This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Spookytooth

Scam alert....

Just a quick heads up folk.

This morning I had a call from my internet provider allegedly saying that my connection is  being cut off.

Strange one for most companies will state their name when calling, this one did not.

Instead, it went into the rigmarole of (Press One) etc.

Don`t do it, it`s an automatic billing set, you get stung for money, and you cannot get a refund, similar to the card dropped through you letterbox saying that they tried to deliver a parcel and please can you call this number to arrange another date and time. A £300.00 plus addition to your phone bill.

Simon.

If the phone companies know about these scams, why the BH can't they pull the plug on them?

BTW. Thanks for the warning Simon.

John.

3 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

If the phone companies know about these scams, why the BH can't they pull the plug on them?

BTW. Thanks for the warning Simon.

John.

No problem there John.

If you have caller display the number is 07899 635714 , I should of added that to the first post.

Simon.

Firstly, the scammers can fake phone numbers.

Secondly, most of these calls come from or via third countries, so they cannot be easily blocked like a UK number.

41 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

why the BH can't they pull the plug on them?

If it's anything like over here there's never anyone that can be bothered to answer the phone when someone phones up to report a problem,....On Sunday i bought a top up for my phone when i tried i got a message saying there was an issue please try again (several hours) later i phoned their helpline,10 mins later i get through to be told that there's nothing can be done on Sunday so somebody would phone on Monday.....Yesterday morning phone rings and i get "this is an automated message from said phone company",please press blah blah blah,mutter grumble FORGET IT YOU CLOWNS.....

On the subject of scam calls and text messages from hijacked phone numbers many moons ago I received a scam text from100.In the UK this is the number for Operator Services.I fail to recall the content but it wasn't related to Orange,my mobile phone provider of choice who also did something similar to Operator Services using the same number.

Nowadays Orange has been absorbed by EE.This stands for Everything Everywhere according to the call centre bod who gave me a go a couple of years ago.My handset is on Pay As You Go and if I need to know how much credit I have available at 10:30 at night I've poo-poo out because the automated customer services for a balance enquiry closes at 20:00 and doesn't re-open until 07:00.

I'm not going to get onto the subject of the once reliable 80%signal that is so no longer despite the fact that my location and those of the relevant repeaters  haven't altered since they used to work adequately.

36 minutes ago, Alex Gordon said:

Nowadays Orange has been absorbed by EE

EE itself was taken over by BT in January 2016

27 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

EE itself was taken over by BT in January 2016

That might explain a few things.

I had an automated call from 'Amazon' about my Prime account which was strange as they do not call. The number was 01221 884387.

Regards

Robert

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:18 AM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Firstly, the scammers can fake phone numbers.

Secondly, most of these calls come from or via third countries, so they cannot be easily blocked like a UK number.

And thirdly many people still fall victim to these scams.

Tbh I get so hacked off with this nonsense that we screen all calls now and ignore anyone we don’t know. The auto response says if caller genuine they will have address. Post a letter and we will verify they are genuine becfore entering into any discussions. 

Its going to kill electronic communications such as telephone calls, email etc. if someone doesn’t get a grip on this. Come to think of it maybe removing the tyranny of business email is not a bad thing :hmmm:

We used to get a lot of calls  telling us that there was a problem with our internet, but that seem to have dried up recently.I heard an item on the radio yesterday saying that a gang of internet scammers had been arrested somewhere in the east,  so perhaps the authorities are starting to catch up with them,let’s hope so.

These things come and go in phases - sometimes we get none for weeks, then a slew of calls over a number of days...

....being a business, we have no option but to answer the phone every time it rings - I had eight calls in one day alone a few months ago, all an automated 'this is an urgent warning from your internet provider - your service is about to be terminated....'. The calls each came from a different number, which from the codes were anywhere and everywhere between Kent and Scotland...

....more recently, such calls have apparently been international numbers - and the recorded female voice has a distinct American twang whilst claiming to be from BT...

The above-referenced arrests were made in India, and was in connection with computer fraud - I received a few such calls some time ago, with Indian voices claiming to be from Microsoft and claiming that my computer had been compromised - Microsoft were, apparently, directly involved in the investigations and actions which have led to the arrests...

The simple rule of thumb is that if they are who they say they are, then they will know who you are, and address you by name from the outset - and if you're still not sure, you can double-check that they're genuine by asking them to verify some part of your information, such as an account number, or other contact details that they will have on file...

Slightly different tac, I've just received an email (allegedly) from a well known French bank informing me that there was a problem with my account and that it was in danger of being closed down. The difference with this one was although it's come through to me, it's addressed to someone else. I don't know if they think that the recipient will be more likely to open it seeing as it's not addressed to them. It got dumped down the metaphorical khazi.

John.

These Scam calls. Scam emails are getting ever more elaborate, we all need to be very vigilant these days ... I really feel for the old and vulnerable who keep getting caught up in these scams.

Have worked in IT and being an enthusiast in this area, you get to know when to smell a rat, but not everyone is this way inclined ... even my Sister, one of the most clever well educated persons I know is a bit of a naive dummy when it comes to confidence tricksters and the practicality of energy providers too, the amount of times she's been ripped off ... sigh.

Bentwaters is right, a lot of these scam calls are offshore (a term we used) not from UK or licensed UK call centres abroad by Legit UK companies, but by pure fly by night scam artists ... the numbers get disguised to look like UK numbers.

Security tech will catch up again slowly to counter them, but its a never ending battle against the crooks, we need to be careful and especially drum it into elderly, Family/Friends/Vunerable just how cruel some people can be cold calling you or emailing you ... it may sound harsh, but I would rather do that than risk not telling them and then seeing them get hit.

I had a Nigerian Professor offering me £1.5 million the other day. Unfortunately I deleted it. How can I get hold of him to accept his generous offer :shrug:

I have had the Amazon and the ISP phone calls, but calls are not as frequent as they used to be. I think they are going for the automated calls in an effort to cut out bolshie people like me and catch those who might worry more and be more suspectiable. Also if you have to press 1, who is then paying for the call? 

3 minutes ago, Mr T said:

I have had the Amazon and the ISP phone calls, but calls are not as frequent as they used to be. I think they are going for the automated calls in an effort to cut out bolshie people like me and catch those who might worry more and be more suspectiable. Also if you have to press 1, who is then paying for the call? 

You will be. I shudder to think how much Someone would be charged if they pressed 1.

Don't do it!!!

1 minute ago, Whofan said:

You will be. I shudder to think how much Someone would be charged if they pressed 1.

I had a thought it would be, makes sense, even if they can't scam you the lowlifes are still making money. 

As a bona-fide member of the Nigerian Royal Family, I am now struggling to find someone willing to help me access my offshore billions. These scammers spoil things for us honest folks!!!!!!

HRH Quack

47 minutes ago, Mr T said:

I had a thought it would be, makes sense, even if they can't scam you the lowlifes are still making money. 

That IS the scam, to get you to press number 1 so they get £300  out of you.  The scam calls that I have received include:

1. Your email account has been compromised and will be closed down in the next 24 hours. press 1 to speak to a technician...

2. Internet router password has been compromised, your broadband account will be closed in the next 24 hours. press 1........

3. The Inland revenue has not been able to contact you and have issued an arrest warrant, to speak to an adviser press 1....

This last one is the newest scam and I'm sure they will catch a lot of people, they will panic on hearing that an arrest warrant has been issued and will press 1 to try and clear up the misunderstanding, it was the thought that I first had, then I thought it must be a scam.  Just be careful,  these were all pre-recorded messages and a real provider would not contact you this way.

The revenue one is new to me. These people obviously do not do their homework regarding how HMRC works, but yes, they will panic punters (a goodly number who will not have much clue about HMRC either). 

11 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Your email account has been compromised and will be closed down in the next 24 hours. press 1 to speak to a technician...

Probably  a good reply to that (assuming that you have a real PoS on the line and not an automated PoS), would be "OK, send me an email tomorrow confirming that".