Douglas Boston III - Airfix 1/72

This is the ancient Airfix kit (1963) so pretty basic - but reasonably accurate in outline.

It was from a 2008 boxing so the decals looked OK. However, I chose to use an Xtradecal set which included an 88 Squadron Boston based at RAF Hartford Bridge (Blackbushe) in and around D-Day.
On D-Day itself, some of these Bostons were used to lay down smokescreens along the beach landing areas to try and hinder the German shore batteries. They were also used extensively before and after D-Day in the intensive bombing campaign waged against the German defenses and transport infrastructure.

The colour scheme depicts an 88 Squadron machine a few weeks after D-Day, by which time some of the invasion stripes had been oversprayed and the aircraft were beginning to look a bit tired due to the intensity of operations in the preceding month.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 40

Superb.  Such an important aircraft which is a little overshadowed by other types.  That's some great work on the invasion stripes.   They're something I really like by really hate doing!

I always paint them as I find large decals just don't fit and fold around the curves properly. On this occasion, the Xtradecal sheet didn't have any stripes anyway so I had to paint them. 

I was determined to do at least one D-Day relevant model this year.

I enjoy building some of these older kits. An awful lot of modern kits have overly complex interiors that simply can't be seen - especially in 1/72 scale. I think the attractiveness and challenge of a finished model is trying to ensure that the exterior paint scheme and finish looks as realistic as possible. I look on these models as a form of three dimensional canvass on which I can try out painting and finishing techniques and styles.

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Like 1

Nicely done , though the Airfix kit is a DB-7B Boston III and the 88 Sqn machine you have depicted is an A-20C Boston IIIA, different engine nacelles and exhaust and tropical intakes fitted, also ADF Antennas were fitted in 1943, hopefully if Airfix ever update the Boston they will include the 4 different engine nacelles/exhaust combinations done on the Boston III/IIIA ( std engine cowls with single exhaust , tropical cooling cowls with single exhaust , smooth cowls with multi exhaust out trailing edge and multipot exhaust engine cowls as also fitted to later A-20G/J), std and tropical intake. 

• Like 1

Looks great. I like the look of the Boston. That old Airfix kit was the one kit I wanted at the time. But never did acquire one. 

Edit: I idly checked for one online. Amazon have one in stock at a mere  2132 pounds. I ordered it immediately. 

Edited by noelh

£2,132?????

A bargain

It's actually not that rare a kit - depending on what boxing you want, of course. Mine was from 2008/09 and boxings from that era are fairly easilly obtainable. I think £10 would be a reasonable price.

5 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

£2,132?????

A bargain

It's actually not that rare a kit - depending on what boxing you want, of course. Mine was from 2008/09 and boxings from that era are fairly easilly obtainable. I think £10 would be a reasonable price.

I think it must be rare gold plated version or something. Kingkit has a couple for more sensible prices. 

Obviously that dreaded Amazon price glitch in action.