Helicopter / Autogyro / STOVL GB Chat

2 hours ago, John Masters said:

What's on your bench for this one Steve?

Hi John,just kicked off with a Hobbyboss Mi-8 to be followed by a new tool Airfix then Fujimi Sea King for this one.

• Like 1

Against better judgement the Cobra has made it's way from the stash to the desk next to the bench.  I'll post start ups later after I get the parts washed, as there is no rush to start this as it's going to get juggled amongst the B-25, B-58, and RF-4E.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Erwin said:

I just pre-ordered this one today.

If all goes well,I shall build it in this GB.

5efb00001e59b.jpg

Goodness me @Erwin, I was blooming impressed with the 1/24 Spitfire Floatplane in another GB, this is even bigger !

If you carry on at this rate will we see a 1/2 scale B-17 in the Christmas Blitzbuild in December ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Goodness me @Erwin, I was blooming impressed with the 1/24 Spitfire Floatplane in another GB, this is even bigger !

Cheers Pat

Then you missed the 1/18 Hobby Boss Me 262 in the "ready for inspection".

And I bought the 1/18 Fw 190 last week.

96097655_2857375047721816_58637870519097

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 2

Hmmm...toying with this GB as I have the 1/48 Airfix Merlin (which I had the pleasure to do the troop trials for) and 2 x 1/48 Italeri Apache's - 1 has British Army decals but is not the enhanced WAH-64D that we had support us on Op Herrick. 

The problem is I have a bit planned for the BoB GB, so I need to stop myself over extending....

As @Dansk says, I also haven't built a helicopter since I was a kid.....hence the temptation to do an Apache and Merlin....

Airfix - why no crew!?

142703-11494-pristine.jpg

I have this:

206399-11298-57-pristine.jpg

Some how ended up with this as well (probably saw it and thought it was a more 'British' version!) - seems to just be a rebox with some UK and Dutch decals....

110036-22360-54-1080.jpg

If there are any Apache experts out there, was our initial build the same as the AH-64D (engines aside) and the lumps and bumps added after, or were they build with the UK additions? The Heritage Aviation detail set seems to be unicorn dust?

Heritage-Models-WAH-64D-Apache-Conversio

Im not a massive stickler for details, but if the plain AH-64D with UK decals on did exist then I could build it in the absence of the detail pack above....oh and typically no pilots....

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 4

Crashing the party... I have to say, not having been in on the preparatory discussions, that it seems a bit odd to have Harriers in a GB really meant for (I assume) Helicopters and Gyros!  [Edit: just a personal observation, not meant to stir up any feelings.]

I do have a Monogram Harrier, that I've tried to talk myself into whanging together, I have a Pitcairn Autogiro (Williams Bros 1/48) and I think only two helicopter kits at present.  No Enzo, I'm not going to build them all- not now, at any rate, and probably never at MY rate.  However, I'll let this notion simmer and see whether something develops.  Knowing me I'll use it as an excuse to buy some other kit that I didn't know I desperately needed until now...

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

If, and sadly it's a big if at the moment, I get time at least some of these are in the plan...

2020-07-03_11-37-42

Have both the CtA decal sheets with options for the first and second generation Harriers to keep me busy sometime in the hopefully near future.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 4

Before my Soviet sky crane (Mi-10--'Harke') arrives and I find a place to put it, I figured I'd build something for it to carry.  How about this?

50071639476_cac25e48d4_c_d.jpg

I'll have an RFI thread when it's finished.

--John

• Like 6

I was just wondering (as I see to be doing a lot of at the moment......), who else is building something in 1/35th or larger....aside from that humongous Huey!!! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

or larger

And a good thing this isn't 1/35th!  

50074078273_72427f02c6_c_d.jpg

"We're gonna need a bigger boat..."

Or  bigger bench, in my case.  This is a monster.  🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I was just wondering (as I see to be doing a lot of at the moment......), who else is building something in 1/35th or larger....aside from that humongous Huey!!! 

When you need a pair of steps or scaffolding to paint the top of your build, its time to ask for professional help or stronger medication.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, WhirlybirdModels said:

And the carrier aircraft were designed to to operated from a carrier in a STOL environment. 😊

Thanks WB.  A 'yes' or 'no' for GB compliance is sufficient.  😉

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Cool!

I must get to Scotland!

• Like 1

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 00:58, trickyrich said:

Hi Rich - I initially entered & voted for this GB after receiving this as a Birthday present last October...

IMG-6437.jpg 

I was really looking forward to this - as I've never built a chopper - but you don't tell your sister that when she turns up with a present.  So this GB was going to be the perfect 'baptism'.

My eyesight is now shot - so I'm out - but I'll be cheering everyone else on.  Everything looks brilliant to me now with blurred vision - even the missus is looking foxy :lol:

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

On 12/07/2020 at 16:01, BIG X said:

My eyesight is now shot - so I'm out - but I'll be cheering everyone else on.  Everything looks brilliant to me now with blurred vision - even the missus is looking foxy :lol:

Oh he's so brave when he's safely out of earshot :chair:

• Haha 1

I don't know if this one can be included as I found it lurking in a dark corner there are parts put together but most of it will be unpicked and restarted here's what I found.

It could be bordering on the 25% rule but I thought I safer to ask.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

I just thought I'd put a little message out, apologies to all because I have done very little commenting or liking on other peoples builds during this GB.  When it started I had little to no motivation, what with the world being up in the air.  I'm now getting back into it, and enjoying it again with three builds currently on the go, I'm just still struggling a bit with focusing on things.  My routine is all to cock still, I vary rarely leave the house as I'm working from home full time, and unless I need to go somewhere I'm of the mindset 'why should I risk my, and others health' etc.  So I'm not finding as much time to go on the forum despite being at home more, as I'm doing all kinds of hobbies for variety.  But know that I'm there in spirit, and I'm sure you are all doing a cracking job

Paul

• Like 3

Hi Paul @HoolioPaulio

Please relax, I haven't even started on my own builds yet and I am co-hosting the GB with @Col. !

There is no obligation on you to participate in discussions generally or on others builds, in fact it's not even mandatory to finish your own build, but I can assure you that you will get lots of encouragement and support to do so.

Many people just like to read what's on here, enjoy the picture, banter / humour story etc, so never feel you need to do anything you don't want to.

This is our hobby and it's supposed to be about relaxation, and if you are lucky and the moons aline something nice to look at when it's finished. Take care

kindest regards Pat

• Like 4