Interior colours for Nakajima Type 99 Lily?

Graham Boak

Graham,

If you can find or have a mate who has the Maru Mechanic #2 on the Ki-100 and K-48, or #16 on the Ki-48, there should be some color cockpit/interior drawings. The April 18, 2013 installment on the Aviation of Japan website has kit reviews, interior/exterior color callouts, and color chips for the interior colors. That's about the best I can do for you, Graham, from the references i have. Not sure I can attach the link to that blog without violating BM or Aviation of  Japan policy.

Mike

JAAF planes after 1942-43 usually used variants of "cockpit green", but planes before late-ish 1942 usually used a dull middle blue colour.   An RAF report on a shot down Ki-21 early in the war said the interior was a gloomy blue-grey.   Some Japanese books show Ki-48 interiors in blue but most are shown green. 

"Japanese Aircraft Interiors - 1940-1945" by Robert C. Mikesh, 2000 says "A positive color sample is not available. There is an auxiliary panel in a private collection believed to have been taken from a "Lily", and this compares to Munsell 7.5y 3/2. No Federal Standard sample is similar. This color is represented by A/N.32. The closest Pantone color is 5747C, but the Munsell comparison is dustier, ie. a softer gray tone. Since this panel is a sub-component, its color may have been different from that of the overall interior, but can be assumed to have been relatively close. One source recalling from memory referred to the interior as dark bluish-gray."

According to Hasegawa the mix is, using Gunze Sangyo Aqueous, (4)40%+(6)30%+(7)30%   4=yellow, 6=green, 7=brown, If I recall correctly, although I seem to have deleted the email,  according to Nick Millman the interior is painted in a dark blue greyish, which is how I painted mine (which I need to finish some day)

Edited by nsmekanik