blink:   Dam OCD!!!

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Now that the nice naff and trivia is all done, surely ( yes I did call you Shirley) it’s time to vote for “Best worst Joke”.  

We need to keep @trickyrich‘s spreadsheet ticking over. 

I want to nominate @JOCKNEY with this beauty 

Why do scuba divers fall backwards off of the boat?

Because if they fell forward, they'd still be on the boat.

God what am I going to do now with all my spare time????   Guess i may have to build models again!! :D

• Haha 3

Arrrr order in the universe has been achieved!  

All hail the god of spreadsheets!!  :worthy:

The truth and path of next years builds has been laid out before me.........

2020%20GB%20Builds-XL.jpg

..... now I just have to complete them!!

The scary thing is all but 2 are greater than 1/35th or bigger!! :wacko:

EDIT....opps the god of fat finger stuffed up the first sheet! :D

• Like 2

Sorry missed the grab for dates! But glad to see I got the one I wanted! Right over my birthday 👍🏻.

thanks to everyone for the bad jokes and great votes! Can’t believe in the navy ended with 93, that’s flipping nuts!

cheers @Enzo Matrix for keeping it as organised as possible (especially considering the clientele) 

Rob

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Apparently this one:

In all the excitement I seem to have missed that one.  I can only apologise.   It will now get an aiutomatic entry into the bunfight in November 2020.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Arrrr order in the universe has been achieved!  

All hail the god of spreadsheets!!  :worthy:

The truth and path of next years builds has been laid out before me.........

2020%20GB%20Builds-XL.jpg

..... now I just have to complete them!!

The scary thing is all but 2 are greater than 1/35th or bigger!! :wacko:

EDIT....opps the god of fat finger stuffed up the first sheet! :D

So tou are not interested in a build of the Mirage IV from Heller in 1/48? 😉

Cheers,

1 hour ago, Arniec said:

So tou are not interested in a build of the Mirage IV from Heller in 1/48? 😉

Cheers,

has one seen the build list before it? :yikes:

1/35th, 1/48th, 1/35th, 1/32nd Resin Conv., 1/32nd, 1/32nd resin....plus throw in a Tiger Meet scheme plus a splinter scheme!  Plus just after all that a wee 1/48th MiG-31! + Hosting 2!

Dear god what have I gotten myself in to/committed to!............. i probably should be committed! 

Think I need a nice lie down until January.

The problem with the Mirage is it has raised panel lines.......I have thought about it before! :D

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

has one seen the build list before it? :yikes:

1/35th, 1/48th, 1/35th, 1/32nd Resin Conv., 1/32nd, 1/32nd resin....plus throw in a Tiger Meet scheme plus a splinter scheme!  Plus just after all that a wee 1/48th MiG-31! + Hosting 2!

Dear god what have I gotten myself in to/committed to!............. i probably should be committed! 

Think I need a nice lie down until January.

The problem with the Mirage is it has raised panel lines.......I have thought about it before! :D

well you are so talented that a few raised panel lines won't be difficult for you.😉🙃

Cheers, 

Well done to the GBs that got a place in next year's calendar ! I will sure try to join a few of them. Really I have kits in the stash for all of them, but with my bad track record in completing models for GBs I'd better not commit too much..

I am of course disappointed that none of my two proposals went through, I was hoping for some more success but as both only reached the minimum number very near to the deadline should have been an indication of the relatively little interest they raised

I'm also disappointed that the Small Wars GB didn't make it, as would have been a very interesting chance to build something unusual and I have similar feelings about the British AFVs GB.

Guess that in the end there's a reason why certain subjects are more popular than others and this is reflected in the outcome of the poll: all the GBs that went through are very interesting, but several of them have been done before on this same forum. Not meaning to say that they are less interesting, on the contrary if these repetedly get more votes it simply means that in the end the subjects we associate with such GBs are more popular than those involved by other proposals.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Well done to the GBs that got a place in next year's calendar ! I will sure try to join a few of them. Really I have kits in the stash for all of them, but with my bad track record in completing models for GBs I'd better not commit too much..

I am of course disappointed that none of my two proposals went through, I was hoping for some more success but as both only reached the minimum number very near to the deadline should have been an indication of the relatively little interest they raised

I'm also disappointed that the Small Wars GB didn't make it, as would have been a very interesting chance to build something unusual and I have similar feelings about the British AFVs GB.

Guess that in the end there's a reason why certain subjects are more popular than others and this is reflected in the outcome of the poll: all the GBs that went through are very interesting, but several of them have been done before on this same forum. Not meaning to say that they are less interesting, on the contrary if these repetedly get more votes it simply means that in the end the subjects we associate with such GBs are more popular than those involved by other proposals.

I agree with you whole heartedly Giorgio, there were some really interesting and new ideas in the poll. Unfortunately there does seem to be quite a few "II's" and "III's" becoming more frequent in the GB's and STGB's and some of the more interesting and unique GB/STGB ideas get lost in the rush to build the same old same old again....almost year after year!

I know I am to blame for a couple attempts for a "II" GB after that one was so popular, but I also do try and come up with different and new ideas for GB's....which for the most part has a 50:50 success ratio. The Scandinavian GB was something new that was very inclusive...the Vietnam BG, it had been done before but only for the "Vietnam War" period. I didcidid this time to open it up to the period before that and after to a modern Vietnam.

But I do think there needs to be a time limit on re-hashing a GB again. I don't know how but there should almost be some additional weighting for some of these more unusual/interesting/and new idea GB's.

There will alway be people happy to build their fav builds year after year, but to keep the GB/STGB fresh and exciting we really do need to start to accept new and interesting ideas.......to step out of our comfort zone/comfortable builds mentality. New and different can actually be good for you!!

Ok I'll get off my soap box now....see this is what happens after a few weeks of bad jokes...I get serious......think I have to get back to my comfortable spreadsheets! :D

• Like 2

Firstly many thanks to the organizers of the GB poll etc. It was mentioned some while back that due to calendar changes the relative timings of the STGBs would be looked at, however it does seem that the majority of them appear in the first half of the year (7/3). I had expressed interest in several of them but with the compressed timings and indeed substantial overlaps, in fact the first three (P-51, Ju87 and Lancaster) overlap, It looks like I will have to ditch involvement in quite a few of them.

I followed the voting with interest and voted for three GBs I was interested in of which only one made it (Scandinavia). Unfortunately this GB is running parallel with the Ju 87 STGB so that is a no go for me as well :( But at the end there is a nice mix for next year.

A little observation in regards to the votes. in 2016, 321 member voted - 2017 225 members and 2019 178 members (no voting occurred in 2018).

Personally I feel there are too many GBs and STGBs cramped into the year, making it somewhat less attractive. Yes I am aware that we all can choose the GBs we like to participate in, but some of the GBs end up with not too many participants which is a bit of a shame.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

But I do think there needs to be a time limit on re-hashing a GB again.

Rich I was thinking exactly the same thing. There are the same types that get proposed for the STGB's as well as some of the GB's being on II's and III's and think we need to get some of the more unusual ones across the line as whenever they do make it people find that there are subjects that they enjoy building and researching that they might not have looked at before. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Rich I was thinking exactly the same thing. There are the same types that get proposed for the STGB's as well as some of the GB's being on II's and III's and think we need to get some of the more unusual ones across the line as whenever they do make it people find that there are subjects that they enjoy building and researching that they might not have looked at before. 

I've just proposed French Fancy 2 (as you know, you've signed up for it), if it goes through there will be a six year gap between the first and second iterations, I think that's a reasonable gap between the two.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Wez said:

I've just proposed French Fancy 2 (as you know, you've signed up for it), if it goes through there will be a six year gap between the first and second iterations, I think that's a reasonable gap between the two.

I think that is perfectly adequate as a gap between repeat GB's and was thinking of around 5 years as a rough figure to work with.

55 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I think that is perfectly adequate as a gap between repeat GB's and was thinking of around 5 years as a rough figure to work with.

I agree - although I think this is more of a problem for STGBs than normal GBs. There's probably always going to be a tendency towards repetition in STGBs, after all they require a single type to be popular, but it would be nice to avoid them repeating too often. Looking at the ten STGBs in the 2020 calendar, six are repeats, of which two would be ruled out by a 5 year rule. That seems ok to me.

• Like 1

@zebra I agree with you that STGB's are by far the bigger culprits of this but the GB's are also to blame, there are 3 repeaters in next years schedule. I think that this is something that our esteemed moerator ( @Enzo Matrix ) would need to be involved in and may need us to have some kind of vote on, though personally I would be happy to accept his judgement.

I believe that this could be a really good thing and could get some of us out of modelling ruts and repeating ourselves, which might encourage more members to return to the GB section as we seem to be in an ever decreasing circle of participation.