Helicopter / Autogyro / STOVL GB Chat

39 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Jaime

Absolutely you still have lots to do, and I am always keen on using GBs as an opportunity for people to finish their builds of they are applicable.

Its not long now, I'll need to get organised  !

cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat! It'll be a pleasure to participate 😊

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Ok two for this GB an impending change of job and the cut down of modelling time that comes with it means the 1/48 Airfix Merlin offer from my eldest has

had to be declined(sadly) so I'm turning to the Hobbyboss Huey in the stash and their Mi-8 Hip which has just been ordered from KK.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 8:59 AM, theplasticsurgeon said:

<images removed from quote>

Pitching in with this Sioux.

Having forgotten about:

The Chinook,

The Apache, and

The Cobra, all residing in my stash.

as this GB drawas closer, I'd like to pledge a helicopter and a fast-jet - this being the most likely suspect:

Italeri-F35-B-Lightning.jpg

but there are several Harriers lurkng in the stash.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 10:03 PM, desert falcon said:

Hi Pat,

If you can squeeze one more on the list, I’m in please. Got a couple wokka’s in the stash. 

Thanks

Johnny

I was really looking forward to this GB but as I was made redundant the other day the next couple of months will be spend on packing and repatriation 😐

Hope to be back modelling in automn, in the mean time I’ll just get some free “psychological counseling” here on BM, in between packing boxes. 

• Sad 6

This GB crept up on me ..... yes I'd like to take part - a few choppers in the stash but KP Mil4 and Azur Cierva C30 favourites at this stage. I am presuming Fiesler Stotch is a possible allowable type? -  i have a few.....

• Like 2

On 6/5/2020 at 5:11 PM, Whirly said:

1) Agusta Bell AB47J converted from the Italeri H-13. Have to check how the current status converts in completion percentage.

On 6/5/2020 at 10:15 PM, JOCKNEY said:

The host is very flexible with the 25% started rule as he likes to see as many kits being built and finished in a GB as possible !

Hi Pat,

first, thank you for the welcoming words!

I checked the status of my AB47J, I'm not sure if it is eligible despite still missing a lot:

- shape milliput fuel tanks

- mate clear cabin with floor, then add all external details to make it resemble a monococque metal structure and not a painted perspex bubble...

- find a way to depict the multi-grilled engine side covers

- replace (broken) skids with pontoons

- paint everything

- make my own decals

- add all final details.

To me it's quite a list of to-dos, but I understand others may be of a different opinion  :smile:

2020-06-18_12-20-01

By the way, I heard I need to hurry up finishing this model even if not eligible for the group build :swear:

• Like 3

Hobby boss Hip arrived and it's a little  beauty but change of plan,stumbled on a new tool Airfix Sea king on ebay and got it for a very reasonable £12

so I'll keep the Huey for the Vietnam GB and do the Sea King.

• Like 4

On 6/15/2020 at 2:35 PM, desert falcon said:

I was really looking forward to this GB but as I was made redundant the other day the next couple of months will be spend on packing and repatriation 😐

Hope to be back modelling in automn, in the mean time I’ll just get some free “psychological counseling” here on BM, in between packing boxes. 

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully better things will be coming your way soon as a result of the change in circumstances.

• Thanks 1

My first kit in this GB will be the Airfix Westland Sea King HAR Mk.3. That's the 1983 revision of the 1969 Sikorsky Sea King kit, not the "new" Westland Sea King kit. 'Cos I like rivets on a kit when they were actually on the real thing, or something like that. I gladly picked this up second hand last year, having turned my nose up at it for who knows how long. I can be funny like that.

145825-17841-81-720.jpg

Hopefully, there will be a second chopper, and maybe even a third.

• Like 3

On 5/27/2020 at 6:23 PM, Dermo245 said:

Right so - will be in with an Airfix Kaman SH-2 Seasprite and Italeri AH-6 with a twist 😎

Cheers,

Dermot

17 hours ago, stevej60 said:

One of my faves Dermo, nice one.

Seconded, the Airfix Seasprite s a lovely kit. I remember building it at Christmas, probably only a few months after it was released. Needless to say, I have another in the stash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/06/2020 at 15:18, Whirly said:

Hi Pat,

first, thank you for the welcoming words!

I checked the status of my AB47J, I'm not sure if it is eligible despite still missing a lot:

- shape milliput fuel tanks

- mate clear cabin with floor, then add all external details to make it resemble a monococque metal structure and not a painted perspex bubble...

- find a way to depict the multi-grilled engine side covers

- replace (broken) skids with pontoons

- paint everything

- make my own decals

- add all final details.

To me it's quite a list of to-dos, but I understand others may be of a different opinion  :smile:

2020-06-18_12-20-01

By the way, I heard I need to hurry up finishing this model even if not eligible for the group build :swear:

Hi @Whirly

You are good to go for this GB, however given your head start you also have to build something else if you have anything in the stash, count yourself lucky it's not @Enzo Matrix hosting this with his war cry of....

BUILD THEM ALL !

cheers Pat

• Like 2

@JOCKNEY

Pat, I’m thinking 1/144 Sea King, 1/144 Harrier, 1/egg scale Harrier, then In reserve I have 1/144 Wessex, 1/72 Short SC1 resin kit

and copious 1/72 Harriers, oh and the same F35B as Tim. 

Thats what I can see at the front of the stash, let me delve deeper...... I may be some time..................

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @Whirly

You are good to go for this GB, however given your head start you also have to build something else if you have anything in the stash, count yourself lucky it's not @Enzo Matrix hosting this with his war cry of....

BUILD THEM ALL !

cheers Pat

Of course Pat, this is only one of the builds I'm planning, thank you for closing two eyes on the general rules! :innocent:

• Haha 1

I'll throw this question out here as we'll have a concentration of chopper fans dropping in,Can you do the apollo recovery HC-3 from the new tool Airfix?

kit,I have the old tooling but when it arrived there were glazing issues and it probably won't get build,decals were good though.

edit,oooh no found an excellent article waaay to complicated it'll be easier to source some glazing!

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 11:22 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Dates are 27 June to 18 Oct 2020

Why no one posted this video on June 20th:

as a motivation for those who have not yet decided on the choice of model's?

😉😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2

13 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I'll throw this question out here as we'll have a concentration of chopper fans dropping in,Can you do the apollo recovery HC-3 from the new tool Airfix?

kit,I have the old tooling but when it arrived there were glazing issues and it probably won't get build,decals were good though.

edit,oooh no found an excellent article waaay to complicated it'll be easier to source some glazing!

Re the glazing issues: I'll do some dry-fit tests ahead of starting the actual build. That's not cheating, is it? 😏

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Hope I can slide this one in while Enzo is engaged elsewhere...

Which one to build?....

50032587358_3eec611b74_b.jpg

Hes always watching you know, dont tease him or there will be consequences  !

• Haha 2

Apologies to all, but I'm going to have to drop out of this GB before it even begins.  Seems I've succumbed to a heart attack and am now, for the second day, home recuperating with a brand new, triple bypass, and a bright shiny new Pacemaker installed.  I'm not going to be able to make the trek down to my modeling dungeon for the foreseeable future so I'm going to respectfully bow out of this GB.  Again, my apologies to all.  :(

• Sad 10

15 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Depends on your need for accuracy: in order of relevance I'd say:

- use the five-bladed tail rotor supplied as an extra

- reshape the main blade roots to the angled metal variant

- delete the bulge on the left doghouse

Much more to do if you want absolute accuracy, this is the minimum.

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I know nothing about helicopters, can see I’ve entering a chinook, and the recent 1/72 Revell issue as MH-47E/HC3, my question is can I do an earlier HC1 from that kit?

You can leave out the extra-large sponsons which are anyway a painful addition to build the kit as intended, problem is that you are left with a radar nosed transparency and composite (angled root) rotor blades which are not *always* right for an HC1.

EDIT: Depends on the era. If you want a very early HC1 as delivered it had metal blades, soon after they started refitting composite blades. For example if you want to do Bravo November in the Falklands you wouldn't need to change the blades.

You still need to find a replacement nose though. 

Edited by Whirly
  • Thanks 1