Pre-Cut Kabuki Tape Masks 1:72 & 1:144

Mike

Pre-Cut Kabuki Tape Masks

1:72 & 1:144 New Ware Masks

boxtop.jpg

Some of you may already know the name New Ware if you're into Real Space modelling, as they have an impressive line of original resin kits, conversions, decals and masks for many of the well-known rockets, and they're a great source of upgrades for the older styrene Real Space kits from the likes of Revell, Airfix and Dragon.  From their mask making experience they have been building a line of masking sets for aircraft too, which we have recently discovered while drooling over the resin kits and talking to Tom, the owner.  He has kindly sent us a batch of these masks in various scales, which are appropriate for many mainstream kits, and it's surprising quite how busy he has been expanding his range.  If you look at Hannants under the New Ware name you'll see pages and pages of sets that are well-priced and are very details in what they include.

We reviewed the 1:48 masks here, and this second review will deal with the 1:72 and 1:144 masks, and at the bottom you'll see a dedicated link to Tom's Wares (see what I did there?) at Hannants to give you an idea of the breadth of the range.  Each set arrives in a Ziplok bag with the masks visible, and a detailed instruction sheet that is folded within the bag and acts as protection for the masking sheet.  Some of the yellow Tamiya kabuki tape is supplied on a plain blue backing paper, while others have a printed grid behind it (due to a temporary shortage of the plain) which can obscure the location of the masks at certain viewing angles.  A drawing of the location of each part is supplied on the instructions, and on the placement guide an asterisk (*) shows where it is best to begin applying the masks for improved accuracy.  The instructions also recommend ensuring that the paint is thoroughly dry before beginning masking (which is common sense), but also informs you that the masks can be applied wet to a wet surface for greater accuracy, with the exception of those marked with a crossed through W, which is a new technique to me.  I'm assuming that you would then need to allow the masks to dry off before proceeding with painting, and can't wait to try it.  I may be getting old, but I do still like new things :)

1:72 Vickers Wellington Mk.Ia/c BASIC Kabuki Masks (NWAM0462 for Airfix)

This sheet contains canopy, bomb-aimer's window, turret, bomb bay windows, and fuselage side window masks, wheel masks, a mask for the base of the astrodome (use liquid mask/tape for the complex curves), and landing lights.

nwam0462.jpg

bin.jpg

1:72 AVRO Shackleton AEW.2 Kabuki Masks (NWAM0465 for Revell)

This set covers that greenhouse of a canopy, has a mask to help you cut the line between the canopy and anti-glare panel neatly, the landing lights, astrodome, the various side windows, circular door windows, nose glazing, glazing for the rear stinger, two-stage hub masks for the main wheels, and masks for the tail wheel.

nwam0465.jpg

bin.jpg

1:72 Convair B-36, RB-36F, RB-36H Peacemaker BASIC Kabuki Masks (NWAM0594 for Revell/Monogram)

Starting with the huge, complex goldfish canopy and nose glazing, it also includes a full set of edge masks for the sighting domes dotted around the fuselage to allow the gunners to manage their remote turrets, after which the complex curves will need additional masking either using liquid mask or tape pieces.  The rest of the masks are taken up with masks for both sides of the eight large main gear wheels, and both sides of the twin nose wheel tyres.  Two of the tiny wedge shaped masks have been weeded out in my sample, and replaced by a small piece with new masks for those parts.

nwam0594.jpg

bin.jpg

1:144 Antonov An-225 Mrija BASIC Kabuki Masks (NWAM0550 for Revell)

Revell's behemoth is pretty much all wheels, and so is the masking set with 28 of larger masks for both sides of the 14 main wheels, and eight for the four smaller front wheels.  The canopy is also masked up, as are the tiny portholes on the fuselage sides, and a set of end-masks for the leading edge stripes on the vertical tails

nwam0550.jpg

bin.jpg

1:144 Antonov An-225 Mrija ENGINES Kabuki Masks (NWAM0551 for Revell)

The six engines of the Mrija have some complex colour requirements that would take some masking without this set.  It includes six each of masks for the interior of the intake lip, the front and rear engine faces, the strip around the metal intake lip for a clean demarcation, plus the two shapes of heat-resistant metal on the underside of the pylons, with brief instructions helping with the painting sequence of the engines, two of which (the middle engines on each wing) have different shaped pylons and therefore masks to the others.

nwam0551.jpg

bin.jpg

Conclusion

It is clear that these masking sets have been well thought out, and a lot of care has gone into their design to maximise their use to the modeller.  They are well-priced, and I'm looking forward to using them soon if I ever get any modelling done!

Extremely highly recommended.

See the full range Available in the UK from importers H G Hannants Ltd.
bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif