Italeri F-100F IT1398

Whirly

Hello, I'm currently building the Italeri 1/72 F-100F and realy struggling to find images of one of the decal options. I was specifically attracted by this colour scheme:

22907_4-0009018.jpg

The only references I found are this image from wikipedia...

F-100f-56-3888-79tfs-rafw.jpg

...and this artwork from the squadron book 'F-100 Super Sabre in Color'.

3_20.jpg

First I wonder why Italeri locates it in Lybia. Could it be a temporary re-deployment from Woodbrige?

Then I would like to know where FW-893 did come from: I think the decal artist must have been inspired by some image or (hope not...) a profile artwork but can't really find anything.

Finally, it seems that I will need to add a very thin black trim to the yellow flashes that Italeri forgot 🤬

32445205126_457da13de5_b.jpg

Ok, it won't be easy and my enthusiasm is somewhat vanishing so I want at least a reassurement that I'm trying to reproduce as best as I can a REAL subject!

Thanks for your help

• Like 1

Hi @Whirly, be sure to correct the canopy. Italeri got it wrong in the framing. You will need to sand out the central frame and polish the canopy or buy a vac form, as I did. Also the heels in the Italeri are grossly inaccurate. Get some resins :)

Good luck!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

6 hours ago, Whirly said:

First I wonder why Italeri locates it in Lybia. Could it be a temporary re-deployment from Woodbrige?

Because it would have been photographed at some point at Wheelus (now Mitiga) while on Gunnery practice.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

F-100F Serial Number 56-3893 sure served with 20th TFW from Woodbridge and I've seen pictures of this machine in a later scheme, for example this one:

http://www.f-100.org/pages/f-100f_63893.shtml

The problem is that I have no proof that she was with 20th TFW in 1960 as Italeri suggests... she was with 48th TFW in 1961, so it could be that Italeri is wrong...

In any case I'll do some more searching on this, I may find a definite answer.

Regarding Lybia, here Italeri is most probably right: in the late '50s and into the '60s all USAFE units used to deploy for training at Wheelus AB, a former Italian and Luftwaffe field not far from Tripoli that had been turned into a major USAF base. For a while Wheelus also hosted the Super Sabre of 7272 FTW, that carried some of the most interesting markings seen on the type.

• Like 1

No decal sheets for a 79th FS 20th FG F-100 that I know of, but there are are decal sheets for the other two squadrons of the 20th. Seems like most of the photos I have seen are also of the Huns of the other two squadrons in the wing.

Mike

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

be sure to correct the canopy. Italeri got it wrong in the framing. You will need to sand out the central frame and polish the canopy

Please enlighten us more Martin

@Wez Italeri added one too many frames on the canopy. It needs to be sanded off and polished out. The canopy is also not too accurate in shape. When I have more time I post more. I used a vac form for my F-model a couple of years ago. 

Martin

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

@Wez Italeri added one too many frames on the canopy. It needs to be sanded off and polished out. The canopy is also not too accurate in shape. When I have more time I post more. I used a vac form for my F-model a couple of years ago. 

Martin

Thanks Martin, is the Italeri kit the same as the AMT kit?  I have a couple of those in the stash but I have to confess, it's been a mighty long time since I've looked at them let alone cast a critical eye over them.

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Martin

You're thinking of the single seater D, which does have a frame on the canopy that shouldn't be there. The one in the F kit is correct. It does have a frame on the canopy, but as can clearly be seen on the very first photo posted above, it should be there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creepy Pete said:

You're thinking of the single seater D, which does have a frame on the canopy that shouldn't be there. The one in the F kit is correct. It does have a frame on the canopy, but as can clearly be seen on the very first photo posted above, it should be there.

I can't tell for the D, however now that it has been remarked I think the central frame is not in the right place. This is an Italeri kit, apparently built out of the box (the canopy is like the one in my kit) and are quite evident the wrong proportions of the front and rear transparent sections compared to the real one.

This seems to be a quirk inherited from the AMT/ERTL kit: https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/amt/build_amt_8892.shtml

01.jpg

f100f-super-sabre.jpg

2 hours ago, Wez said:

Thanks Martin, is the Italeri kit the same as the AMT kit?  I have a couple of those in the stash but I have to confess, it's been a mighty long time since I've looked at them let alone cast a critical eye over them.

Well, not! Aside from the canopy, I compared an original ESCI F-100D with the Italeri kit and the only conclusion I can draw is that the later one must be a 'reworked' copy of the ESCI mould. The main parts are exactly identical (excluding the front fuselage), even with the same panel line errors, but lack the finesse of the original ESCI moulds cut in Korea. All the smaller parts though are completely different with a 'cluncky' feel, while the main wheels are oversized and only similar to the original one.

4 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

F-100F Serial Number 56-3893 sure served with 20th TFW from Woodbridge and I've seen pictures of this machine in a later scheme, for example this one:

http://www.f-100.org/pages/f-100f_63893.shtml

The problem is that I have no proof that she was with 20th TFW in 1960 as Italeri suggests... she was with 48th TFW in 1961, so it could be that Italeri is wrong...

In any case I'll do some more searching on this, I may find a definite answer.

Regarding Lybia, here Italeri is most probably right: in the late '50s and into the '60s all USAFE units used to deploy for training at Wheelus AB, a former Italian and Luftwaffe field not far from Tripoli that had been turned into a major USAF base. For a while Wheelus also hosted the Super Sabre of 7272 FTW, that carried some of the most interesting markings seen on the type.

Hi Giorgio, we found the same trail and I have a real fear that Italeri got it wrong, wouldn't be surprised...

Thank you all for explaining the use of Wheelus AB, didn't know about this piece of history.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Whirly said:

Hi Giorgio, we found the same trail and I have a real fear that Italeri got it wrong, wouldn't be surprised...

Thank you all for explaining the use of Wheelus AB, didn't know about this piece of history.

Wouldn't be the first time Italeri got something wrong in their decal sheets...

In any case, replacing the serial number and buzz number with those for 56-3888 wouldn't be too difficult if you want an aircraft with those markings, just need to print some black decals.. let me know and if interested I can sort this for you

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

Ah, stupid me! You are, of course, correct. The canopy on the F is still inaccurate in shape though......

Martin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whirly said:

I think the central frame is not in the right place.

Quite right. I'd use a Vac form....

To be honest I wasnt best pleased with this build. Even so you can clearly see the correct canopy shape of the vac form.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

10 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Wouldn't be the first time Italeri got something wrong in their decal sheets...

In any case, replacing the serial number and buzz number with those for 56-3888 wouldn't be too difficult if you want an aircraft with those markings, just need to print some black decals.. let me know and if interested I can sort this for you

Hi Giorgio, I was thinking along the same lines: since I have to print the thin black lines delimiting the yellow flashes I can do the full job and change the serial with a known subject. Thank you for your very kind offer anyway!

9 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

To be honest I wasnt best pleased with this build. Even so you can clearly see the correct canopy shape of the vac form.

Martin

Hi Martin, you did a great job with your Turkish Super Sabre! My build is actually a first test just for the nice paint scheme, then I will build another one with a more involved effort.

By the way, as we were talking about Italeri colour schemes accuracy, look at the year  :blink:

22907_5-0009019.jpg

Perhaps they meant 1960 ?

2 hours ago, Whirly said:

Hi Martin, you did a great job with your Turkish Super Sabre! My build is actually a first test just for the nice paint scheme, then I will build another one with a more involved effort.

By the way, as we were talking about Italeri colour schemes accuracy, look at the year  :blink:

22907_5-0009019.jpg

You would be right, mate ;)

Martin

PS - sorry about the bum steer on the canopy! :(