P-40N ML-KNIL, New Guinea. 1/72 Academy

Creepy Pete

Hi all,

I will be building the 1/72 Academy P-40 for this GB. It will be done as a dutch one from 120 Sqn, which was part of the RAAF durng the war. The markings will be sourced from a Flevo Decal sheet, and I might paint some of them, due the to rather heavily weatherd look of the real ones. I'm not 100% sure yet which one I will do, but the one leading the flight on the photo below is a good candidate. It looks like it got some new engine panels at some point, or they were repainted, as the appear darker, and the serial just in front of the cockpit is also missing.

1LjLp1V.jpg

I made a start on it this weekend, with some interior green (MRP) and aluminium paint. It looks like a nice and simple kit with decent fit.

UDdVRBh.jpg

I also painted the bit behind the seat in the interior green colour, but I've read that this was actually the same colour as the fuselage, so olive drab?

Thanks for looking,

Pete

• Like 2

Made some good progress this week. Such an easy kit to work with.

Cockpit all done and fuselage closed:

9O5N388.jpg

After that, the wings were added, with one needing a wee bit of encouragement. Also the few seams that were there, got some filler added:

VRWiRxw.jpg

And here's how it looks now, with the first clear part added:

TpvqWbi.jpg

Edited by Creepy Pete
  • Like 3

I've started painting it. A few days ago I gave it a coat of Tamiya XF-20, and today I started with the top coat of Gunze's Olive Drab with some very light grey added for a faded effect, and a slightly darker tone on the engine section. After that I masked off the H on the tail and sprayed it with Gunze's Neutral Grey. Next up will be the underside.

3HbmNuH.jpg

Lbu34yj.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...