Douglas Cockatrice S.1

This is my entry into the What-if section of this Group Build, you could say I was somewhat inspired by @Kallisti ‘s various builds of American aircraft in FAA colours. Apologies if this is treading on your toes! I also happened to make a little Monogram 1/72 version of this aircraft when I was younger and not brave enough to adorn it with the yellow and black stripes. (That might give a hint of what I am going for).

In the mid 1940s Westland started development of a carrier strike aircraft, with an engine layout similar to that of the Bell P-39. This resulted in interest from the Air Ministry and official specification N.11/44. The prototype W.34 was powered by a Rolls Royce Eagle H-24 engine, which was later cancelled. The aircraft was then planned to be powered by either a Rolls-Royce Clyde or Armstrong Siddeley Python. The Clyde was later cancelled but the airframe was planned to be fitted with a Napier Nomad, which was also then cancelled. Hopes rested on the Python to power the aircraft.

(This where we differ from reality)

After protracted development of the costly Python turboprop, the Wyvern was coming in over budget. The first prototype of which flew in 1949 and needed many modifications. The then Labour government had major economic issues to contend with and was looking in to all ways and means of cost cutting. This resulted in a defence white paper of 1950, in which Minister of Defence Emanuel Shinwell advocated the cancellation of Westland W.34 in favour of a cheaper, more versatile aircraft. The logic being that a Strike fighter was unnecessary with superior jet aircraft coming into play, Sea Hawk etc. It was decided, to the chagrin of the FAA, that the more conventional multi seat Douglas Skyraider AD-5 aircraft would be purchased to fill the gap of the cancelled Wyvern. This would be able to fulfil the role of a Strike aircraft, as well as that of COD. It’s wide fuselage meant that the aircraft had potential for further role changes in the future.

Therefore, an order was placed and all squadrons that the Wyvern was intended for were equipped with the Skyraider AD-5. In keeping with the naming of other strike aircraft being named after mythical beasts, the Skyraider was dubbed the 'Cockatrice' in FAA service. The only differences being that this aircraft had the capacity to carry a torpedo and unguided rockets. This aircraft served well into the 1960s and served with a degree of success during Operation Musketeer in Suez.

Along these lines the Whif model I shall be exhibiting will be a FAA ‘Cockatrice’ of 827 Naval Air Squadron based aboard the HMS Eagle during the Suez crisis. This shall be modelled using the Revell/Matchbox 1/48 Skyraider and using decals for the 1/48 Wyvern from Berna Decals. This shall of course be in that classic EDSG over Sky, with Yellow and Black Invasion stripes.

48902801141_e19279afc9.jpg

48902999187_a22b8cf4fe_b.jpg

I shall start on this as soon as I finish my P-40 STGB commitment… I am very much looking forward to it :)

Cheers,

Ash

Edited by Doccur
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Made a start on this one. Just completed the cockpit. Detail is very sparse so I’m going to put the crew inside just to make it look a little busier. Just painted it all black and picked a few details out in various colours. Decals were supplied for the instrument panels but were just black and white so they looked a bit pointless to be honest.

49034294481_a2e473d801_b.jpg

49033794873_d65f9f54a0_b.jpg

Cheers,

Ash

• Like 5

On 11/11/2019 at 00:02, Colin W said:

Interesting idea. Since the Skyraider flew with the FAA in Suez why not paint it in the same dark navy blue scheme?

Colin 

That is a great idea ... unfortunately the decals I have bought only have black serials, which won’t show up at all against a gloss sea blue. 

More progress:

49081357661_46ecf353af_b.jpg

I have got the main bits together. Panel lines have also been rescribed on the wings. Having done a test fit of wings to fuselage, a fair bit of filler is going to be needed 🤦🏻‍♂️ This kit really is classic matchbox... soft detail and soft fit. I’m going to try and enjoy this build, but it’s proving a challenge 😂

Cheers

Ash

• Like 3

Hi all,

most of my efforts have been focussed on rescribing the fuselage, something which I have never done before, and overall I am happy with the result. Clearly you won’t be able to see the results until the paint goes on! The fit of wings to fuselage wasn’t great as you can see here: 

49117198168_2fa6836b7c_b.jpg

The engine went together well and is a fairly nice representation. I dry brushed this with metallic colours and applied a wash onto the lighter front of the engine:

49117902087_ffc7ee5a80_b.jpg

The canopy has just been masked and out onto the airframe:

49117902447_38b24f0f8c_b.jpg

The large frames made this the easiest canopy I’ve ever masked! Can’t wait to get some paint down on this..

Cheers

Ash

• Like 4

Moving ahead rapidly:

The Sky and EDSG have been brushed on with Xtraclylix thinned with W and N retarder. It’s a bit rough and ready but still plenty of touching up to do before I begin with the black and yellow stripes. 

49146328872_37d63ced32_b.jpg

Cheers

Ash

• Like 4

Quick update: painted on the yellow, next up the black stripes. A LOT of touching up to do... I didn’t realise how delicate Xtracylix were 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

49167792452_b9f18f0a06_b.jpg

Cheers 

Ash

• Like 3

Cheers @PeterB,

I used the old trick of sealing the masking with a coat of varnish. This can exacerbate the step between the two colours but fully worth it in my opinion to stop the paint running. 

Ash

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. 

Decals are on and I must say, the cockatrice is looking resplendent. All I have to do now is attach the ordnance, cannon barrels and little pitots. Maybe some light weathering is in order. 

49229764096_8c92ae2116_b.jpg 49229295593_ea4db600aa_b.jpg 49229295478_2394b11762_b.jpg 49229298043_23f72d9d0f_b.jpg

Cheers

Ash

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, and merry Christmas and happy new year to all my fellow Britmodellers! Hopefully Santa has brought you lots of plastic filled boxes to play with. :) 

Ash

Edited by Doccur
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...