FAA heavy metal

While I wait for the postie to bring some proper white spray paint for the Sea Harrier, I thought I may as well start another classic Royal Navy fighter, the mighty Phantom!

I think there have been loads made of this new kit on here, all the ones I've seen look absolutely superb. I'll do my best and see how it goes. 

It's clearly a superb kit by Airfix, with all kinds of options. I'll be doing it with flaps, airbrakes and slats hanging down, but not folded wings. No idea if that's technically accurate or not but it's how I think models look best, so that's how I'll do it.

Amazing decal sheet. Most I've seen are the 892 sqn with red tail, but I'm tempted by the 767 sqn with yellow eagle, just for something a bit different.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

Very impressed with the kit so far, it all fits together beautifully. Nice cockpit too, with good decals and seats.

spacer.png

Do Phantoms need nose weight?

Unless you're making one to represent a later era, I believe you need to use the smoother underwing fitting, not the option with reinforcement plates.

spacer.png

• Like 7

Excellent choice of subject and a good start. I prefer the 767 Naval Air Squadron bird also, probably to do with that being the first RN Phantom's that I saw for real, being in that scheme.

Re the nose weight question. I'm not sure that a phantom would need it, but usually Airfix suggest that, if that is the case. A little lead shot in the extreme nose is never a bad idea though!

Terry

• Thanks 1

Being a brand new kit I didn't expect it would need as much persuasion as this to hide the joins!

The lower fuselage section was actually a bit of a pain in the bottom. I had to cut away some of the internal intake tubes just behind the splitter plates otherwise there was a massive step underneath (worst part is in photo 2, between the white elastic band & grey masking tape). I even checked whether I put the intakes in the correct way up (I had done) as it was such a poor fit. I found that the fuselage was a bit narrow so had to kind of squeeze it out in the middle to fit over the tabs on the upper part of the lower fuselage section.

I think I've coaxed it into submission now, but it'll need a bit of filler. Similarly that extra spine along the top of the fuselage wasn't a perfect fit either, it took a bit of squeezing and manipulating to fit flush on both sides. I thought it was a good idea at first, but then realised I just have two join lines to fill instead of one! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 8

14 hours ago, Paulaero said:

See what you mean about fit the Bucc has literally dropped together and the seam lines have melted away with plastic weld :banghead:

Stop it, you're making me want to buy one now! Wouldn't mind one in hemp like the preserved example at Hendon...

More clunky fitting, the fittings for the outer wings were far too big, and didn't slot into each other, leaving the outer wing join higher than the inner wing. Once I filed these down on both sides and just glued them to the tab it was fine. 

I thought this was meant to be one of Airfix's finest ever kits, but I seem to have the files and filler out an awful lot! What am I doing wrong?!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

I was surprised too Brian, I was expecting better fit. Maybe it's my ability that's amiss rather than the kit. The old Airfix Spitfire and Hasegawa Sea Harrier fitted together really well though and I haven't changed my technique! Perhaps you're right, it was a Friday afternoon job in the Airfix factory.

• Haha 1

On we go, and the new white spray is much better. Lesson learned; don't buy cheap alternatives!

I sprayed the white before the grey as it'll be far easier to mask this smaller underside area than if I'd done the grey first and had to mask most of the model.

spacer.png

• Like 1

After a break for my stag do and other stuff, I'm back on the Phantom. 

I'm pleased with how it looks after so much effort getting some major parts to fit, and lots of filling and sanding. Sprayed the EDSG over white, and sprayed the smaller individual parts for the flaps and slats, etc.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The bright red airbrake interiors look weird, but that's what the instructions say! I mixed black and silver to get the metallic exhaust area. I like it, it actually looks metal!

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Looks ok if you squint from a few feet away I guess! It was really difficult to get any touching up or detail painting to take over the gloss EDSG spray. The stuff is like varnish!

spacer.png

I used dirt wash on the tailplane to hide my rubbish brushwork.

spacer.png

Were RN Phantoms this dirty?

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

It looks to me like Airfix has the oleos the wrong way round in their instructions. If you make this kit they should be opposite otherwise they don't fit right.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Almost ready for all those stencils!

spacer.png

• Like 5

Great job on one of my fav aircraft !!

If no filling and sanding... where would be the pleasure of modelling a Phantom !! 😜

Nice choice of painting too !!

Now, the one tagged "Colonial Navy" is itching me... As soon as I have the decal sheet, I'll start her !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's been a quick build... and I did have several fit issues with mine, but I blamed that on trying some aftermarket replacement items.... for my first kit in 30 years was probably asking for trouble. The main gear (I've just fitted mine) was tight and yes I think they're wrong on the instructions too... but I've taken mine slowly.... I've a thread on here too. At the moment I'm treating it as having been a learning experience and with results that will probably look ok once tidied.... and with encouragement from others, I'll look to get a bucc too... although I've another room to build too. The engineering in the kit is very different from 30 years ago... Lots of it is good, some could have been better, but overall I like the approach. Keep the posts coming; you'll probably still finish before me.

Oh...  and the transfers.... give yourself a few evenings, and even here, they've missed a couple off the sheet.

Good work

Jonathan

• Like 1

I've seen your build @Jon020, it's looking excellent, kind of a benchmark for mine really. Your painting looks very neat, much better than mine. 

I'll be doing mine with the yellow bird on the fin, just fancied something a bit different. You're right about the decals, I'll be a while with those stencils!

Still not sure how dirty these got, especially the shore-based ones. Might just do a light coat of dirt wash.

• Like 1