1/48, 1/72 & 1/32 - Hawker Siddeley HS.748 & HS.780 Andover by One Man Model (3D printed models) - HS.748 & HS.780 Andover C.1 released

Homebee

Looks very nice, but now decals/markings are an issue. I would like to build a Queen's Flight Andover CC.2, but need decals!   S&M make 1/72 decals for a Queens Flight aircraft but their cheatline is the wrong colour.  I would also built an Avro 748 is the first operator - " Skyways of London" but still need decals!

On 18 December 2019 at 2:29 PM, AMB said:

Looks very nice, but now decals/markings are an issue. I would like to build a Queen's Flight Andover CC.2, but need decals!   S&M make 1/72 decals for a Queens Flight aircraft but their cheatline is the wrong colour.  I would also built an Avro 748 is the first operator - " Skyways of London" but still need decals!

One of my unstarted projects is to build one of the Skyways Coach Air Avro 748s, G-ARMX was the first aircraft I flew on in 1964 on a school trip to Paris.  I have the 1/72 Rugrat kit, which will probably be used as the basis for an AEW 748 as it doesn't have the refinement I am looking for. I also have the 1/72 S&M Kit but finding decals was a problem. 26 decals used to do a 1/144 set of laser printed Skyways decals, and they very kindly printed me a resized sheet at 1/72 scale, but as of October they no longer do these.  The biggest challenge has been trying to match the turqoise/light blue colour of the main Fuselage stripe; No one seems to have an accurate specification and the colour varies between published photos. Oxford diecasts, I think, produced a vehicle in Skyways colours which I have been tempted to get to use as a reference, but again it may only be their interpretation of the colour.  At some point I might contact them to find out their source data.  I managed to get a small book - Skyways at Lympne by Dick Gilbert - who worked in the Operations Department but he was unable to confirm exactly what the colour was.  I have ordered the one man models 1/48 kit so at some point I will have to go for a bestguess match.  Somewhere I also have a 1/200 resin kit with Skyways decals which I must find to compare the colours with.

Peter

Edited by dambuster

On 12/19/2019 at 7:39 PM, dambuster said:

One of my unstarted projects is to build one of the Skyways Coach Air Avro 748s, G-ARMX was the first aircraft I flew on in 1964 on a school trip to Paris.  I have the 1/72 Rugrat kit, which will probably be used as the basis for an AEW 748 as it doesn't have the refinement I am looking for. I also have the 1/72 S&M Kit but finding decals was a problem. 26 decals used to do a 1/144 set of laser printed Skyways decals, and they very kindly printed me a resized sheet at 1/72 scale, but as of October they no longer do these.  The biggest challenge has been trying to match the turqoise/light blue colour of the main Fuselage stripe; No one seems to have an accurate specification and the colour varies between published photos. Oxford diecasts, I think, produced a vehicle in Skyways colours which I have been tempted to get to use as a reference, but again it may only be their interpretation of the colour.  At some point I might contact them to find out their source data.  I managed to get a small book - Skyways at Lympne by Dick Gilbert - who worked in the Operations Department but he was unable to confirm exactly what the colour was.  I have ordered the one man models 1/48 kit so at some point I will have to go for a bestguess match.  Somewhere I also have a 1/200 resin kit with Skyways decals which I must find to compare the colours with.

Peter

Peter,

I did the research for that Oxford Diecast Minibus with the DC-3 on the roof, based on a colour photo, so you can take that as accurate......but Skyways cheatline/tail colour did vary between two colours - a pale blue cheatline on its Yorks and DC-3s, but changed to a pale green for its Avro 748s. The 748s were always the latter colour and I have good colour slides of G-ARMV at Farnborough in 1961 in that scheme.

I received my Ebay pre-ordered 1/72 scale kit last week. While pondering how to tackle this new to me medium, I received a new nose section yesterday. The original upper and lower forward nose section has been re-designed into a single piece .... and shipped out free. Great customer service!  :thumbsup:

:thanks:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/25/2019 at 4:23 AM, Aerobat said:

I received my Ebay pre-ordered 1/72 scale kit last week.

Will you be doing a build or review at all? Would love to see how these kits come and how they build.

Srongly interested in the Andover C.1 when that comes along.

Edited by 71chally

A recap: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1196774510518878&id=100005590215920

I made HS748 pages on the Mercari for Japanese buyers. But in the future, when I get enough sales among Western countries, I will stop selling in Japan except for very few direct sales.
1/72 https://www.mercari.com/jp/mypage/items/m91188467962/
1/48 https://www.mercari.com/jp/mypage/items/m45129535953/

83708901-1196774277185568-29779538771999

V.P.

• Like 1