A general question about Blenheims, for those who are interested

gingerbob

For me it has to be the Mk IV. Seeing that classic Roy Cross box art in Woolworths, back when I was a kid, was pretty inspiring. I think I had three of them over the course of my childhood.

71237854ca18a2ee96a3e649a9725e76

Coincidentally, I've just started the new Airfix IV. It's quite a change from the original!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

For me it has to be the Mk IV. Seeing that classic Roy Cross box art in Woolworths, back when I was a kid, was pretty inspiring. I think I had three of them over the course of my childhood.

71237854ca18a2ee96a3e649a9725e76

Coincidentally, I've just started the new Airfix IV. It's quite a change from the original!

Cheers,

Mark.

Built that in the French markings when it was first released...now long gone to the plastic kit heaven! Have the 1:48 kit in the stash which will be done as a Malayan campaign aircraft. 👆

Cheers,

Pete M.

• Like 1

Thanks for putting those links up, Ed.  I started "reviewing" the second one, which I remember, but is worth staying in touch with.

My mission to the model contest yesterday was successful- I secured a 1/48 Airfix Blenheim... and some other things on my wish list.

I've got to say that some of the photos I've recently looked at of Mk.Is make them look rather sleeker, and less "clunky" than my prior mental image.

Well there is no shortage of schemes for your Blenheim. In fact you could do a few years of (average paced) modelling and make nothing but Blenheims - all in different schemes with different back-stories, often ineffectual but never boring. I have done half-a-dozen and plan to do more!

I particularly like this one..............

the RAF’s state of the art nightfighters and their pugnacious appearance with radar, flame damping exhausts, sinister overall black finish and five forward firing guns belied their general ineffectiveness.

from here...............

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235034300-blenheim-1f-nightfighter-600-sqn/

Ah, nostalgically for me it is the Mk.IV (original Airfix kit being the first multi-engine kit I assembled so long ago).I really would like to do whichever version in Greek and Yugoslav markings, though.

6 hours ago, DennisTheBear said:

I really would like to do whichever version in Greek and Yugoslav markings, though.

No sooner did I read this than I find in RFI:

If you haven't seen it yet, it is sure worth a look!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/16/2019 at 7:14 PM, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

I suppose what I really admire about the Blenheim are the crews, especially the RAF ones but the other nations too. They went out, often knowing they were in an outclassed and out gunned crate and did their job. To paraphrase another modeller, 'the Blenheim was the horse from the Charge of Light Brigade'.

Recently read Max Hastings Bomber Command and couldn't agree more. Swayed by the Airfix artwork Mk IV in Free French for me. Hopefully a conversion or new kit in 48th will appear.

• Like 1