The SABT for Yellow Sun

Hi All

I put my trolley build in the RFI Aircraft section, since it’s very aircraft related. If the moderators could sort this out, I would be happy!

It’s the Transporter, Bomb, Airfield, Standard, according to AP.4306A, Section 12 (A.L.28), also known as the SABT.

My bomb trolley project began when I visited General Melchett in May to attend the Cold War Jets Collection Open Day. I brought my measuring tape and at the Newark Air Museum I gave their SABT a very thorough measuring session. Coming home I began drawing the trolley. As you all know there is one at Cosford including the mud guards which are missing at Newark.

At that time, I was not aware of the fact that the SABT trolley never carried the live Yellow Sun, only the dummy round. The trolley was originally painted Traffic Blue. The bomb remnants at Newark is a very faded light blue with some stencilling in white. Does anyone know of any drawings or good images of the Type L bomb trolley for the Yellow Sun?

Here is my scratch-built version of the trolley, made from styrene sheets of different thickness, strips and rods, and wheels from the Mastercaster Victor inner main landing gear. It’s equipped with cradles for the Yellow Sun. SABT. Note that I have set it in the lowest position like in the photograph from Images of War. It's tiny, the frame is 20 mm wide and 60 mm long.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers all

Jan

• Like 27

An unusual subject but a superb build. These ground handling trolley's fascinate me. I've just completed on for the Soviet KH-20 "Kangaroo" cruise missile, from the A-Model kit, so not as skilful as yours!

A dummy yellow sun would look neat on that - Belcher bits and now AIM Transport wings do one. I have the Belcher Bits version. All that of course assumes the scale is 1/72, which judging by your dimensions above for the model. seems about right?

Terry

Hi Terry,

That's the one question I didn't want to answer….

First of all, everything is gibberish, as each decal is applied mirrored, and partly it's guesswork. The loading of a training round image above shows some stencilling, and in another image the front section has stencilling shown. In all my rendition is fairly OK, except for all individual letters and words.

The old Yellow Sun at Newark, very incomplete, has different stencilling, saying INERT AND PRACTICE only, and the tail end of the bomb is missing.

Cheers

Jan

spacer.png

Edited by Grandad
Added one word to clarify
  • Like 2

Hi Jan,

Well I'm sorry to have asked but I have to say it all looks extremely convincing! You certainly fooled me as I was sure I could just about read it!

Brilliant job!

There is probably a dark pun in that statement......

Terry

Lovely job, as ever Jan, all that measuring and working out with pencil and paper certainly paid off. The colours you mixed look just right. You could sneak it onto the table at Telford while Paul isn't looking, although I don't think it would quite pass for Interwar Years :whistle: 

We now need one in 1/48th!