Helicopter / Autogyro / STOVL GB Chat

57 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Seeing as its you and as long as its an egg version of this type of aircraft .....

Yes ! 😉

:worthy: I have the perfect STOVL kit 

Happy New Year Pat. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Haha 2

I haven't read the whole thread now, but if anyone ever wants to build a Kestrel FGA.1...I've done it, and I'll tell you how in a build report. Based on two different Airfix kits and lot of putty. And I designed most of the needed decals which I'm willing to share… just in case someone is that careless…

• Like 2

Thanks for the invitation @JOCKNEY, very kind. After completing the Kestrel I'm definitely ripe for something simple… BUT I have so many started projects in the cupboard that I have to finish them first. But I keep the GB in mind.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nexus11 said:

Thanks for the invitation @JOCKNEY, very kind. After completing the Kestrel I'm definitely ripe for something simple… BUT I have so many started projects in the cupboard that I have to finish them first. But I keep the GB in mind.

Hi @nexus11

If you have something that is suitable for this GB even if its been started then please use this as an excuse to finish it.

Ideally it should be less than 25% completed but the host is very flexible with his interpretation of 25% !

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Really, tempting…

Unfortunately, with helicopters I have a bad habit of trying too hard: 

But I still have two nightmares from Glencoe Models and Mach2 in stock... who knows?

• Like 1

Way back in 2017,

for the ‘From Russia With Love’ group build; I had wanted to build this Autogyro.

A soviet version of a Cierva (Spanish) design based on the fuselage of the Soviet version of the Avro 504 (British), so quite an unusual mix.

All that happened was that I washed the parts, took a few off the runners, then I conked out.

I wonder; would it be possible to shift it over to this group build? If not, I have other Autogyros (the obsession has grown) and Mrs T can post one or two over or bring them when she visits me in late April.

Best regards

Anthony

• Like 1

On 07/01/2020 at 22:32, nexus11 said:

Really, tempting…

Unfortunately, with helicopters I have a bad habit of trying too hard: 

But I still have two nightmares from Glencoe Models and Mach2 in stock... who knows?

Hi @nexus11

Your MASH build looks the business congratulations. 

I can understand your reluctance to tackle either the Glencoe or Mach2 builds but this could be the ideal opportunity to tackle one of these. And i promise you will get lots of encouragement and support along the way !

cheers Pat

On 08/01/2020 at 03:52, TonyTiger66 said:

Way back in 2017,

for the ‘From Russia With Love’ group build; I had wanted to build this Autogyro.

A soviet version of a Cierva (Spanish) design based on the fuselage of the Soviet version of the Avro 504 (British), so quite an unusual mix.

All that happened was that I washed the parts, took a few off the runners, then I conked out.

I wonder; would it be possible to shift it over to this group build? If not, I have other Autogyros (the obsession has grown) and Mrs T can post one or two over or bring them when she visits me in late April.

Best regards

Anthony

Hi Anthony 

Absolutely please bring this one to the GB.

I was a bit concerned that Autogyros might be underrepresented but as you have managed to cover half a dozen countries and manufacturers with the same build, we're sorted !

cheers Pat

14 hours ago, Elmerfudd said:

Can you add me in to this too please - no idea what I will build yet though.

Pete

Hi Pete

Welcome to the GB.

Theres a wide variety of options open to you !

If you dont have anything in the stash let me know as i might have a few doubles i can help you out with.

cheers Pat

On 12/14/2019 at 11:46 AM, Aardvark said:

True Harrier it's 

Hawker P.1154 , modern Harrier it's compromise.

I have Maintruck   Hawker P.1154 but building frozen, because I have no idea about his cockpit. Maked own fantasy in cockpit  I don’t want, but if someone from members BM helps me with the drawings or the photo mock-up of the cockpit Hawker P.1154, I can continue the my building  in this GB.

I probably know what the P.1154 cockpit was based on!  But let's get it in order!  Many have advised me to take the P.1127 cockpit as a basis,

but the P.1127 cockpit is the cockpit of an experimental aircraft that is not equipped with weapons or a radar. B.w. until SHAR Hawker did not have any serial combat aircraft with radar, so based on Sea Hawk, Hunter or P.1127/Harrier/Kestrel family   is useless. So, when this based on project predecessor!  But which ones? As I think cockpit early iteration  P.1154 based on cocpit Hawker P.1121 or his interceptor predecessor P.1103.

For those who can read the drawings, here is the cockpit P.1121

Hawker_P1121-18-400x315.JPG

and here is the cutaway  of the late iteration P.1154.

vrrdop.jpg

As you see the location, the gun slight and the tube radar in the front cockpit are similar!

So now the question is, what was in the rear cockpit of P.1103?

B.R.

Serge

For the last whirlybird GB I did a Mach2 Westland Dragonfly. This time round I'll go for something a bit more straightforward like an Airfix Sea King, mind you I have another Dragonfly and a Mach 2 Squirrel in the stash as well as a couple of resin kits. Why does my sanity leave me when a Group Build comes along. 

• Haha 1

I didn't realise I could tidy out my Harrier/Sea Harrier stash on this GB as well. Now I'm clearly going to have a problem. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, 825 said:

I didn't realise I could tidy out my Harrier/Sea Harrier stash on this GB as well. Now I'm clearly going to have a problem. 

Go Team SHAR! :D 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nexus11 said:

Hi @JOCKNEY… I am not yet in as I assume the build has to be done in summer, the most unlikely time for modelmaking… anyway, what are the exact rules? I never participated in a groupbuild. 

Hi @nexus11

Please dont worry about a group build, there is no exam paper at the end I promise !

The rules such as they are, are very simple. My interpretation below.

1. The kit has to be less than 25% started unless its a refugee from a previous GB that needs finishing. 

2. The kit has to be applicable to the subject matter of the GB

3. You have to post some in-progress photos and updates between starting and finishing. 

4. Keep within the start and finish dates of the GB if you want your build to go in the GB Gallery. No obligation to go in the gallery if you dont want to !

5. Above all else, Enjoy yourself ! 😁

Thats about it. I can promise lots of encouragement and humour from the other participants along the way, but be warned GBs can become addictive !

cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elmerfudd said:

Thanks Pat,

I have a few to choose from - sadly, decision making is not one of my better points 🙂

I will have made a decision, oh, about 32 seconds before the GB starts 🙂 

Pete

Hi Pete

In the recent Frog Squad GB i had a poll on which Frog kit i should build due to my own indecisiveness, put a photo of the kit choices on here and it will give us all something to argue about till the GB starts 🤣

cheers Pat