Foxbot digital camo mask for Ukranian Su-27 Flanker

Riggers

Guys, I really do need help!

I have bought the digital camo masks from Foxbot (FM 72-003) & the placement instructions (numbered) seem to be ok, but the rest of the instructions are translated from Russian.....BADLY!!

Now, can anyone help in what order to lay the masks down & what colour to spray first (grey, sky blue or light blue). This is the first time I have attempted to do such a scheme, but I'm baffled!! Lol....

Please help......any help!! Thanks all.....

It is hard to tell what the instruction really means without seeing the actual masks.

As I understand looking at the pics, the mask consists of lower 'paper layer' and top 'vinyl layer', lower surface of 'vinyl layer' covered with glue so it sticks to 'paper layer'.

It is suggested that the a piece of masking tape (not included, lets call it 'top layer') is put atop the 'vinyl layer' so it sticks to it, then the 'paper layer' is removed exposing the glue and the sandwich of 'vinyl layer' and 'top layer' is positioned and applied to the model, so it sticks. After that the 'top layer' is removed, as well as a part of vinyl layer that forms a mask. 

Hi Alexey,

Many thanks for the translation, but......the paper (and that's what it is) is simply a die-cut Oramask Masking Film 811 with the camo detailing ready to be peeled off & stuck to the Su-27. Just like any camo/cockpit mask you get on the Tamiya type masking sticky paper.

The issue I have is, what (colour) gets sprayed first, then what mask gets laid down first & so on. I've never attempted anything like this, but I just love the Su-27 & love the digital camo effect!

Thanks............

3 minutes ago, Riggers said:

Hi Alexey,

Many thanks for the translation, but......the paper (and that's what it is) is simply a die-cut Oramask Masking Film 811 with the camo detailing ready to be peeled off & stuck to the Su-27. Just like any camo/cockpit mask you get on the Tamiya type masking sticky paper.

Now think, how are you going to put this mask on? The method suggested makes perfect sense

4 minutes ago, Riggers said:

The issue I have is, what (colour) gets sprayed first, then what mask gets laid down first & so on.

The instruction does not say anything about it. Use common sense. I would put base light blue, then apply grey, then dark blue. Important thing - you don't apply the _entire_ sheet,  you spray it pattern by pattern. 

8 minutes ago, Pin said:

The instruction does not say anything about it. Use common sense. I would put base light blue, then apply grey, then dark blue. Important thing - you don't apply the _entire_ sheet,  you spray it pattern by pattern. 

So, I spray the whole upper surface light blue first, then what mask goes on first? Assuming I then spray grey over that first mask......leave that mask on, then apply the next colour. Once all colours have been sprayed, remove ALL masks to reveal full digital camo effect?

Sorry to sound thick, but I just don't get it!! Apologies.....could a guide like 1. Do this....2. do this....3. do this......4. do this etc, etc.....

I can't tell, I don't have the mask.

But concluding from these photos 

20161118_184314.jpg.a6e620f5dedec00fd091 20161127_114736.jpg.6468ce751948780d2b0e

the model was first sprayed blue overall, then masks for dark blue were applied (the unmasked gaps, as the instruction suggests, were filled with something else, presumably ordinary masking tape), then ALL the masks were taken off (there is no overlap between light gray and dark blue "islands") and the plane was remasked again for "gray" spay, again, gaps were masked with something else, 

Wahey! Cracked it!!

Step 1 - overall spray light grey

Step 2 - mask light grey

Step 3 - spray dark blue

Step 4 - mask dark blue

Step 5 - spray light blue

Step 6 - remove all masks

Sound about right?

4 hours ago, Riggers said:

Wahey! Cracked it!!

Step 1 - overall spray light grey

Step 2 - mask light grey

Step 3 - spray dark blue

Step 4 - mask dark blue

Step 5 - spray light blue

Step 6 - remove all masks

Sound about right?

I've got the 48th version of these masks (yet to be used).  The masks are the same shapes as the grey and dark blue areas, which suggests to me that the light blue cannot be masked ie that must be the last one sprayed as per what you've written above.

I've also got some similar F-16 aggressor stencils (Japanese) which do specifically tell you to paint the darkest colour first and the lightest one last, which would be inline with your Steps 1 to 6 - though normally I'd apply the lightest colour first if masking camo.

Mike

1 hour ago, FortyEighter said:

light blue cannot be masked ie that must be the last one sprayed

I don't really see why. It depends on what part of the mask do you remove and what part do you leave on the model. Swapping them would reverse your paint order.

Not sure I explained it well, but suppose you want to paint a white rectangle on back background. There are two ways

- paint the whole thing black, put a mask that has a rectangular shaped hole, covering edges, exposing the middle, spray while

- paint the whole thing white, put a rectangular mask that would covers the middle, exposing the edges, spray black

4 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

I've got the 48th version of these masks (yet to be used).  The masks are the same shapes as the grey and dark blue areas, which suggests to me that the light blue cannot be masked ie that must be the last one sprayed as per what you've written above.

I've also got some similar F-16 aggressor stencils (Japanese) which do specifically tell you to paint the darkest colour first and the lightest one last, which would be inline with your Steps 1 to 6 - though normally I'd apply the lightest colour first if masking camo.

Mike

Same here Mike, I'm close to the painting stage on my kit and it seems the only way is to spray the light blue at the end. 

6 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Thanks guys so, so much for your help.

I've thought & thought & I feel that I have it correct......in my head anyway!

I do know that "usually" you spray lightest first then progressively darker, but in this case, you simply can't because of the masks supplied.

All the very best to all.......

3 hours ago, Riggers said:

Thanks guys so, so much for your help.

I've thought & thought & I feel that I have it correct......in my head anyway!

I do know that "usually" you spray lightest first then progressively darker, but in this case, you simply can't because of the masks supplied.

All the very best to all.......

I think i understand why they suggest to use another layer of masking tape, EXACTLY TO MAKE IT POSSIBLE TO BLOW THE LIGHTER COLOUR FIRST!

Now I see what he means buy "fields". You blow "darker" colour into the "hole". 

IMG-20191016-225000882.jpg