Helicopter / Autogyro / STOVL GB Chat

I'd like to join this one if I can.  Hopefully it will work out, but I'm also joining the Corsair GB starting at the end of May so going to have to juggle them in my limited spare time.  I already have an Italeri 1/72 RAH-66 Comanche in my stash, if I can hold off on building it before then :) and there are several other choppers I fancy building, a Sea King of some sort (coast guard, or something fairly bright not drab grey), a Chinook of some sort, and one of those touristy type ones you can have a half hour ride in when you are holiday are just three that spring to mind.  More than likely though, I'll keep my eye out on Ebay for something that looks cool between now and then and see what I end up with.

• Like 1

I conceivably, maybe, might, possibly, probably have something suitable in the stash as per the list compiled recently for a post in CedB's Sioux build thread:

23 Sea Kings

16 Hueys

8 Chinooks

8 H-53s

8 H-60s

7 H-46s

5 Wessex

4 Kiowa/Jetrangers

3 Merlins

3 Lynx

2 HH-3 Jolly Greens

2 Pumas

2 Apaches

2 Cobras

2 Dauphins

1 Cayuse

1 Cougar

1 Seasprite

1 Skycrane

The likelihood is I'll end up doing a(nother) Sea King - maybe not, possibly, but in all probability, I will, though you never know, I might not, we'll see...

• Like 2

On 30/01/2020 at 13:52, HoolioPaulio said:

I'd like to join this one if I can.  Hopefully it will work out, but I'm also joining the Corsair GB starting at the end of May so going to have to juggle them in my limited spare time. 

I have one word for you.   Spreadsheet!   :lol:  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

I conceivably, maybe, might, possibly, probably have something suitable in the stash as per the list compiled recently for a post in CedB's Sioux build thread:

23 Sea Kings

16 Hueys

8 Chinooks

8 H-53s

8 H-60s

7 H-46s

5 Wessex

4 Kiowa/Jetrangers

3 Merlins

3 Lynx

2 HH-3 Jolly Greens

2 Pumas

2 Apaches

2 Cobras

2 Dauphins

1 Cayuse

1 Cougar

1 Seasprite

1 Skycrane

The likelihood is I'll end up doing a(nother) Sea King - maybe not, possibly, but in all probability, I will, though you never know, I might not, we'll see...

23 Sea Kings? In the stash? I I'm not too far behind you on Hueys. I have 13, including some of twin engined and/or 4-bladed versions. But Sea Kings? I'm not even in the race, if it ever were a race 😛

• Haha 1

I've already thrown my hat into the ring for this GB with a couple of Harriers.  However, I feel that a Harrier is a bit of a cop out in this GB.  So...   I'll still be building the Harriers, but I will also be trying my hand at these.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/LN72538

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/LN72539  

They could have gone into the current Nordic GB, but I'm pretty much maxed out there. 

11 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

...I feel that a Harrier is a bit of a cop out in this GB...

Hush your dirty mouth! There's nothing wrong with a leaping heap :bounce:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, klr said:

23 Sea Kings? In the stash? I I'm not too far behind you on Hueys. I have 13, including some of twin engined and/or 4-bladed versions. But Sea Kings? I'm not even in the race, if it ever were a race 😛

It started off as intending to build one of each UK military variant, which expanded to include European ones...

....then a joblot of seven cheap Fujimi kits led to US, Canadian and Japanese versions getting added to the list...

....and sub-variants and 'specials' got added, and somehow I've ended up with almost three dozen Sea King kits!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, andyf117 said:

It started off as intending to build one of each UK military variant, which expanded to include European ones...

....then a joblot of seven cheap Fujimi kits led to US, Canadian and Japanese versions getting added to the list...

....and sub-variants and 'specials' got added, and somehow I've ended up with almost three dozen Sea King kits!

Now there's a phrase I wish I could use myself sometime.

I have gone over the 30 kit mark myself, but with more predictable subjects: Spitfire, Bf 109, P-51 - and I'm getting there with the Fw 190 and Hurricane. Now that I think of it, I may have lots of Shermans as well.

21 minutes ago, klr said:

Now there's a phrase I wish I could use myself sometime.

I have gone over the 30 kit mark myself, but with more predictable subjects: Spitfire, Bf 109, P-51 - and I'm getting there with the Fw 190 and Hurricane. Now that I think of it, I may have lots of Shermans as well.

The best part was despite them coming from the US, they still only worked out at about seven quid each, including postage - back in the days before eBay's rip-off GSP...

I think the most I ever had of one aircraft type was back in the late 80's when I decided to build one P-51B, C or D of each 8th AF unit that flew them - Fighter Squadrons, Fighter Group 'Hacks', Scouting Force and Photo-Reconnaissance. I amassed somewhere in the region of 50 Airfix and Monogram Bs and Hasegawa Ds - only ever built around a third of them!

Edited by andyf117

On 26/01/2020 at 19:13, klr said:

Count me in! God, I'm really enthusiastic today. I hope I won't regret it. Now, which chopper to build from the stash?

Hi @klr

Great to have you with us.

If you are having trouble choosing you are very welcome to build more than one !

cheers Pat 

• Like 1

On 30/01/2020 at 13:52, HoolioPaulio said:

I'd like to join this one if I can.  Hopefully it will work out, but I'm also joining the Corsair GB starting at the end of May so going to have to juggle them in my limited spare time.  I already have an Italeri 1/72 RAH-66 Comanche in my stash, if I can hold off on building it before then :) and there are several other choppers I fancy building, a Sea King of some sort (coast guard, or something fairly bright not drab grey), a Chinook of some sort, and one of those touristy type ones you can have a half hour ride in when you are holiday are just three that spring to mind.  More than likely though, I'll keep my eye out on Ebay for something that looks cool between now and then and see what I end up with.

Hi @HoolioPaulio

Sounds like you intending to do multiple builds which is really great, the greater variety the better. Good luck.

cheers Pat

• Like 1

On 31/01/2020 at 18:24, andyf117 said:

23 Sea Kings

16 Hueys

8 Chinooks

8 H-53s

8 H-60s

7 H-46s

5 Wessex

4 Kiowa/Jetrangers

3 Merlins

3 Lynx

2 HH-3 Jolly Greens

2 Pumas

2 Apaches

2 Cobras

2 Dauphins

1 Cayuse

1 Cougar

1 Seasprite

1 Skycrane

Wow thats basically a Group Build in its own right !

Echoing @Enzo Matrixwe used a skycrane on a project recently, epic !

Good luck

cheers Pat 

On 03/02/2020 at 00:51, stevej60 said:

If I haven't already signed up I have now,no idea what to build but that's the fun of it!

A trip to the old church then  ;) 

I have one of those Harrier things in my stash that needs building .... helicopters scare me so count me in 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 9:24 PM, andyf117 said:

23 Sea Kings

16 Hueys

8 Chinooks

8 H-53s

8 H-60s

7 H-46s

5 Wessex

4 Kiowa/Jetrangers

3 Merlins

3 Lynx

2 HH-3 Jolly Greens

2 Pumas

2 Apaches

2 Cobras

2 Dauphins

1 Cayuse

1 Cougar

1 Seasprite

1 Skycrane

With this squadron, are you going to start some kind of war and conquer a small state ????

😲😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

Who says I haven't already? :wicked:

Because, logically, then your list should contain captured Mi-8/17 or Mi-24 as one of the most common helicopters for small states ..... although there is always a chance that you have occupied Liechtenstein, Monaco or San Marino?!  😉😁🤤

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

Because, logically, then your list should contain captured Mi-8/17 or Mi-24 as one of the most common helicopters for small states ..... although there is always a chance that you have occupied Liechtenstein, Monaco or San Marino?!  😉😁🤤

Or maybe I sold those types off to another small state? In the current economic climate, self-funding wars are en vogue...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Or maybe I sold those types off to another small state? In the current economic climate, self-funding wars are en vogue...

...and of course, the money from the sale

transfer to the organizers of this GB through offshore accounts 🤤😁....diverging guys, because I think, I know the winner of this GB !!!

😁

B.R.

Serge

• Haha 2