IJA Type 99 Army Assault Plane Ki-51 `Sonia`

Hi Everyone,

Glad so say I`ve finally finished my attempt at building a `Sonia` from Wingsy Kits 1/48 kit

EHyxVk8.jpg

Finished to represent an aircraft of the 27th Hikosentai, Burma, 1942 ( Oh why did I chose _that scheme and _that armament ! )

fsWWfHg.jpg

Built almost entirely from the box contents, the only additions being the aerial wires

rdRDGqV.jpg

I found the kit to be a bit of a struggle and, because of Wingsy`s `why make a part out of one piece when you can make it out of five` approach, a bit of a chore too 

Qtanx62.jpg

The fit of the parts is great and the level of detail is very high.........

HKqzcgn.jpg

....but the plastic is very similar to Kitty Hawks `Twougar` kit and is hard to sand and doesn`t stick well ( I found Humbrol Liquid cement worked best )

qT8EtC4.jpg

The opening part of the pilots canopy isn`t a good fit either, it`s very thick and really needs a vac formed part.

eKYD6ud.jpg

Still, got there in the end and am glad to have one in the collection.

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 40

Hi

Nice kit of of a nice plane! Finally I get to see one of these Wingsy kit finished…..It looks very tempting.

How did you get the mottles done? Looks like airbrush for the center and hand painted for the rest???

good job😉

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, phil23 said:

Hi

Nice kit of of a nice plane! Finally I get to see one of these Wingsy kit finished…..It looks very tempting.

How did you get the mottles done? Looks like airbrush for the center and hand painted for the rest???

good job😉

Thanks Phil, It`s all hand painted. After the green I painted grey blobs all over, then did smaller brown blobs in the middle of those. Next with brown still and a small short stiff brush stippled around the outside of the brown blobs to soften it up a bit. Took a few evenings to do.

Cheers Russ 

• Like 3

Fantastic rendition of a 'little' complicated scheme. I thought a long time about this for my own Sonia since it is such a rare camouflage but finally decided against it. It's too time-consuming - more than a 'few' evenings I guess - and the scheme unfortunately is not 100% confirmed whether brown over green vs. green over brown.

I admire your dedication to achieve this and the great photography as always.

Cheers, Michael

• Thanks 1

Nicely done.  Coincidentally I was looking at my Hasegawa one last night, but put it back in the box with no further work done, and turned my attention to a Lily.  I haven't seen this camouflage before; mine is intended to be a blue one - but which blue?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

mine is intended to be a blue one - but which blue?

Graham,

There is some doubt about blue-coloured Sonias. The ARMY Air Force probably used blue in the anti-submarine role - this would then have been the mission of this specific (often reproduced) Sonia, whose Sentai history is otherwise unknown IIRC. The blue is described in Nick's article here: http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2011/02/sentai-hombu-blues.html

There is also a recent book about Japanese anti-submarine activities which covers the Ki-51. I don't know, however, if it's clarifying the colour since I don't own it. http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2018/03/new-book-japanese-anti-submarine.html

Arawasi Eagle Eye Series No.1 includes a short caption about blue Sonias with colour profile. http://www.arawasi.jp/salebook.hp/aramag/eye1.html

Hope this makes your decision easier.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Nicely done.  Coincidentally I was looking at my Hasegawa one last night, but put it back in the box with no further work done, and turned my attention to a Lily.  I haven't seen this camouflage before; mine is intended to be a blue one - but which blue?

I finished a Hasegawa one recently (need to post pics), went for single grey colour scheme for ease of painting. Had to scratch build a lot of cockpit detail & added racks/bombs from the Hasegawa Nell. Lily should be good.

Just to make clear that it is my Sonia which is intended to be blue, not the Lily.  I'm aware of doubts about the scheme but perhaps there are even more directed against the Oscar!

I have the book, but it deals largely with dedicated ASW types not those of other types that may have been hauled into use in desperate times.  I'm pretty certain that it says nothing about blue Sonias.

• Like 1